Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Adding 3rd party apps

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 01:34 #8136

I recently upgraded to TTP 9. I used to be able to add 3rd party apps in a folder named "TechTool Protogo Applications" and they would automatically be added to the profile installations. That doesn't seem to work now. Any changes or has that ability been removed?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 01:46 #8137

As far as I know, the proper way to add third-party applications to a Protogo profile is to use the "plus" button in the Profile Editor. I have not seen reports of the profile itself being updated if a file were added to the "TechTool Protogo Applications" folder. That is an interesting observation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 02:13 #8138

It has been the case that if you manually added an application to the "TechTool Protogo Applications" folder on a Protogo device created with the Minimal Profile, which has no Finder access, the new application would show up in the menu of available applications when you boot from the Protogo device. That is not the same thing as having the Profile itself, which is in the Protogo application's files, be updated.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 02:26 #8139

You misunderstand. I did not say the Profile would be modified, just that the applications would be installed along with the default apps of the chosen profile. They would even scroll across the top of Protogo as if they were part of the profile. I never used the + button to add them and this worked with the Mac OS X Basic Profile, which is the only profile I've ever used going back to version 1 of Protogo.

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 10:20 #8140

Thanks for the clarification. I do not see why what worked before would not work now, but the proper way to add applications is to use the Profile Editor.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 11:02 #8141

The Protogo applications folder to which you had added applications to be copied to the Protogo device was used by earlier versions of Protogo, and is no longer used now that Protogo is part of TechTool Pro. You should remove earlier stand-alone versions of Protogo.

I found this Read Me in an installation of Protogo 4.0.3 (July 2014):

The Protogo Applications folder is used by TechTool Protogo to install applications on the devices it creates. If you add applications to this folder, they will also be added to all Mac OS X profiles created by TechTool Protogo.
IMPORTANT: If you remove TechTool Pro 7 from this folder, it will NOT be installed on devices created by TechTool Protogo, even if it is installed elsewhere on your Mac.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 12:20 #8142

Well, I double checked and while this scenario wasn't working at home, it definitely is still working at the office. The benefit of it is that additional non-app items like text files and folders with other items also get copied, not just the apps. This is with TTP 9's built-in Protogo. I don't keep earlier versions installed (though I do keep their installers). Guess I'll compare folder names and app locations to ensure they're identical and see if that gets it working at home. Here's a video showing what I'm seeing.

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 12:28 #8143

Here's the video showing what I'm seeing.
Attachments:

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 12:43 #8144

What is the entire path to the folder where you are adding these items? I am referring to the folder on your startup volume, not the folder on the Protogo device itself.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Apr 2017 12:46 by micromattech3.

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 13:07 #8145

/Applications/TechTool Protogo/Protogo Applications

TTP 9 is in /Applications/TechTool Protogo

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 13:13 #8146

The version of TechTool Protogo that is incorporated into the TechTool Pro 9 application should not be looking at any folder that is part of an earlier installation of TechTool Protogo as a stand-alone application. You should be launching TechTool Protogo by launching TechTool Pro 9.0.2, then looking for TechTool Protogo in the Options menu (or use Command 4). There should no longer be a folder with any reference to TechTool Protogo.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Apr 2017 13:17 by micromattech3.

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 13:45 #8147

And that is what I'm doing. I have no stand-alone Protogo, just what launches from within TTP 9. The Protogo Applications folder is a remnant from previous installations and I copy it to ensure it doesn't get deleted during any TTP installation. I then copy it back if it has been deleted, usually it isn't.

I just now tested by moving TTP to be in the /Applications folder, the 3rd party apps no longer were added. I then moved the Protogo Applications folder to be in the same directory as TTP and the 3rd party apps once again were added, so that seems to be the only requirement… a Protogo Applications folder in the same directory as TTP, which can be anywhere. With that arrangement, everything in the Protogo Applications folder gets copied to the device, apps, folders, jpg, txt, anything.

So, that's interesting, and from my viewpoint, valuable. Yes, I could just manually add them with the + button or finder copy them to get the txt files I want included, but this is simpler and more elegant. Whatever code in the app is allowing this, I hope it doesn't get removed in the future.

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 14:15 #8148

Thanks for the additional details.

It was my understanding that the TechTool Pro installer is intended to remove previous stand-alone installations of TechTool Protogo. I no longer recall whether I moved my stand-alone installations, in case I needed to check something, as I did earlier in this thread.

I will pass along your last message, in hopes that your approach will continue to work.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: moviewatcher

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 14:54 #8149

I'm with you on that. There is no standalone Protogo app and hasn't been since TTP 8. It's just the Protogo Applications folder that I'm retaining. The only Protogo I have is what's embedded in the TTP 9 package. It just still recognizes the Protogo Applications folder.

Thanks for your time and help.

Adding 3rd party apps 04 Apr 2017 15:04 #8150

You are welcome, and thanks for all the details.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds