Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device?

Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device? 04 Apr 2014 14:58 #5302

Is there a way to control which user profile gets copied to the Protogo boot device?

Using the OS X Basic profile I created a USB boot stick, and it works fine, but only has the first of the two users on the laptop listed. Unfortunately, that isn't the user for which I have credentials.

I didn't see any choice of where to choose with login account I wanted copied to the device.

Thanks for your help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device? 04 Apr 2014 15:08 #5303

The administrative account that was logged in on the Macintosh when the Protogo device was created should be getting copied to it. There is no interface for controlling which accounts get copied.

We have had a few odd things happen with user accounts and passwords. If logging in with the administrative user account you want to be on the Protogo device and creating a new device, does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device? 17 Aug 2014 19:07 #5726

micromattech3 wrote:
The administrative account that was logged in on the Macintosh when the Protogo device was created should be getting copied to it. There is no interface for controlling which accounts get copied.

We have had a few odd things happen with user accounts and passwords. If logging in with the administrative user account you want to be on the Protogo device and creating a new device, does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
I made a ProToGo USB Stick from my usual (default login) user account - which is NOT an Administrator Account - and the ProToGo device has NO Admin User account on it (Nothing can be authenticated so nothing works - making the whole stick useless and a major waste of my Time!!)!!

Nowhere in the documentation does it say you have to be logged in from an ADMIN account in order to build a ProToGo device!!! Not EVERYONE Always automatically logs in to an Admin Account - as a matter of fact it is safer NOT to - and your defective software FAILS to recognize it is not running on an Admin account and Warn the user that the device about to be made will NOT WORK and that they need to change accounts first!!!!

Every time I tried to run a test - or anything - it said to type an Administrators Username and Password and rejected the Admin name/password that WORKED on the system I made the ProToGo device on. When I looked in the System Preferences on the ProToGo device the Was NO Admin Account!!

Thanks for wasting 8 hours of my LIFE!!!!

You people just ASSUME that everyone logs into an Admin account ALWAYS. And Every Device Made with ProToGo - from folks like me that prefer the safety of a regular user account - will be defective ... a waste of TIME.

And making ASSUMPTIONS that are not true is a good way to get your company name a Bad Reputation amongst users.

Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device? 17 Aug 2014 19:27 #5727

Thanks for your observations, which I will forward to the beta administrator for Protogo.

Most people use administrative accounts nearly all of the time, and you are correct that it is safer not to. There is also less overhead for the computer when the current login is not an administrative account.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device? 19 Aug 2014 23:21 #5728

We will investigate this reported problem.

For the record, and this came as a complete surprise to me, the time required to create a Protogo device on a USB memory stick advertised as supporting USB 2.0 can vary from 1.5 hours to 24 hours.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device? 20 Aug 2014 00:51 #5729

I got lucky with that: my 6 year old MacPro3,1 took between 2 and 3 hours to create a USB 2.0 USB device. It took about 20 minutes to boot from the device: and it successfully ran repairs on my main HD and a couple of the others built in ....

Thank you

Controlling which user created on Protogo boot device? 20 Aug 2014 00:56 #5730

Thanks for your report.

Today, I wish more than ever that current flash memory sticks had FireWire connectors rather than USB.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds