Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Can Protogo install on a partition?

Can Protogo install on a partition? 18 May 2012 23:59 #2416

I have loved the newest version Protogo. I do have one issue however. It appears that the entire drive/device is required to setup Protogo. After the initial setup you can partition the drive, but what about devices that already are partitioned and you want to install Protogo on them by using one of the multiple partitions available because you don't want to delete/destroy what you have setup on the existing partitions.

Is there a way of doing this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can Protogo install on a partition? 19 May 2012 00:06 #2417

There is no way to create the Protogo device except by allowing the program to erase the entire destination device. The intention is to automatically create the proper partition map and volume for the Protogo device. The program was originally conceived as a way to make useful a small drive, and later, USB memory stick, that would otherwise have been of marginal utility because of its small size.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Can Protogo install on a partition? 19 May 2012 00:16 #2418

I'm guessing that I could clone the partition and then retore it to another device that already has an available partition? Assuming that the drive itself is formated properly and has the proper partition map/table this should work right?

Re: Can Protogo install on a partition? 19 May 2012 00:26 #2419

I'm assuming that the reply i just sent a few minutes back needs to be approved? I'm guessing if I've setup my partition map/table properly on a second drive/device then I could just clone Protogo and put it onto another drive's partition.

Re: Can Protogo install on a partition? 19 May 2012 00:41 #2420

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until a moderator has approved them.

I see no reason why cloning the volume on a Protogo device to a Mac OS X Extended (journaled) volume on a device with an Apple Partition Map for PowerPC models or a GUID partition map for Intel-based models would not work.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Can Protogo install on a partition? 19 May 2012 01:07 #2421

I didn't know they were moderated, sorry for the double post.

Thanks for such quick responses. Have a great day.

Re: Can Protogo install on a partition? 19 May 2012 03:05 #2423

You are welcome, and likewise.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: selasley

Re: Can Protogo install on a partition? 15 Oct 2020 20:15 #12446

Just curious if this approach worked. If it did work, would you mind sharing your steps? You've clearly got a bit more computer savvy than I do!
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds