Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..."

Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 16 May 2012 13:30 #2403

When I try to build a USB flash installation, Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..."

I am using OS X Lion.

Any help appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 16 May 2012 17:09 #2404

In most cases, in fact, the program appears to be going around in circles when it is writing the /System directory, but if you let it run, it does eventually finish. It can easily take 45 minutes to create a Protogo device on a USB memory stick.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 23 May 2012 22:27 #2442

I just let it run for more than an hour. Could that be normal? When I run the Intel Profile it finishes in no time.

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 23 May 2012 23:42 #2443

It could take more than an hour to copy the Basic installation to a USB memory stick. The Intel and PowerPC profiles are much smaller, as the program shows.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 26 Sep 2012 00:22 #3026

I have been trying to install Mac OS X Basic option on a USB drive. Its a 32 gig drive and 12 gigs is needed to make the disc. The program has been running for 18 hours and its still installing system software. My macbook pro has 16 gigs of ram with a 2.9ghz i7 processor. I have used micromat products for years have never had an installation take this long.

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 26 Sep 2012 04:39 #3029

It is possible for it to take one to two hours to create the Protogo device on a USB drive, especially if there is other traffic on the USB bus.

While booted from the same startup volume that was in use when you tried to create the Protogo device, open the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities, and see if the All Messages log contains any errors that appear to be related to Protogo. If you do not find any, I suggest that you use Disk Utility to reformat the USB memory stick, giving it a GUID partition map and a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume. Then run the Surface Scan to check the memory cells in the USB memory stick.

If the Surface Scan finds no problems, I suggest that you repair permissions using Disk Utility or TechTool Pro (they both produce the same results) and then reinstall the Protogo application itself, in case it has a problem. Then make another attempt to create the Prototgo device on the USB memory stick. If that attempt fails, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 12 Apr 2013 15:49 #3901

I've got the same problem using 3.0.3 trying to create an "Intel Profile" Volume.

Protogo stops at "Installing System Software..." even though the USB drive is getting mounted and seems to contain all the necessary data.

The console returns this
12.04.13 17:34:42,323 coreservicesd[66]: Application App:"TechTool Protogo" [ 0x0/0x51051] @ 0x0x7fa94ca3f450 tried to be brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontASNs ( ( ASN:0x0-0x52052:) ), so denying.
12.04.13 17:34:42,323 WindowServer[122]: [cps/setfront] Failed setting the front application to TechTool Protogo, psn 0x0-0x51051, securitySessionID=0x186a5, err=-13066

Any idea what's happening here?

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 12 Apr 2013 16:38 #3902

Please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread.

I have not seen this particular error before. I suspect that the programmer will be needed to diagnose this problem, and thanks for checking for a relevant error message.

In the meantime, it might be worth giving the creation of the Protogo device another try. I would repair permissions using Disk Utility before making the attempt.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 12 Apr 2013 18:10 #3903

blablah,

Please take a look at your account settings, at the Login/Register page, and check to see if the email address in the Account Information area is current. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 22 Jan 2014 21:51 #5148

Did you ever find a solution to this? I've got the same problem in 4.0.1

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 22 Jan 2014 22:30 #5149

Please try repairing permissions using Disk Utility before running the installer. If that does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread, and the text of the error message you saw, and the error as recorded in the console or system log. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 27 Apr 2014 22:29 #5353

I've had this same problem on my mid-2011 iMac. I'm using Protogo 4.0.2. I've checked for bad memory blocks on the Kensington 32GB USB drive I'm using with TTP 7.0.3. I've also repaired permissions and verified the target disk. I've also uninstalled then reinstalled the Protogo. Nothing. Still hangs.
I've enclosed a Console screenshot if that's any help.
Attachments:

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 28 Apr 2014 00:27 #5354

In most cases, what appears to be a hang at "installing system software" will resolve itself if you wait. The system software takes a long time to install, especially on a USB memory stick. If the process does not complete, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You may be asked to send in the All Messages log and an Apple System Information report. Thank you.

I suggest you search at Google or Bing or Yahoo for the message about throttling respawn of the HP process I see in your screen capture. The launchd process is trying to launch something that is not fully installed.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo 3.0.2 hangs at "Installing System Software..." 28 Apr 2014 00:56 #5355

If you follow all the instructions in this thread, you can stop the respawn:

discussions.apple.com/thread/2788162
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds