Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: USB flash does not fully boot

USB flash does not fully boot 05 Jan 2012 03:35 #1766

I created a USB boot disk using a 64GB Corsair Flash Voyager drive. The drive shows up as a valid boot drive when I hold Option during the boot. I select the USB drive, and the system begins to boot, but sits at the Apple logo screen for hours (2.5 hours so far).

The access indicator on the USB drive flashes occasionally. I can't remember the type of USB option that I selected, but it was 12GB with Finder access.

Is this normal? Should I do a hard power down and try to boot off the USB drive again?

Thanks,
Nick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: USB flash does not fully boot 05 Jan 2012 03:58 #1767

The boot may take a few minutes, but should not stall as yours appears to have done.

Take a look at the files on the USB device, and see if it appears that they are all there. You might try repairing permissions before trying the Basic profile (which copies system software files from your current startup volume) again.

The next boot from the hard drive will take a few minutes longer than normal, because of the abnormal shutdown. Also, the next Time Machine backup will require a deep traversal.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2012 03:59 by micromattech3.

Re: USB flash does not fully boot 05 Jan 2012 10:25 #1768

Thanks for the response, but no luck.

I repaired disk permissions and then recreated the USB drive with the basic profile, but it does the same thing. Any other ideas?

Re: USB flash does not fully boot 05 Jan 2012 10:29 #1769

The only thing I can think of is to check the amount of free space on the volume on the USB memory stick. The script that creates the Protogo installation copies folders from your installation of Mac OS X, and if something unusual is in one of those folders, there may not be enough free space left on the volume for virtual memory swapfiles to be created, which would prevent the boot from completing.

If you have a few GB of free space on the volume on the USB memory stick, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email tomorrow, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information Report. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2012 10:31 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: depotools

Re: USB flash does not fully boot 05 Jan 2012 10:32 #1770

Thanks. I have 58GB free on the drive. I just emailed support and asked for further assistance.

Re: USB flash does not fully boot 05 Jan 2012 10:46 #1772

Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds