Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Protogo USB will not boot system

Protogo USB will not boot system 09 May 2015 07:43 #6430

I upgraded to TechTool Pro 8 and created a Protogo Basic USB. I tested the USB on the system on which the USB was created but the system will not boot. The progress bar gets about 1/3 of the way across the screen. My system in a iMac Retina 27" with OS X 10.10.3. I also tried it on a MacBookPro with 10.10.3 with the same result.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: armararchbold@mac.com

Protogo USB will not boot system 09 May 2015 12:52 #6431

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in a log file from the failed boot. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB will not boot system 14 May 2015 01:49 #6437

chuck_2330 wrote:
I upgraded to TechTool Pro 8 and created a Protogo Basic USB. I tested the USB on the system on which the USB was created but the system will not boot. The progress bar gets about 1/3 of the way across the screen. My system in a iMac Retina 27" with OS X 10.10.3. I also tried it on a MacBookPro with 10.10.3 with the same result.

Having the same problem;

HI,

I recently purchased TechTool Pro 8 and have tried 4x to make a USB flash drive using ProToGo without success. Your application seems to do its thing but once I plug it in to my Macbook Pro and hold down the option key and choose the flash drive it takes forever to boot. The progress bar stops at half way and never finishes.

I have tried 3 different drives (4 gb and 8gb) and they all produce the same results (getting a third of the way booting and than stops). my mac is a MacBook Pro from 2010. It is Yosemite compatible.

Please help. I have a drive that needs to be fixed and can’t boot your product to fix it!

Protogo USB will not boot system 14 May 2015 02:07 #6438

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until a moderator has approved them. I will delete the duplicate postings.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as described above. We are going to need to see the log file from the attempted boot, and an Apple System Profiler report. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.

If you have another bootable volume, you can install the Protogo application on it, and then use the TechTool Pro application in the TechTool Progoto/Protogo Applications folder.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 14 May 2015 02:13 by micromattech3.

Protogo USB will not boot system 26 Sep 2015 13:39 #6662

I created a ProToGo Basic USB stick using my MacBook Pro. Tested it on the MacBook, and it boots fine. I then tried it on my wife's Mac Mini, which won't boot up — we've tried everything else and it won't restore or boot up, so I thought if I could at least create a startup disk to start the computer, I could try to find out what was wrong.

Starting from ProToGo, her computer does the usual: it begins startup, then screen goes white, then it either reboots or hangs.

My questions are:
Should the ProToGo start this computer or is it limited to starting up the MacBook?
Is there an option I can choose that might work better?
Am I right in assuming that the problem is not (only) with her hard drive if the Mini won't start from her drive, Restore, or ProToGo?

It will start to Target Disk Mode (but I haven't been able to access the disk this way yet), and it will start using the option key and show me her hard drive, Restore, and ProToGo, but trying any of these won't work.

Protogo USB will not boot system 26 Sep 2015 14:43 #6663

The ProToGo Basic profile copies system software from the computer from which ProToGo was run. It is probable that this profile does not have the video drivers for your wife's Mac Mini, especially if the Mini is newer than your MacBook Pro.

Because Apple no longer makes developer kits for making bootable DVDs, we no longer have the former Universal profiles.

If you have a bootable backup for the Mac Mini, try that. If it works, then it would appear that there is a problem with the hard drive in the Mac Mini. If the hard drive were functioning normally, and the Restore volume were present on it, the Restore volume would be bootable.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB will not boot system 09 Jan 2016 01:56 #6993

I am also having a similar issue/problem.

I see the launcher for Protogo and click on it, but nothing happens.
I try to boot from the device by holding option button after restart, but the device does not show up @ all.

Details: MacMini (4,1), Mac OS X (10.8.6), TTP (8.0.3) & an iPod Nano (8 GB).
The iPod Nano shows up on desktop, in iTunes & in Disk Utility.
Why the iPod does not boot makes no sense to me!

Once more, thank you for your time, James :)

Protogo USB will not boot system 09 Jan 2016 02:41 #6994

Determining why the Protogo device does not boot will probably require investigating what files are on it and what error messages appear when you attempt to boot from it. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including the URL for this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Protogo USB will not boot system 29 Mar 2016 23:09 #7125

i have noticed Pro To Go doesn't work on El Capitan, it boots half way then a spinning circle thing keeps flashing non-stop

could be because of System Integrity Protection

i really need a Portable Bootable E-Drive, i had to resort to Mounting my other mac via Target Disk Drive to rebuild the volume Since Pro To Go No Longer Works... :(

i have Tech Tool Pro 8.03, i used this to make my Pro To Go..

Protogo USB will not boot system 29 Mar 2016 23:48 #7126

The version of Protogo that is in TechTool Pro 8.03 is compatible with El Capitan, but there are a few cases in which the resulting Protogo device does not boot. We can investigate the reason if you send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will probably be asked to send in some log files tomorrow. Thank you.

If you have a USB memory stick of at least 32 GB capacity, formatted by Disk Utility to have a GUID partition map and a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume, you can create an eDrive on the memory stick
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Mar 2016 23:50 by micromattech3.

Protogo USB will not boot system 01 Apr 2016 03:51 #7127

I have been seeing this problem as well, but with a twist. I am working with an iMac with El Capitan (10.11.4) and When I create a Protégé USB it initially works just fine. as in it boots and I can run TechTool Pro 7 from it.

My problems start when I attempt to use it a second time. What happens is that the indicator strip that shows that my system is booking moves just fine. The problem is that it never (in the time that I allow, at any rate, typically 20 minutes to a half hour) it never boots again.

Now, it could be the case that maybe that I should have waited longer, but it went significantly faster that first boot, so it seems a bit out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions what I could do to (I hate the idea that I have to keep making, or is it re-making, a Protogo drives for one use) to make Protogo work more consistently?

Thanks.
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2016 20:58 by DrSynn.

Protogo USB will not boot system 01 Apr 2016 10:22 #7128

I have not seen other reports of the Protogo device working on the first boot and apparently not working on the second. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You may be asked to send in an Apple System Profiler report. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds