Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation...

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 27 Sep 2014 03:08 #5831

I'm trying to create a bootable USB stick for Protogo, and it gets stuck at "installing system software. I'm running 10.9.5 on a late 2009 iMac, using a 16GB Lexar stick. Attempting to create creating a "basic profile" with TTP 7, DiskWarrior 4, Apple Disk utility, Data Rescue 3, and Disk Tools Pro. Covering all my bases!

I have all the additional apps in the Protogo applications folder.

Any suggestions? I've included a couple of screenshots.

Thanks!

/Users/jon/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.49.13 PM.png
/Users/jon/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.52.49 PM.png
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 27 Sep 2014 12:22 #5832

In most cases, when it appears that the process of creating the Protogo device is stuck at "installing system software", it just appears to be stuck, and if you wait long enough, the process does finish. The time required to create a Protogo device on a USB memory stick advertised as supporting USB 2.0 can vary from 1.5 hours to 24 hours.

As a practical matter, there should be at least a few GB of free space on the Protogo device, so that virtual memory swapfiles can be written. I do not recall anyone trying to put so many additional utilities on a 16 GB Protogo device.

If the process does not eventually finish, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 16 Nov 2014 08:51 #5943

I've got the same problems here - Techtool Protogo 4.04 stopped writing to my USB-Stick and i'm left with an 8GB USB-Micro-Stick by Intenso which isn't recognized by any device any longer.
Tried it with a 64GB Sandisk SDXC in an appropriate reader and i'm left with a card showing one partition called EFI and nothing more - and this card is useless now as well.
I've found no way to make this card work again in any device.
So i've invested money in a program that only kills one flash memory after the other.

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 16 Nov 2014 12:35 #5944

Please try repairing permissions with Disk Utility, and then reinstalling TechTool Protogo 4.0.4.

You can reformat the USB memory stick and the 64GB Sandisk SDXC memory card for use with Protogo by using Disk Utility. The partition map should be a GUID type for use with Intel processors, and the volume should be Mac OS Extended (journaled).

A camera can be used to reformat the Sandisk card for use with cameras. A PC can be used to reformat the USB memory stick to have a FAT32 file system.

If you cannot successfully create the Protogo device, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You may be asked to send in some log files, and an Apple System Information report.

TechTool Protogo 4.0.4 is not compatible with Yosemite.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 18 Nov 2014 15:01 #5948

No chance to get the USB-stick or the SD-card work again.

I've tried to reformat with Mac OS X disk utility (OS V. 10.9.5), Windows 7 (notebook of a friend of mine), Ubuntu (GParted), Windows XP, in-camera (memory card error).
The USB-stick is dead! - Not recognized by any device.
The SD-card still shows an EFI partition in GParted - and it's not possible to get rid of this. maybe i should put it in my microwave

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 18 Nov 2014 15:39 #5950

There is nothing that our program or any program writes to a USB memory stick or an SD card that can make it incapable of being reformatted. There may be some rare devices that should not be erased because the manufacturer has put some proprietary data on them. Such devices should come with a warning.

I can only suggest that you contact the maker of the devices to see if they can help. It is possible that the devices were damaged by static electricity, to which they are very vulnerable, since they have exposed contacts.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 18 Nov 2014 18:01 #5953

When you try to reformat aUSB memory stick or an SD card in a card reader, be sure to use the Partition tab in Disk Utility, so you can replace not just the volume on the device, but the partition map as well.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 05 Jul 2015 23:49 #6522

This seems extremely long. As much as I love your software (until I've just watched my own brand new Mid 2015 MBP 15" sit for 2 hours stuck at this step ("Installing System Software").

Is there something that prevents your application from rendering the image to copy to the flash stick first? My system indicates 2.84 GB required for the minimal profile (1 volume with 5 applications). I can (and did) copy 6GB in small files to this drive earlier today before erasing for this task (to fix my old MBP). That took a very short amount of time.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I figured others might find it via Google so your answer could be very helpful.

Thank you!
Chris

Creating Protogo USB bootable stick freezes at system installation... 06 Jul 2015 00:22 #6523

As is mentioned in message 5832 above, it can take as much as 24 hours to create a Protogo device on a USB memory stick. Please let the process run, and if it does not complete in 24 hours, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report.

I do not know whether adding an intermediate step would make the creation of the Protogo device go faster, but the idea is interesting, and I have forwarded it to the beta administrator. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds