Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Pro 9.6, Protogo 6.6.1, and drive formatting

TechTool Pro 9.6, Protogo 6.6.1, and drive formatting 22 Dec 2017 15:28 #9130

I have just begun to make a new flash drive backup of my computer, using the most updated Protogo version, within the most recent TechTool Pro. When making all of my choices and saving the Protogo profile I was going to use, I noticed that when asking how to reformat the new backup drive, none of the options was APFS. How will this work, then? If my Protogo drive is formatted in HFS+, will it be able to run High Sierra properly?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool Pro 9.6, Protogo 6.6.1, and drive formatting 22 Dec 2017 15:41 #9131

I will ask about this, but I believe it is it to be expected that APFS will not be a volume format option for creating the volume on a Protogo device. That option, if not available now, should be available later.

There is no problem with having an HFS+ volume on the Protogo device, regardless of whether your usual boot volume has High Sierra on it or the bootable volume on the Protogo device has High Sierra on it. APFS is optimized for SSD drives, and Apple is not yet reformatting other types of drives to have APFS when High Sierra is installed. They are reformatting only SSD drives.

Here is an interesting article about what happens today when APFS is used on a rotational drive, and a "copy" of a file is made:

Using APFS On HDDs … And Why You Might Not Want To
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.6, Protogo 6.6.1, and drive formatting 22 Dec 2017 20:28 #9132

We will wait until APFS is more mature before making it a volume format option for Protogo devices.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds