Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Restoring Default Profiles?

Restoring Default Profiles? 03 Jan 2016 09:24 #6959

Hi there, folks

I was trying to edit a default profile and did NOT copy it. I delete the default profile: Mac OS X Minimal Profile.
I tried quitting the app to see if it would restore the missing profile, NOPE! There's NO preferences built into either app (TTP and/or TT Protogo)!
Can I delete the app: TechTool Protogo (5.0.3) without having to reinstall TTP (8.0.3)? I can NOT find TT Protogo on my HDD.
Is TT Protogo app buried inside Package Contents for TTP?
I think there is a installer helper for TTP that installs TT Protogo. Should I try to search for the installer helper or search for a preferences file for TT Protogo and delete it and that will restore the deleted profile?
Where does TT Protogo store any default/edited/custom profiles?

Thank You for your time,

James
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Restoring Default Profiles? 03 Jan 2016 13:09 #6961

Protogo is contained inside the TechTool Pro application package. Reinstalling TechTool Pro is a simple matter of running the installer again. You do not have to do anything to remove the previous installation first. I do not see where the Protogo profiles are stored. The "Show File" button refers to the files added to the profile, not the profile itself.

When you reinstall TechTool Pro without having first used the installer to uninstall the program, you do not have to re-enter your serial number, and you do not have to reconfigure the features in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 03 Jan 2016 13:43 by micromattech3.

Restoring Default Profiles? 03 Jan 2016 15:21 #6962

Thx 4 ur reply.

I'd rather NOT have to reinstall TTP. Plus, when I selected Command-4 from the Mode Menu in TTP, it asked for permission to allow a installer helper for TT Protogo.
Why can I NOT just delete TT Protogo from the Package Contents and have TTP reinstall TT Protogo?

In the manual is says the following:
NOTE The profiles are saved in the file “~/Library/Preferences/com.micromat.protogo.profiles.plist” (where “~” refers to the current user’s folder).
I could NOT find such preferences file. The preferences file MUST be somewhere!

Question: Why are NOT the default profiles write-protected (read-only) when a user tried to modify an existing default profile and forcing the user to make a copy of the default profile under another name the user is modifying?

I'll bet a double sawbuck ($20) that I'm NOT the only user who has mistakenly deleted a default profile!
This needs to be made goof proof ASAP!

Thank You for your time,

James

Restoring Default Profiles? 03 Jan 2016 16:09 #6963

I tried your suggestion of reinstalling TTP. When opened TTP, it asked to install TTP Protection!
This did NOT fix the issue/problem! I guess I'll have to Uninstall & Reinstall, WHY?
This should NOT be this krazy/nutz/etc. to fix!
Attachments:

Restoring Default Profiles? 03 Jan 2016 16:44 #6964

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator.

It is normal for a reinstallation of TechTool Pro to prompt you to reinstall the TechTool Protection systems preferences pane. The file that stores the data you used to configure its features remains from the previous installation, unless you uninstalled TechTool Pro.

The plist file is where the manual says it is, on page 14. I was looking for the wrong type of file earlier today. The file is simply a list of the files contained in the profiles. Use the Finder's Go to Folder feature, in the Go menu, and put in this path:

~/library/preferences

The file is created when you create your first custom profile.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 03 Jan 2016 17:02 by micromattech3.

Restoring Default Profiles? 03 Jan 2016 17:59 #6965

I just deleted my Mac OS X Basic profile in Protogo, and then reinstalled TechTool Pro. Upon relaunching TechTool Pro 8.0.3 and then launching Protogo 5.0.3 from within it, there was no Mac OS X Basic profile.

Uninstalling TechTool Pro and then reinstalling it did not restore the missing Mac OS X Basic profile. I was able to restore it by creating a new profile, and choosing Mac OS X Basic from the System pop-up menu, followed by choosing the name. I have reported this problem. I can see why the installer may have been designed to work this way, because I still had a custom profile I had created, and some people might prefer not having to reconstruct their own efforts when restoring the default profiles is simple, if not obvious.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 03 Jan 2016 18:04 by micromattech3.

Restoring Default Profiles? 04 Jan 2016 06:02 #6966

I thank you for your efforts in regards to this issue/problem!

If I delete the preferences/plist, will TT Protogo re-create a new plist with the default profiles? Or does the plist just contain edited/custom profiles?
Maybe there should be a way for users to import/open/export/save edited/custom profiles, so users could keep them for future reference and/or back-up their modified profiles.

Off subject/topic; Is Checkmate like the old MacEKG that ran under Mac OS Classic?

Thank You for your time, James

Restoring Default Profiles? 04 Jan 2016 11:28 #6967

You are welcome.

Protogo will create the plist file only if you create a new profile, because that file is created only when you create a new profile. It is not used for the default profiles that come with the program.

I have forwarded your suggestion about the profiles.

Checkmate runs read-only tests. It does not do the benchmarking that MacEKG did.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Restoring Default Profiles? 04 Jan 2016 23:17 #6968

So, where does the issue/problem stand?
Are software engineers looking into the profile bug?

Thank You for your time, James

Restoring Default Profiles? 04 Jan 2016 23:23 #6969

We are looking into the fact that even uninstalling and reinstalling TechTool Pro does not restore deleted profiles that are part of the program, such as the Mac OS X Basic profile.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Restoring Default Profiles? 04 Jan 2016 23:51 #6970

So, an update to either TTP and/or TT Protogo is forth coming?

James

Restoring Default Profiles? 04 Jan 2016 23:59 #6971

There is always another update or version in the works. Typically, unless a problem is what is called a "showstopper", software publishers wait until several problems can be addressed before releasing a new version.

I cannot issue progress reports in the forums. The testing of the software is covered by a non-disclosure agreement. I thank you for bringing attention to the Protogo profiles.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Restoring Default Profiles? 05 Jan 2016 00:05 #6972

The plist file used by Protogo 5 is not the one you mentioned (quoting the manual) at ~/Library/Preferences/com.micromat.protogo.profiles.plist. That file was used by previous versions. The plist file that is created when you make a new profile in Protogo 5 is at:

~/Library/Preferences/com.micromat.protogo5.profiles.plist
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Restoring Default Profiles? 05 Jan 2016 00:07 #6973

The last update was on 10/21/15 for TTP.
Is there a fix in the mean time waiting for an update?

I like that fact TT Protogo is a like a custom version of eDrive in TTP.
Also, I like the Sensors and Fans Test in TTP :)

Restoring Default Profiles? 05 Jan 2016 00:11 #6974

The only way to fix the problem is to release an update. The update must be tested as thoroughly as any other update.

Thanks for your comments on Protogo and the new tests.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Restoring Default Profiles? 06 Jan 2016 07:20 #6979

While waiting for an update...

Could you suggest how to re-create Mac OS X Minimal Profile settings?
Could I edit another profile: Mac OS X Recovery HD Profile and/or Mac OS X Basic Profile, and make a copy of it to re-create the deleted/missing profile?
If I remember correctly, the Mac OS X Minimal Profile has/had a number of apps associated with the profile, y?
I was "trying" to add an app (EtreCheck) to the profile when I was editing the Mac OS X Minimal Profile. And so the story goes...

Again, I thank you for your time, James :)

Restoring Default Profiles? 06 Jan 2016 11:28 #6982

You are welcome.

All you have to do to recreate any of the profiles that ship with the program is to use the New button, then edit the new, untitled profile. Use the System pop-up menu to choose the correct profile.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2016 11:28 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HandJ4

Restoring Default Profiles? 06 Jan 2016 22:03 #6989

I was able to make a edited profile from Mas OS X Recovery HD Profile and use on an iPod with a busted screen no less.
I am glad I was able to help make TT Protogo a better app for all user(s) by discovering the default profile(s) bug!
My arm hurtz from patting myself on the back :p

Any timeline 4 a release on an update, since the last update was on 10/21/15?

Is there a way to post a release note/service bulletin for current user(s) of TT Protogo about the default profile(s) in the forums section of the website? Just a heads-up for customer/client/users.

Again, I Thank You for your time, James :)

Restoring Default Profiles? 07 Jan 2016 00:43 #6991

You are welcome, and I am pleased to see that you were able to restore the profile.

There is no timeline for releases. As I mentioned before, the testing of the program is covered by a non-disclosure agreement. The amount of time that has elapsed since the last release is not a factor in deciding whether a new release is ready.

I have forwarded your suggestion. There could be a knowledgeable article. This thread itself makes the problem and its status clear.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds