Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: install OS from Protogo....

install OS from Protogo.... 19 May 2012 01:30 #2422

Hi.. I have a iBook G4 and the optical drive has went south as did the OS 10.5.8. Is there a way to plac the install disk on the Protogo disk? I use a FW 80gb to startup the iBook, so obviosly I have lots of space on the FW drive. BTW, is MM ever going to fix Protogo so that I can use an USB flash drive (32gb) instead of the bulky FW drive, cables, etc?????????

Thanks, Jack
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: install OS from Protogo.... 19 May 2012 03:14 #2424

I do not think that placing a disk image of the Mac OS X Installer DVD on a Protogo device would allow you to run the installer. You would have to use another Macintosh to do that.

If you have a second hard drive (one that you can erase) and access to a working Macintosh, try this approach:

www.ehow.com/how_8031019_install-osx-disk-image.html

TechTool Protogo can make a Protogo device on a USB memory stick, but in general, only Intel-based Macintosh models can boot from a USB memory stick, which must be formatted with a GUID partition map and a Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: install OS from Protogo.... 19 May 2012 04:54 #2425

Thanks for the reply..... My REAL problem is that I cannot startup the laptop w/ the optical drive or the installed OS. Is there a way I can use Protogo in able to use a disk image/copy from the Protogo drive?????????

Both the optical drive AND the installed OS are not working! In other words, can I 'piggy back' the OS install by placing it in the Protogo applications folder????? The approach using www.ehow.com/how_8031019_install-osx-disk-image.html seems to want to use when the laptop is active.....

TIA, Jack

Re: install OS from Protogo.... 19 May 2012 05:57 #2426

Unless you already have a disk image of your Mac OS X Installer DVD, I do not see how you can make one without a functioning optical drive. I do not see how Protogo can help with your situation, because as far as I can see, you must erase the destination device in order to restore the image of the Mac OS X Installer DVD to it. Even that would not work some years ago, because Apple put a media check on the DVDs, so if you tried to use the contents of the DVD on a hard drive volume, it would not work. The tutorial suggests that the media check has been removed.

You need to get access to a functioning Macintosh, and connect yours to it via FireWire Target Disk Mode. Then you might be able to use the tutorial's approach.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: jetilley

Re: install OS from Protogo.... 19 May 2012 06:20 #2427

I do have a good disk image of the OS install. I just don't understand how to utilize it w/o an optical drive or installed OS on my iBook.....BTW, I'm older then dirt (headed for 78) so please be patient!
Can I use Target disk mode considering my problems????

Thanks again, Jack

Re: install OS from Protogo.... 19 May 2012 07:02 #2428

If you have access to another Macintosh running Mac OS X and having FireWire, then you can use FireWire Target Disk mode. You would have to have another drive in order to use the disk image you have already made, according to the steps outlined in the tutorial at www.ehow.com/how_8031019_install-osx-disk-image.html.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: install OS from Protogo.... 19 May 2012 10:22 #2429

I do have another Mac, in fact counting my wife's, two others! Thanks for the help and I'll let you know the outcome!

Jack
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds