Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6

Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 04 Apr 2011 03:06 #190

Is this possible? If so how? And what are the last Macs that Protogo's Universal system boots?

Anticipate having to use the TTP 6 on backup SuperDuper! bootable duplicates(or possible eDrives) of my family's individual machines but have appreciated the convenience of Protogo's Universal system to have a "works on everything" bootable utility pocket HD.

Thanks in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: info@ted.ch

Re: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 04 Apr 2011 04:08 #193

The Universal option in Protogo makes use of system software from Apple's developer kit for making bootable DVDs. The Protogo disc label tells what version is on the disc. With that information, you can determine whether the disc will boot a given model by looking at the system software version number on the Mac OS X Installer DVD that came with that model. I regret that I do not have this information readily available.

Apple has a list of the system software versions supplied with each model:

Mac OS X versions (builds) included with Intel-based Macs

We will have to update Protogo to make use of TechTool Pro 6. I do not have any details about how that is going to be done now. It will be at least a month before it will be ready.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Apr 2011 04:12 by micromattech3.

Re: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 29 Apr 2011 00:49 #462

Hi,
I purchased the ProToGo Annual Update service late last year.
I now have new Macs that cannot boot from my ProToGo USB
key. I am eagerly anticipating a ProToGo that can boot my
new MacBook Air. Is that likely to happen this Summer?
Thank you,
Robert

Re: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 29 Apr 2011 01:11 #463

Making a new version of Protogo boot a new model using the Universal profile requires an update from Apple for their software development kit for making bootable DVDs. The Basic profile, which copies system software from your installation, will work, but keep in mind that if that system software installation came with a new model, it is model-specific, and will not boot other models.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 29 Apr 2011 21:57 #464

Hi,
Do you know when Apple will release that update for their software development kit?
Do you expect to have an updated ProToGo with the Universal Profile by Summer's end?
Thank you,
Robert

Re: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 29 Apr 2011 22:15 #465

Unfortunately, there is no way to know when the update to the software development kit will be released. It used to take a few months after the release of a new model, but lately, it has taken longer.

Right now, there is only one model that the current software development kit does not support, the MacBook Pro (March 2011).
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Apr 2011 22:24 by micromattech3.

Re: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 29 Apr 2011 22:52 #466

I guess my question then is ...
Is there a plan to release an update to ProToGo that can create
a bootable USB key for the 2010 and earlier models? If yes,
do you think that release (which would support my MB Air)
will be out before the end of the summer?

Thank you,
Robert

Re: Upgrading Protogo TTP 5 to TTP 6 29 Apr 2011 23:15 #469

Perhaps I can help clarify some things.

If you simply want to add TechTool Pro 6 to your Protogo installation, you can simply replace the TechTool Pro 5 application with the TechTool Pro 6 application in /Applications/Protogo/Protogo Applications.

As for compatibility with new Macs, you can achieve this now by creating a Basic profile from your new Mac, and it should work with all previous Macs compatible with your operating system. We are, however, waiting on Apple for the Universal profiles which are, as was stated earlier, based on the DVD Developer Kit that Apple has not yet updated.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Micromat Support
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 29 Apr 2011 23:19 by Chrisf.
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds