Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Admin password

Admin password 04 Feb 2014 05:53 #5161

I just upgraded to TechToolPro to Go 4 and have some trouble with it.

Somehow I keeps insisting on an Admin password no matter what I try.
I know the user name and admin but cant get It to work.

Please advice,

Rogier
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Admin password 04 Feb 2014 11:27 #5164

I assume that this problem is solved, since you mentioned using the program in your other posting. If not, the easiest solution to such as problem is to create a new administrative account, set up the new account to log in automatically at boot time (System Preferences-->Users & Groups-->Login Options), and then create a new Protogo device using the new administrative account.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014 11:54 by micromattech3.

Admin password 04 Feb 2014 16:48 #5167

I rebuild the USB once again. I think I choose a different option "Minimal Profile" witch resulted in the more familiar startup screen and no trouble with Admin rights.
Witch leads me to the question what is the difference with other Profiles. And why do they pose trouble with admin rights.

I had removed the password from the Profile but was still unable to use it. Entering the username and password for the machine PTG is running on did not work either.
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

Admin password 04 Feb 2014 17:53 #5169

Thanks for the update.

I do not recall any earlier cases of the problem you have described, and will ask whether there is a record of any such reports. If I get an explanation, I will post it. It may turn out to be the kind of problem that must be reproduced before it can be understood.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 04 Feb 2014 19:27 #5171

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. There are a few people who have no user account getting copied to the Protogo device when they use the Basic Profile. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 09 Feb 2014 00:51 #5194

I'm having the same issue. Why is there nothing in the manual about this? I have a dead computer. The last thing I need is a surprise with a tool I just spent a load of money on. I have a Mac OS X Basic Profile on a USB drive that took quite a while to build. What login and password do I need to know???

Admin password 09 Feb 2014 02:20 #5195

The username and password that are needed are the ones for the administrative account that was the active login when the Protogo device was created.

There is nothing in the manual about the issue because it is a seldom-encountered problem that arose after the manual was written. If you send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , you will receive a reply by email on Monday, and you will be able to try a possible solution to the problem of the user account not being copied to the Protogo device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 09 Feb 2014 14:34 #5196

Thanks for taking the time during the weekend to respond. Unfortunately your response was not helpful. Here is what should help others having this problem:

1) Please update the manual and set expectations that the Basic Profile is password protected with whatever account / password combo is *supposed* to work.

2) Please document the rather simple workaround, that if in fact the account / password combo that is supposed to work does not work. Do this:
* Boot into the recovery partition of any Mac running 10.9 by holding down Command-R during reboot.
* Open the Terminal app from Menu and type: resetpassword at the shell prompt
* Follow the directions to reset the password to one that actually works

3) Throw away your old manuals

Admin password 09 Feb 2014 16:42 #5197

You are welcome, and thanks for your clear explanation of your workaround, which makes it clear that just the password itself is not being copied to the Protogo device, at least in your case.

My suggestion to contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. was made so that we can fix the problem in the application itself, rather than provide a workaround in Terminal.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 09 Feb 2014 16:59 by micromattech3.

Admin password 10 Feb 2014 01:30 #5198

I had tried that before. As it used to work in the past. Reset the user / admin password and the ACL's on the PTG USB stick using the terminal command from the emergency bootup partition.
Unfortunately it did not work for me either. Even changing the password on the Mac in question did not allow me to get past this point.

What does work is the "Minimal Profile".

If you still need to repair your Mac, you can create a new PTG from an other Mac. And then attempt to repair the one that is in trouble by booting from the PTG USB stick.

Hope this helps,

Rogier
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

Admin password 10 Feb 2014 01:49 #5199

Rogier,

Thanks for your report, which makes it clear that we may be looking at two seldom-encountered problems that have the same symptoms.

Here is an interesting thread about resetting the password, involving the invisible .AppleSetupDone file in the /var/db directory:

www.howtogeek.com/howto/30983/how-to-res...n-mac-os-x-password/

While the article is not new, my .AppleSetupDone file is from April of 2013. which shows that this file is still being used by Apple.

new-host:/ MMT3$ cd /var/db
new-host:db MMT3$ ls -lias
total 13584
38714460 0 drwxr-xr-x 61 root wheel 2074 Feb 9 17:08 .
38714420 0 drwxr-xr-x 31 root wheel 1054 Apr 8 2013 ..
39054630 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 233 Apr 8 2013 .AppleInstallType.plist
39056984 0 --w----r-- 1 root wheel 0 Apr 8 2013 .AppleSetupDone
839893 0 -r
1 root wheel 0 Sep 11 2010 .AutoBindDone
6624289 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 182 Jul 24 2011 .MASManifest
572932 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Aug 10 2010 .RunLanguageChooserToo
38727992 0 -r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 61440 Apr 8 2013 .SystemPolicy-default
840232 8 -r
1 root wheel 16 Mar 29 2009 .TimeMachine.Cookie
75130176 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1139 Feb 9 17:08 .TimeMachine.Results.plist
839895 0
1 root wheel 0 Sep 28 2009 .WOLShutOffDone
573443 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 412 Apr 9 2013 .com.apple.iokit.graphics
839898 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 0 Aug 29 2009 .com.apple.smb.sharepoints
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 10 Feb 2014 01:52 by micromattech3.

Admin password 10 Feb 2014 01:52 #5200

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately these solutions don't work any more since 10.7 ...
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

Admin password 10 Feb 2014 02:08 #5201

Thank you. The howtogeek.com article was published on October 5, 2010, and does not mention a specific version of Mac OS X.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 10 Feb 2014 02:12 #5202

Single user mode doesn't work any more.

Reset password feature is now hidden and can only be reached trough terminal after booting into the emergency partition or startup "disk" created on an external drive like a USB stick.
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

Admin password 10 Feb 2014 02:22 #5203

Thanks for the additional details.

I did not attempt to go through all the steps in the howtogeek.com article, but I did use Terminal to delete the .AppleSetupDone file on a clone of my usual startup volume. Starting up from the clone using the Startup Manager resulted in the expected multi-lingual greeting. There is no way to stop the process using the graphical user interface, but typing Command Q quits the process and allows a proper restart.

I think it is a good thing that Apple has made resetting the password a bit more difficult, because it was a security problem.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 10 Feb 2014 17:43 #5204

If anyone else has this problem, please send a message to help@micromat, including a link to this thread, so we can test our possible solution. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 10 Feb 2014 17:44 by micromattech3.

Admin password 07 Mar 2014 13:32 #5251

I am having the same problem where it won't let me log in.

Admin password 07 Mar 2014 13:43 #5252

If the solution given in posting #5196 above does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. We need to see whether there is more than one cause for this problem. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 07 Mar 2014 14:44 #5253

No that did not work.
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

Admin password 07 Mar 2014 15:10 #5254

Thanks for the update.

Please send a message to micromat.com, as suggested above. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 08 Mar 2014 19:21 #5255

Well, it wasn't very clear, but it dawned on me to try typing 'System Administrator' instead of my normal log in or using 'Admin'. Now I am logged in. Unless I missed it or misunderstood, but I don't recall seeing anywhere where it says o actually put in 'System Administrator' in its entirety. Oh well, now I know. Chalk it up to another thing learned.

Admin password 08 Mar 2014 19:45 #5256

It should be sufficient to be logged in with an administrative account when the Protogo device is created.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Admin password 30 Mar 2014 19:08 #5296

OK, I give up. 3 Basic boot discs created with 2 different media and 3 different settings for login, including automatic login. Randomly got Guest and Other... as the accounts, always with an unknown admin. password required. I will try to get Techtool 7 to run on a boot disc created by Carbon Copy Cloner as I should have done in the first place.

Have spent two days on this already, don't plan to spend another trying the other suggestions and hacks listed on this topic page although I appreciate the effort that people have gone to in an effort to make this version of TTPro work with portable devices. A good idea gone bad.

Admin password 30 Mar 2014 19:30 #5297

I am sorry that you spent so much time on this problem. The thread already requested that people with this problem send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Please do that, so we can see if our solution solves the problem in your case. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds