Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Protogo on USB flash won't boot

Protogo on USB flash won't boot 02 Mar 2012 09:50 #2045

2 computers:
Mac Pro 2010- OS 10.6.5
Macbook 2008-OS 10.6.8
On a 4 GB flash Drive with 2.78 GB used for Protogo and 5 apps.
I did everything right- fixed permissions/loaded apps on correctly/ checked for available space.
It mounts fine - when I ask it to boot computer the Apple Logo is displayed for normal amount of time- then my regular internal disk login screen comes on. It just bypasses the usb flash. Checked sys. prefs and the flash drive is selected. What's with this? Thanks!
Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 02 Mar 2012 10:43 #2046

Which profile did you use?

There may not be enough free space for virtual memory swapfiles to be created. You could try booting in verbose mode by holding down Command V at the start of the attempt to boot from the flash drive, and compare the messages seen onscreen to those you get if you perform a verbose boot from your usual startup volume. If looking at the onscreen messages during the boot does not give you a hint about why the boot is not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email tomorrow, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Profiler Report. Thank you.

If you have another flash drive, preferably a larger one, please try it. There are some USB devices that are not bootable.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2012 10:46 by micromattech3.

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 04 Mar 2012 05:19 #2061

Hi,
Well your last line mentioned that not all USB devices my work. So I tried another USB Flash drive and it worked fine. thanks for your reply.

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 04 Mar 2012 05:22 #2062

Well I tried another usb flash drive and it worked fine. No problems. Thanks for you help.:cheer:

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 04 Mar 2012 05:59 #2065

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

Despite reading many threads online related to Macintosh support, I have never seen even speculation about why some USB memory sticks are not bootable on our platform. Fortunately, most are.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 26 Apr 2012 01:45 #2325

I'm in the same situation.

MacBook Pro, 8GB, OSX 10.7.3
using a 16 GB flash Drive with reformatted for Protogo and 12 apps.

I did everything right- fixed permissions/loaded apps on correctly/ checked for available space.
It mounts fine.

If I look at the new USB drive after I can only see the Applications directory on it. No OS X system files and folders.

What's wrong?

I'm going to send my System Profiler's Report via ordinary mail.

Thanks.
PM
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2012 01:51 by micromattech3.

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 26 Apr 2012 01:58 #2327

I can only suggest that you repair permissions and try again. If that does not work, please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You should be logged in with an administrative account.

You did not say which profile you used. I assume that there was supposed to be suffient space for the system software files and the 12 applications. It is a good idea to have several GB free for virtual memory swapfiles.

I had to edit your posting to see if it would allow the system profile to come through. It did not. Thanks for mentioning that you submitted it by email.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 26 Apr 2012 02:45 #2328

Bonjour,

I did use administrative credentials. I'm the only one on my machine.

I used the Mac OS Basic + 5 apps (which add 7 other apps = 12 apps).

I tried with 3 GB of free memory without success. It seems to go very quickly when it is time to include the system files (5-10 seconds) and then copies correctly the applications.

Cheers.
PM

Re: Protogo on USB flash won't boot 26 Apr 2012 02:59 #2329

Thanks for the additional details and your observation about the copying of the system files.

Please use the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities, to check the All Messages log for any errors that appear to be related to the attempt to create the Protogo device. If you find any, please send them to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds