Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Basic Profile not installing any system…

Basic Profile not installing any system… 24 Apr 2017 15:48 #8171

Hi,

I don’t know whether or not the issue is related to the other threads where people were complaining that their Protogo devices didn’t boot, but I noticed with TechTool Protogo 6.0.2 (Build 16111801) that the app wasn’t installing any System on the device if I used the Basic profile (from macOS 10.12.4).
It seems to be fine with the minimal profile though… It’s just the basic profile.
Any idea on how I could one way or the other correct this? I can’t seem to be able to setup anything on the profiles themselves (beside adding third party apps)

Corentin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Basic Profile not installing any system… 24 Apr 2017 17:39 #8172

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

I do not recall seeing other reports of the Basic Profile not installing a System. I have seen reports in which people mistakenly believed that the process of copying the System directory was stalled or "going around in circles". On my iMac, a Protogo device made from he Basic Profile is roughly three times larger than one made with the Minimal Profile, and so it would take longer to be completed.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report, and some log files, so we can attempt to reproduce the problem. Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Basic Profile not installing any system… 24 Apr 2017 18:04 #8173

I sent an email.
The app tells me the drive will be using much more space indeed, but at the end, only 500MB of my drive is used (by the apps I added) and the system is nowhere to be found.
I just made a test with the Minimal system instead and everything went fine!

Corentin

Basic Profile not installing any system… 24 Apr 2017 18:37 #8174

Thanks for your cooperation, and for letting us know that you did in fact let the copying process finish, with only 500 MB of files copied.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Basic Profile not installing any system… 24 Apr 2017 20:14 #8175

Thanks to the Support through email, I got additional information that helped me figure It out:
As it happens, my user account on a secondary partition on my Mac (properly configured in the System through advanced users’ preferences, etc.).
If I attempt the same thing from a user account that’s located on the boot partition, then it proceeds as it should.
It looks like in order to create the Basic System on the external device, Protogo requires to be launched from a user account on the boot partition…

Corentin

Corentin

Basic Profile not installing any system… 24 Apr 2017 21:44 #8176

Thanks for posting the explanation, which makes perfect sense.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Basic Profile not installing any system… 30 Apr 2017 01:46 #8181

Unfortunately, I am having the exact same problem, running Protogo 4.0.5. I have tried on our Mac Mini as well as on my MacBook Pro. Both exhibit the exact same behavior as described above:

1. My 16GB USB drive shows 14+ GB free after all is completed.
2. Unlike the "minimum" profile, there is no Protogo Launcher folder on the drive
3. Looking at "Get Info" in Disk Utility, the drive lists "Bootable: no".

Again, this is on two different systems. Neither has multiple drives. Both are running the latest OS X Sierra.

I purchased ATOMIC, and would like to run it to test a computer with apparent memory issues, but the support there says it will not work on Minimal profile (which makes sense since there is no Finder access there), and so I needed to create a new Basic profile Protogo drive with ATOMIC on it to run the checks. But, of course, Protogo is now not functional.

Help?

Basic Profile not installing any system… 30 Apr 2017 01:52 #8182

The only suggestion I can make regarding this outcome is to create a new administrative profile, log in with that profile, and then attempt to create the Protogo device. If that does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in some additional information. Thanks for your cooperation.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds