Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version.

Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 24 Feb 2012 09:57 #2015

Hi
Interested in using Protogo product but why would I want to when it doesn't support my computer Macbook Air July 2011 version or my OS.... as named above.
When will updates be made so that buying this software will be useful to me?
Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 24 Feb 2012 11:49 #2017

The system software in the Intel profile used by Protogo comes from an Apple Developer Kit for making bootable DVDs, which Apple must revise for each new model. The process takes months, and there is nothing anyone outside of Apple can do to make it happen faster. The Basic profile uses system software taken from your own Macintosh. Its disadvantages are that it requires more disk space, and if your Macintosh has model-specific system software, the resulting Protogo device will not be able to boot other models.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 04 Jun 2012 22:10 #2484

Has Apple updated this? I would also like to be able to make a bootable Techtool thumb drive for my mid-2011 MBA.

Re: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 04 Jun 2012 22:50 #2485

I will ask about whether the Apple kit has been updated.

In the meantime, you could make an eDrive using TechTool Pro 6 and a USB memory stick of at least 32 GB capacity, formatted with a GUID partition map and a Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume, or you could use the Basic profile in Protogo with such a USB memory stick.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 05 Jun 2012 01:28 #2486

The Apple developer's kit for making bootable DVDs has not been revised to support your model.

When you consider what Apple has done with the Recovery HD partition in Lion, the question arises whether Apple will continue to support booting from DVDs.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 05 Jun 2012 02:33 #2487

Can you make an edrive of a current given model that will boot all current as in Store bought OS disk, as opposed to the ones included with the hardware that a have a gestalt code locking them to the model?

Re: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 05 Jun 2012 04:52 #2491

The system software on the eDrive is copied from an installation of Mac OS X on one of your volumes, so if what you have installed boots multiple models, then the eDrive will, otherwise, it is likely to boot only your model. It may be true that the version of Lion you bought supports all models that had been released up to the time when Lion was released. Typically, any new model has new video hardware that is not supported by system software created for earlier models.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 05 Jun 2012 04:57 by micromattech3.

Re: Why Promote a product that I can't use with Lion 10.7.3 & Macbook Air Mid 2011 version. 05 Jun 2012 05:17 #2492

Here is Apple's explanation of which versions support which models:

Mac OS X Server: Creating a single NetBoot, NetInstall or NetRestore image for multiple Mac models.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds