Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Protogo 7.0.1 hardware compatibility

TechTool Protogo 7.0.1 hardware compatibility 20 Jun 2018 11:33 #9855

Is there a place where I can see which models are supported by the latest version of Protogo?

I've tried booting a couple of new MacBooks and iMacs (2017) but get the dark grey prohibited signal on boot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool Protogo 7.0.1 hardware compatibility 20 Jun 2018 12:35 #9856

It is not a question of which models are supported by Protogo, but which models can boot from the system software that was copied to the Protogo device. Clearly, the Macintosh on which you are running the Protogo feature of TechTool Pro should be able to boot from a copy of its own system software, but that system software may not be able to boot another model, because it does not have the proper video drivers.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: KGAM

TechTool Protogo 7.0.1 hardware compatibility 20 Jun 2018 13:02 #9857

Thanks, I think I got it. So I should build the Protogo boot device on the latest hardware available to me: if built on 2017 hardware it will be able to boot on 2017 hardware, correct?

And thanks for the heads-up on my username, it has now been changed. :-)

TechTool Protogo 7.0.1 hardware compatibility 20 Jun 2018 14:05 #9858

Yes, and thanks for updating your screen name.

It is possible that a Protogo device built on your 2017 model will boot some earlier model, if the system software on the 2017 model happens to have the video drivers for that earlier model. It seems that these days, if you download system software from Apple using a particular model, you get only the video drivers for that model. It probably makes sense not to waste space on SSDs for video drivers for different models.

Apple used to make available to developers a kit to make bootable DVDs. That kit, no longer available, included the video drivers for all models that could use the particular version of the system software that the kit supplied.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: KGAM
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds