Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Protogo drive doesn't boot

Protogo drive doesn't boot 10 Apr 2017 17:03 #8153

My software and hardware configuration:
OS X 10.10.5 (14F2315)
TechTool Pro 9.0.2 (2833-5844ad3)
TechTool Protogo 6.0.2 (Build 16111801)
MacBookAir4,2 --> MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011)

The Protogo drive with default "Mac OS X Minimal Profile" I created on an USB 64GB LaCie flash drive doesn't boot the Mac.
I can see and select it in the Startup Manager screen but it never completes booting (the loading bar under the Apple logo never completes). Is anyone having the same problem?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Protogo drive doesn't boot 10 Apr 2017 18:19 #8154

Use Disk Utility to verify that the USB memory stick is formatted with a GUID partition map and has a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume on it.

If there is enough space on the USB memory stick, try one of the other Protogo profiles. If that does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some other information, such as an Apple System Information report. Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo drive doesn't boot 17 Jul 2017 14:43 #8452

I upgraded to TTP 9.5.1 (that means TechTool Protogo 6.5.1 (Build 17042101), too) but I still have this issue.
I had the time to contact support only a week ago and I specified I'm using a mobile user account to create the Protogo USB drive. In the first reply I received the support representative was talking about the software not not being "developed for remote access compatibility", so I suppose my setup wasn't completely clear to them and I replied this way:
Thank you for your reply but I don't think you understand my setup.

Admittedly the PH25671 Apple KB is a bit unclear… I'm not remotely connecting to anything, I'm simply using a company Mac bounded to an Active Directory domain and I'm logging in on this Mac with an Active Directory network user account. This account is actually a "mobile account", meaning that the user account password is cached and it's possible to login with this user even when no connection to the directory server is available (please see attached screenshot "User details.png").

This is a very common setup in medium to big size companies, if these concepts are new to you I found this article explaining the types of macOS accounts:
community.centrify.com/t5/Express-for-Ma...-Mac-OS-X/ba-p/12324
Following the article terminology my account is a "mobile account" with no network home folder sync (as I said before we use mobile account only to cache the user account password).

The bottom line is that Protogo drives I create on this machine with this user cannot correctly boot this very same machine.

I sent this e-mail 6 days ago and I've not received any reply so far.
Attachments:

Protogo drive doesn't boot 17 Jul 2017 14:51 #8453

Thanks for your report.

I have forwarded you message to the beta administrator for TechTool Protogo. Once in a while, a legitimate message is sent to spam.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo drive doesn't boot 17 Jul 2017 21:28 #8456

We do not have Active Directory set up on our network. The beta administrator for Protogo suggests that you create a new administrative account, one that does not use Active Directory, on the Macintosh from which you are running Protogo. That will allow Protogo to copy the required files from the user account.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo drive doesn't boot 18 Jul 2017 16:27 #8457

I think that any directory service would fit the job (Open Directory for example, too), it doesn't need to be Active Directory. What's important is that it lets you create network/mobile accounts on the Mac.
Nevertheless, it would be very nice and useful in company environments if Protogo could cope with network/mobile accounts and create working Protogo boot drives even when run from a network/mobile account. Or, at least, recognise the account type and alert the user that it cannot create a drive from that account.
Please count my vote (and the votes of the two TTP 9.5 licenses owned by the company I work for) for this.

That being said, I followed your advice and created a brand new local administrator account I called Protogo Admin.
I worked on an iMac with macOS Sierra 10.12.15, my mobile account and another local account (please see attached screenshot). Next I logged in with Protogo Admin, fired up TTP, filled in the serial number, launched Protogo and built the drive using the "Mac OS X Basic Profile.
Then I had a big surprise: on the Protogo drive has not been copied the Protogo Admin user account, it has been copied my mobile user account! :o
I'm quite sure about this because if I boot from that Protogo drive I'm asked for the password of the mobile account (that is not accepted) and inside the /Users folder there is a folder named like the mobile account.
I did the operation twice and I got the same results.
So, what's next?
I really wouldn't like to have to install a new macOS system without mobile accounts only to been able to create a Protogo drive. :/
Attachments:

Protogo drive doesn't boot 18 Jul 2017 17:02 #8458

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

It has been a long time since I have seen a case in which Protogo copies the wrong user account. I can only suggest that you contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including the screen capture that make it clear that you are using the Italian localization. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo drive doesn't boot 24 Jul 2017 15:59 #8470

I'm sorry to repeat the same things but once again I've received a reply from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. making clear that they didn't actually read my e-mail. Now I'm waiting a reply to my last e-mail (or should I say "attempt") since the last Wednesday.

This is what I wrote:
Hi,
I'm writing you as per micromattech3's instructions in this thread:
www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...o-drive-doesn-t-boot

As I've already wrote in the thread, now the problem is that Protogo doesn't copy to the Protogo drive the local user account I'm running the application with, it always copies the mobile account (please see the attached screenshot with the mobile account selected) instead.
<Users.png>
As you can see I'm using the Italian localisation.

This is the reply I received:
Hello,

Thank you for your message. Because we haven’t encountered this issue before I had forwarded your information to our lead developers for advise on what may be causing this issue. Unfortunately, they were not ave to replicate the issue since we do not use Active Directory for any of our employees. They suggested creating a second admin user account on that machine which doesn’t have mobile account status/abilities active in Directory Utility. You should then be able to start up as that new admin user and create the Protogo device from there. Additionally, please be aware that the active user account information is copied over to the Protogo device so any time a username or password are required on that device it will be whatever username and password you establish for the new admin user account.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Micromat Help

I remember a much better support from Micromat in the past, maybe it's time to perform some tuning to the help system.

Protogo drive doesn't boot 24 Jul 2017 16:55 #8471

Thanks for the update.

I have forwarded your posting to someone who should be able to see that you get as good an answer as we have at this time.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo drive doesn't boot 26 Jul 2017 16:35 #8476

Thank you mod, I received a reply right on the point just a few hours after your post.
I'm running the requested tests right now (I've been quite busy at work in the last days).

Protogo drive doesn't boot 26 Jul 2017 17:04 #8477

You are welcome, and thanks for the update and your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo drive doesn't boot 02 Aug 2017 15:48 #8487

I've sent a reply to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 5 days ago but I've not received any reply so far.
Could you check if it has gone through?
Thanks.

Protogo drive doesn't boot 02 Aug 2017 16:55 #8488

I have sent an inquiry. Thanks for your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds