Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Protogo (Techtool 12) doesn't disable computer from going to sleep!

Protogo (Techtool 12) doesn't disable computer from going to sleep! 13 Jul 2020 19:51 #12152

I have an older Mac, one which doesn't support the "Power Nap" feature found in newer Intel processors....

Booting from a Protogo flash drive so I could do a full defrag on the internal system drive. Noticed after a short while the display would go off and it seemed the optimization would stop UNLESS I moved the mouse every few minutes!

Since a full disk defrag/optimize takes many hours, I started one and went to bed. Next morning, the computer was quiet (no fan or disk sounds), and the display off. Woke up the computer (sounds of disk spinning up) and saw NOTHING HAD HAPPENED AT ALL overnight -- the computer had gone to sleep during the optimization process, pausing it!

Finally used the "pmset" terminal command to determine the computer was set to sleep using the default values.
Used the pmset command to set the disk & processor sleep values to Zero, disabling the disk & computer from going to sleep.
Only then was I able to have it run overnight and complete!

THIS IS A SERIOUS BUG! WHEN BOOOTED FROM A PROGO DRIVE, SLEEP SHOULD BE DISABLED!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Protogo (Techtool 12) doesn't disable computer from going to sleep! 13 Jul 2020 19:55 #12153

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including an Apple System Information report, which will enable us to try to reproduce this problem. The management of sleep is not the same on all models, and there may be something unusual about your combination of model and system software.

In the meantime, I can only suggest that you turn off sleep in the Energy Saver pane of system preferences after booting from the Protogo device.

Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo (Techtool 12) doesn't disable computer from going to sleep! 13 Jul 2020 21:02 #12154

I will.
When you build a Protogo drive with the "mimimal system" option, the System Preferences app is not included so there is no Energy Saver pane to access!

Protogo (Techtool 12) doesn't disable computer from going to sleep! 13 Jul 2020 21:44 #12155

Thanks for the additional details. I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this before.

The active TechTool Pro application should be preventing the computer from going to sleep, so I hope you will send the information previously requested.

The System Preferences application, which is in the /Applications folder, is very small in terms of disk space. The required system preferences pane is at /System/Library/PreferencePanes/EnergySaver.prefPane, and is also very small. You could try copying these files to the Protogo device, booting from it, and seeing if you can turn off sleep.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo (Techtool 12) doesn't disable computer from going to sleep! 14 Jul 2020 13:44 #12156

Unfortunately, I have a family member in the hospital so there may be a delay of a day or two, but I will getback to you soon.

Protogo (Techtool 12) doesn't disable computer from going to sleep! 14 Jul 2020 13:51 #12157

I hope your family member will be home and well soon.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds