Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: One Protogo drive for both PowerPC and Intel machines ?

One Protogo drive for both PowerPC and Intel machines ? 19 Jun 2011 11:06 #769

Is it possible to set up one Protogo drive that will boot both PowerPC-based Macs, and the latest MacBook Pros (spring 2011) on OS 10.6?

Bart
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: One Protogo drive for both PowerPC and Intel machines ? 19 Jun 2011 19:40 #770

No, because any installation of Mac OS X can boot only machines having either a PowerPC or an Intel processor, but not both. Protogo erases the entire destination device, and puts only one bootable volume on it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2011 19:42 by micromattech3.

Re: One Protogo drive for both PowerPC and Intel machines ? 19 Jun 2011 19:51 #771

Is there a way to make a Protogo device that will boot new MacBook Pros (Spring 2011, OS 10.6). I made one from an 8GB flash drive, using the 2.0.4 CD/DVD, but the MacBook crashes while trying to boot from it (black screen with error).

Bart

Re: One Protogo drive for both PowerPC and Intel machines ? 19 Jun 2011 22:51 #772

The system software in the Universal Profile, which is on the 2.0.4 bootable DVD, comes from an Apple Developer kit for making bootable DVDs. The system software version is on the disc label. If it is earlier than the one needed to boot a new model, then the Universal Profile will not boot that model.

With a larger flash drive, you could make a Protogo device using the Basic Profile, which copies system software files from your installation of Mac OS X on your startup volume. I suggest getting a 32 or larger GB device, so it can also be used to create an eDrive instead of a Protogo installation, using TechTool Pro 6.0.2 or later. I do not know exactly how large a USB memory stick would have to be to be used with the Basic Profile on your model.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: One Protogo drive for both PowerPC and Intel machines ? 21 Jun 2011 21:06 #774

For working on the PowerPC machines, a solution finally occurred to me. With Techtool installed on a MacBook Pro, all I have to do is boot the PowerPC machine in target disk mode while connected via a Firewire cable. Then, with the PowerPC hard drive mounted in the MacBook system, I can perform all the necessary diagnostics.

Bart
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds