Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: ProToGo USB Creation Time

ProToGo USB Creation Time 25 Aug 2016 20:10 #7519

I've read a couple of other threads about the time it takes to create a key but the only answer is, it takes between 2-24 hours to create.
Is there a reason it takes so long? Is there nothing that can be done to speed that up? Maybe if we understood what's happening in the background it would make it understandable. As it is now it just seems like the answer is "that's the way it is" but in modern computing, most things that take that long to process seem broken.

i'm a LONG time user so I'm not knocking great software; I just like to understand since I'm the answer man at my 9-5.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ProToGo USB Creation Time 25 Aug 2016 22:05 #7520

Take a look at the specifications for your USB memory stick, and compare them to the ones for models that get good reviews on Amazon.com.

USB is not a sophisticated protocol. From the original MacFixIt Forums (Tacit later founded www.finetunedmac.com):

Re: Why is Firewire faster than USB 2.0? [Re: alyciadad]
tacit Offline
MacGuru

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
Without going into technical reasons, the simple answer is that FireWire uses a more efficient command set and more efficient techniques for transmitting data that rely on less overhead.

Here's a quick and crude metaphor that might help illustrate how USB can seem to have a higher data transmission rate but actually is slower in the real world. Imagine that we have two different types of connections. We'll call them ImaginaryA and ImaginaryB. ImaginaryA and ImaginaryB both are used to connect a computer to a hard drive. They use different "protocols," or techniques for sending information back and forth.

When a computer talks to a hard drive using ImaginaryA, it goes something like this:

computer: Hard drive, please give me your unit number
hard drive: Hard drive unit number is 1102
computer: Hard drive 1102, please give me your size
hard drive: Hard drive 1102 reports that the total size for hard drive 1102 is 150 GB
computer: Hard drive 1102, please locate block number 332.
hard drive: Hard drive 1102 reports that block number 332 has been located.
computer: hard drive 1102, please give me 10 bytes of data starting at block 332.
hard drive: Beginning the read. 23. 45. 22. 12. 55. 87. 76. 32. 99. 21. Read finished. Did you get that all OK?
computer: Hard drive 1102, I got all the data OK.

Now let's say that you attach a hard drive using the ImaginaryB port on your computer and read the exact same data. The "conversation" between the computer and the hard drive looks like this:

computer: ID
hard drive: 1102
computer: 1102 size
hard drive: 150g
computer: 1102 position 332
hard drive: 332 ok
computer: 1102 read 10 332
hard drive: 23 45 22 12 55 87 76 32 99 21 ok
computer: ok

Now, even if the computer "talks" to the hard drive at the same speed using ImaginaryA and ImaginaryB, it's clear to see that the computer will read data from the hard drive using ImaginaryB much, much faster, because the commands that go back and forth are shorter and simpler.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 Aug 2016 22:06 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds