Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: USB Flash Drive Runs once - Hang up on boot when used on another machine

USB Flash Drive Runs once - Hang up on boot when used on another machine 18 Mar 2015 18:20 #6210

Using TechTools Protogo 5.0.1 (Build 15022701)

All Mac's have Yosemite 10.10.x installed.
a) Create a USB (16GB flash stick) Basic Profile - no problem - on my iMac
b) Use it to boot a machine - no problem (MacBook Air)
c) Move to another machine (MacBook Pro) - Hangs about midway in progress bar of boot.
d) Reload same USB stick with Basic Profile - no problem
e) Boot machine mentioned in step C. - no problem
f) Move to the first machine in step B - Hangs like step C.
I have had this happen at a customer location too

My suspicion is that the stick is R/W and being configured by the boot process to be specific to a particular machine, but that is just a suspicion on my part.

My goal is to have a USB TechTools Protogo stick in my "repair kit" so I can use it when I travel to a customer location.
Do I need to reload the USB stick after each instance of a new machine?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USB Flash Drive Runs once - Hang up on boot when used on another machine 18 Mar 2015 19:18 #6211

As far as I know, with the exception of any new models that have a model-specific build of Yosemite on them, the current build of 10.10.2 should work on all supported models. I suspect that something required by the models that are not booting from the Basic installation made with the first model is not being copied to the Protogo device, and that the only possible solution other than making a new Protogo device each time is to try the Full Copy profile.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds