Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Protogo USB installation failure and subsequent flash drive problem

Protogo USB installation failure and subsequent flash drive problem 29 Jun 2018 13:45 #9903

Hello,

Help please. I have two problems. I started to create a Mac OS X Basic Profile installation on a brand new Lexar USB 3.0 flash drive. The process started, but did not complete despite running for many hours. I now find that the flash drive is unusable. It will not mount onto the Desktop, although it has appeared in Disk Utility. I cannot repair or format it from there. I tried using the various TechTool repair options, but, again, the drive won't respond. It locks up Disk Utility and TechTool and I have to Force Quit.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Nick.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Protogo USB installation failure and subsequent flash drive problem 29 Jun 2018 14:37 #9904

I am sorry that you had such an outcome.

The brand new Lexar flash drive could be defective. If you have not used it before, there is no way of knowing.

If I had this problem, I would first restart the Macintosh and then see if Disk Utility can format the USB flash drive. Sometimes, when something goes wrong with Disk Utility or the system software tools it uses, the code gets corrupted in RAM, and a restart solves that problem.

If Disk Utility cannot perform a reformat after a restart, I would try to format the USB flash drive in a PC, if one is available to you. The PC will not recognize the MacOS Extended (journaled) volume format used by the Macintosh unless it has third-party software installed, and it should offer to reformat the drive. If that does not work, I would try to return the flash drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB installation failure and subsequent flash drive problem 29 Jun 2018 14:41 #9905

The USB flash drive should appear in the Surface Scan test, which on a flash device simply reads memory cells, one after another. The test is not affected by the type of partition map or the types of volumes on a drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds