Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Running TTP 7 on Protogo drive will not work on boot drive

Running TTP 7 on Protogo drive will not work on boot drive 06 Aug 2014 20:44 #5699

Booted my MacPro from my newly created Protogo drive, which seemed to work fine. I then tried to run TTP 7 from that drive on my Mac's internal boot drive, it let me run a few tests fine, like memory tests, and file structures, but when I tried to do a volume rebuild, it said:

Unmount Volume Problem
The selected volume could not be unmounted. Exit all other applications that may be using the volume and try again.

I tired to do something else, but then TTP crashed, so I lost all my test results. I launched it again from that drive, tried again, but still would not work. Same problem trying to run a volume structure test. I also tried to run Disk Warrior, but also got error messages that would not let me work on that volume.

Not sure why the boot volume can't be unmounted when I am booted from the external Protogo disk. Isn't that whole point of using an external disk?

PS Attached 3 files, but can't tell if they uploaded.

Thanks.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Running TTP 7 on Protogo drive will not work on boot drive 06 Aug 2014 21:39 #5700

THe reason the volume cannot be unmounted is that a process running on the active boot volume has opened a file on the volume you would like to unmount. There is no substitute for identifying the files that are open, the processes that have the files open, and then quitting the processes, if they can be quit.

This thread has a link to our instructions for using the lsof command in Terminal to identify the files open on a specific volume, and a warning about using another command to force the unmounting of the volume:

"Unmount Volume Problem"
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2014 21:41 by micromattech3.

Running TTP 7 on Protogo drive will not work on boot drive 07 Aug 2014 22:13 #5701

I followed the thread, and the other referenced thread (although this link was an empty page: <www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_co...view&id=58&Itemid=68>)- so basically in Terminal, I do the sudo lsof | grep command, see what process are running, but then can I use Activity Monitor to quit those? Or is there a Terminal command I should use instead?Obviously I don't want to force eject any volumes.

But, is there no way to write code into TTP that would automatically do this for us when booting from a Protogo drive? Seems to me that if one has to also use Terminal, with a warning like "And, as always, use Terminal commands at your own risk!", the Progotgo drive idea is not so simple or safe to use.

Thanks.

Running TTP 7 on Protogo drive will not work on boot drive 07 Aug 2014 22:31 #5702

In general, you can use Activity Monitor to quit the processes that have files open on the volume you want to unmount. It would be a good idea to look at the names of the processes, and if you are not familiar with them, to use a search engine to find out what the processes do before quitting them. It might be enough to turn off Spotlight while booted from the Protogo device.

I do not think it would be prudent to automate the quitting of processes that have files open on the volume in question. In most cases, there are only a few processes that have files open on the volume, and it is better to see what they are and to know what they do.

There is nothing that Protogo is doing that is not safe. We are not forcing the unmounting of the volume in question. The warning issued by Terminal is common in Unix-based operating systems, because the improper use of the "remove" command can remove a lot of files with no further confirmation or warning. When Mac OS X was new, a shockingly short command could erase the active boot volume (!).

In most cases, it is not difficult to identity the files and processes, and to solve the problem. It is odd that the last few cases have been more challenging than the typical ones.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Running TTP 7 on Protogo drive will not work on boot drive 08 Aug 2014 17:37 #5707

Thanks for mentioning the broken link, which has been fixed.

www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_co...t&view=article&id=58
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds