Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it

IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 00:39 #2157

My iMac from mid 2007s shows a flashing question mark when trying to start up. I bought protogo and it checks the iMac and shows no problem to fix but when i try to make it proof the hard disk it just proofs the usb pen drive i used to record the protogo...so i do not know what to do in order to get protogo to verify and repair my hdd. When it scans surface, it seems to me that it scans the pen drive instead of the iMac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 01:09 #2158

It is not clear to me just which tests you ran.

Boot from the Protogo device, and then run the Volume Structures test (under Tests) to diagnose the usual startup volume. If errors are found, use the Volume Rebuild feature (under Tools) to rebuild the disk directory. When you use the Volume Rebuild feature, a new disk directory is created in RAM, and a Technical Comparison window appears. If the total number of files and folders and the total amount of disk space occupied by the files on the original volume and the proposed rebuild match, it should be safe to rebuild the disk directory.

Be sure to make a backup of the usual startup volume before you rebuild its disk directory.

The Surface Scan (under Tests) allows you to choose which device is scanned.

The manual for TechTool Pro is available in the Help menu in the program, and in pdf and html form: MicroMat Product Manuals
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 23 Mar 2012 01:10 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: olaya5

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 02:23 #2159

I have installed the Protogo in my macbook air. Then i have copied it into a flash drive. Then i have started my iMac and ran the protogo. I have tried to run the Volume Structures test but it doesn´t let me choose my macintosh hdd. The only device that can be tested is the flash drive used to install the protogo. I just do not know what to do.

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 02:28 #2160

It doesn´t show me the macintosh hdd. When i try to run the volume structures test, it only shows the flash drive and says that the volume structures test is not available for the startup volume but i cannot choose the hard drive. what can i do?:blush:

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 03:03 #2161

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 23 Mar 2012 03:06 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: olaya5

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 03:34 #2162

That i have already done...but still it doesn´t show my hdd :blush: i cannot figure out what happens. I insert the device where i installed protogo, then i reboot it from Mac Intel and when i try to pass the volume test, my hdd does´t appear. Thank you so much for your patience..i feel so dumb :S

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 04:36 #2163

The Protogo device should have Disk Utility as well as TechTool Pro on it. With the Macintosh still booted from the Protogo device (the flash drive), launch Disk Utility, and see if it shows the internal drive. What diagnosis does it give for the usual startup volume?
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 23 Mar 2012 04:36 by micromattech3.

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 23:33 #2166

The Utility Disk doesn´t recognize the Imac HDD. Using my Macbookair, I managed to create an Edrive in my usb device. It contains the system from my Macbookair. What i did next was to plug the protogo device in the iMac . Then i chose to restart it from the device and it does run the tests but it tests the Edrive itself and not my macintosh HDD. It seems unable to find the Macintosh HDD.

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 23:34 #2167

So it seems that it only recognize the external drive (the derive mounted in the usb device) but no internal hdd at all.

Re: IMAC won´t start but protogo cannot fix it 23 Mar 2012 23:59 #2168

When the Macintosh is booted from a Protogo device or an eDrive, the internal hard drive should appear as a device in Disk Utility, and it should appear as a device in the Surface Scan test in TechTool Pro.

If neither TechTool Pro or Disk Utility can find the hard drive, even as a device with no volume on it, then I think your hard drive has failed.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds