Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Tech Tool Protogo

Tech Tool Protogo 29 Apr 2013 20:47 #3969

I have tried to boot up a mountain lion Mac with the tech tool protogo new version which is suppose to support the mountain lion but, it does not work. I am using a flash drive which I created using the tools. I will appreciate any good advise. Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tech Tool Protogo 29 Apr 2013 23:07 #3970

You must use the Basic Profile, which copies system software files from your installation of Mac OS X. The Intel profile has system software from an Apple Developer kit for making bootable DVDs, which has not been revised in a long time, does not support current models, and probably never will.

It would be a good idea to repair permissions using Disk Utility before making the Protogo device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Protogo 29 Apr 2013 23:17 #3971

Thank you for your answer. Also, I was wondering if I can bootup a different Mac with my tool. Please advise.

Tech Tool Protogo 29 Apr 2013 23:35 #3972

You are welcome.

You could boot any other Macintosh that can boot from the same system software that is on your usual startup volume. If what you have there is a model-specific version of the system software, which came with some older models, it will not boot a newer model, because it will not have video drivers for the newer model. If you bought the system software from Apple, then that full commercial release will boot whatever models it supports:

Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: rsoto

Tech Tool Protogo 29 Apr 2013 23:48 #3973

There have been a few rare cases in which it was helpful to reformat the flash drive with Disk Utility, giving it a GUID partition map, rather than relying on TechTool Protogo to reformat the device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: rsoto

Tech Tool Protogo 30 Apr 2013 00:08 #3974

Hey micromatech3, thank you for all your answers; however, it is a shame not to be able to boot any system regardless of version, video drivers, etc. I bought the protogo for my personal use but, if it come the case where I want to help a friend who has a Mac then, I wont be able to boot his/her Mac with my flash drive.

Tech Tool Protogo 03 May 2013 00:07 #3981

You are welcome.

If you want to be able to help out a friend, you would have to make sure that the system software you are using is able to boot the friend’s model. The Apple chart linked above gives the most detailed information available about what versions boot what models. In general, system software released before a new model was released can never boot the new model, because the new model has new video hardware, requiring new video drivers.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Protogo 04 May 2013 20:55 #3991

Now that I have Protogo which Includes TechTool 6.0.6, what should I do with my old stand alone copy of TechTool?

Tech Tool Protogo 05 May 2013 00:24 #3992

If you have TechTool Pro currently installed, there is no need to make any changes in what you are doing with it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds