Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How long for ProToGo “Minimal”?

How long for ProToGo “Minimal”? 12 Jul 2019 14:52 #11253

I am running ProToGo on my MacBook Pro for the first time. I burned the flash drive as “Minimal”. How long should this take?

I am on day FOUR of running the scan. I am on the last scan, Volume Structures.

The “Validation Progress” is on “Snapshot Metadata Tree” It has been running for 46 hours. This is, after all the other chicks and this one taking four days.

I don’t want to stop the scan because 1) It really needs to be done, 2) at this particular stage I don’t want to interrupt it because the first step is “Freeze Volume” and the last step is “Unfreeze Volume”. I don’t want to mess up my HD by stopping now.

My HD has been acting the way it has in the past when it was beginning to go and I had to replace it. I wanted to be proactive and run the ProToGo for the first time. I had no idea it would take this long.

Is it ok that I am beginning on day four?? That the Volume Structures has been on Snapshot Metadata tre for a day or so and the total Validation Progress for the Volume Stuctures is 44 hours???

This is the Pro To Go MINIMAL set up.

Please help! Is this normal? Should I stop? Will it damage my drive? Should I just leave it and let it run it’s course and it is normal to take four days????

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How long for ProToGo “Minimal”? 12 Jul 2019 15:01 #11254

There is no way to estimate how long it will take to create a Protogo device on a particular USB memory stick. Some of these devices that meet the USB 2 standard are ten times faster than others.

The Volume Structures test is a read-only test. I do not see how stopping it could cause any trouble, but I think it best for you to send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . At the least, we might want to check some error messages to see if they give any indication of why the test is taking so long.

For future reference, if a drive is exhibiting symptoms that you associate with failure, try the SMART test first if the drive supports it, and then run the Surface Scan to check for unremapped bad blocks. If the drive passes both the SMART test and the Surface Scan, then perform the Volume Structures test.

If a drive does have unremapped bad blocks, the Volume Structures test could take a very long time due to repeated attempts to read the blocks. If the drive is failing the Surface Scan, it should be replaced, and there is not much point in running the Volume Structures test.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How long for ProToGo “Minimal”? 12 Jul 2019 15:34 #11255

(Just quick response to your first paragraph, I am not creating the ProToGo I am running it. I think maybe that was just an error in what you meant to say...)

Was Surface Scan part of the Minimal ProToGo set of scans?

I don’t know how to check if it ran that test and whether it encountered any errors.

I will send my question to the email you provided. Thank you I sure hope I can copy and paste my question because it took some time to formulate on my phone.

How long for ProToGo “Minimal”? 12 Jul 2019 15:50 #11256

Thanks for the clarification. Protogo is the device. TechTool Pro and other programs are on the device. Within TechTool Pro, you launch the Protogo program, which creates the Protogo device.

A Protogo device has system software copied from your computer, using a profile you selected. The profiles all include TechTool Pro, with all of its features. The Reports feature in the copy of TechTool Pro on the Protogo device shows what tests have run, when they ran, and their results.

You can copy and paste text from the forums.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 12 Jul 2019 16:34 by micromattech3.

How long for ProToGo “Minimal”? 03 Sep 2019 23:29 #11359

USB Flash Drives are usually slow. The advertised speeds are never the actual speeds. If you connect an internal SSD to the USB port, it cuts the time significantly. There should be some sort of ETA on when it's going to finish.

How long for ProToGo “Minimal”? 03 Sep 2019 23:51 #11362

Apple's own progress bars are so prone to error that I actually saw one move backwards about two weeks ago. Progress bars are helpful, but updating them frequently makes the entire process take longer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds