Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 21 Jun 2013 06:12 #4118

Will an upgrade to TTP 7 automatically update the current version of PTG, and will it still work, or do I need to wait until an update to PTG as well?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 21 Jun 2013 10:25 #4121

We expect to have a new version of TechTool Protogo, which will include TechTool Pro 7, in about six weeks. If you have TechTool Pro 7, and you make a Protogo device with the current version, you could update the copy of TechTool Pro on the Protogo device using the TechTool Pro 7 installer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 21 Jun 2013 13:49 #4133

Is it possible to just replace the version of TTP in the current "Protogo Applications" folder and have that work?

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 21 Jun 2013 14:08 #4134

That approach has worked in the past. Be sure to boot from the Protogo device, launch TechTool Pro 7, enter your TechTool Pro 7 serial number, and allow the application to update the TechTool Protection system preferences pane.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 02 Jul 2013 17:22 #4294

Moving TTP7 from Applications (after installation) to the Protego Applications folder does indeed work. The only issue will be that TTP7 will not be in the dock on the Protego device, when one boots it. The fix is minor, remove TTP6 alias from the dock, and add the TTP7 one in its place.

Of course, the first time one launches TTP7 from the Protego device it will want to install the control panel and protection daemon. Otherwise, it seems to work fine.

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 02 Jul 2013 17:32 #4295

Thanks for your clear and detailed report, which I am sure someone else updating their Protogo device will find helpful.

It used to be the case that the Finder often failed to copy application packages, such as TechTool Pro, but the Finder seems more capable in this respect than it was when Mac OS X was new.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 04 Jul 2013 09:47 #4315

Peter J Gergely wrote:
Moving TTP7 from Applications (after installation) to the Protego Applications folder does indeed work. The only issue will be that TTP7 will not be in the dock on the Protego device, when one boots it. The fix is minor, remove TTP6 alias from the dock, and add the TTP7 one in its place.

Of course, the first time one launches TTP7 from the Protego device it will want to install the control panel and protection daemon. Otherwise, it seems to work fine.
Just to be clear, does this occur when generating a new recovery volume, or when updating an existing one?

The file references in the Dock have always behaved more like a symlink than like a Finder alias file.

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 04 Jul 2013 13:24 #4316

When you install TechTool Pro on a volume, and launch it for the first time, the application checks to see if the TechTool Protection system preferences pane on that volume is the one for the same version of TechTool Pro, or an earlier one. If it is an earlier one, the application prompts you to update it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 04 Jul 2013 13:32 #4317

Paul Henegan wrote:
Peter J Gergely wrote:

Just to be clear, does this occur when generating a new recovery volume, or when updating an existing one?

The file references in the Dock have always behaved more like a symlink than like a Finder alias file.

Using Protego from my boot system (internal Hard Disk), I didn't know there was an option to update. The only option it gave me was that it was going to reformat the device (a USB Stick), and install everything new. I didn't mind, as I wanted OS X 10.8.4, instead of 10.8.2 on the stick.

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 04 Jul 2013 14:29 #4318

The procedure described in this thread is a manual workaround for updating a Protogo device when a new version of TechTool Pro, such as version 7. becomes available, when the Protogo device has TechTool Pro 6.x on it. If you had a Protogo device with TechTool Pro 6.0.5 on it, and you booted from it, TechTool Pro 6.0.5 could be updated to 6.0.6 via the Check for Updates feature.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 08 Jul 2013 07:37 #4363

Will PTG 3 correctly install TTP 7 in a new Protogo device?

PTG 3 and TTP 7 compatibility 08 Jul 2013 10:10 #4364

You have to use the workaround described in this thread to replace the version of TechTool Pro installed by Protogo 3.0.1 with TechTool Pro 7.0.1.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds