Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Internal Drives No Longer Mount

Internal Drives No Longer Mount 03 Apr 2011 01:01 #160

I have on an external FW drive partitioned with Disk Studio. One partition is Mac OS X Basic made by Protogo and the other partition contains a backup clone of my boot drive. I need that copy of the old boot drive for a while as I had to do a wipe and install of the OS 10.5.8 (G5 Dual Tower) on my boot drive due to massive problems.

Now when I boot to the Mac OS X Basic partition it doesn't mount the 2 internal drives (boot drive and scratch disk for pshop) which I'd like to fix via my utilities installed on the Mac OS X Basic partition. Nothing specific needs to be fixed on the boot drive with the fresh install of 10.5.8 but just want to run the basic maintenance stuff.

I've re-booted which boots me back to the Mac OS X Basic partition.

I cannot select my boot drive in the system prefs (i guess since it's not mounted and therefore doesn't show up in the System prefs) so the only way I can get back to being booted to the boot drive is to zap the pram and then hold down command>option>o>f and type in "set-defaults, reset-nvram, reset-all". Perhaps zapping the pram is all that is needed but that's what I know so far.

Is there something I can do to the Mac OS X Basic partition to get it to "see" the internal drives? Also, one of my backup FW drives doesn't show up when booted to the Mac OS X Basic partition but did mount after a restart for some reason.

As you know, Protogo doesn't see partitions so I can't just reinstall the Mac OS X Basic to that partition which is what I attempted to do before coming here.

Thanks for any help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Internal Drives No Longer Mount 03 Apr 2011 01:33 #161

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

I do not know why, when the Macintosh is booted from the Mac OS X Basic volume created by Protogo, it does not mount the two internal drives. The Mac OS X Basic choice in Protogo copies the system software files from your hard drive, so there should be no difference in which volumes mount when you boot from your usual startup volume or the Mac OS X Basic volume. The only thing I can think of is that the boot may be a bit faster from the Mac OS X Basic volume, and the drives do not have time so spin up. That might explain why one volume did mount after a restart.

Does the copy of Disk Utility on the Mac OS X Basic volume see these volumes, and can it mount them?

If I had this problem, I would do a verbose boot from the usual startup volume by holding down the Command and V keys at the start of the boot until the screen fills with white text on a black screen. The text that is shown is logged in the system log, which you can read using the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities. Then perform a verbose boot from the Mac OS X Basic volume, which will be logged in its system log. A comparison of the two logs might show some error regarding volumes during the boot. fsck_hfs might be running when you boot from the Mac OS X Basic volume, examining the other volumes and finding (whether rightly or wrongly) something objectionable about them. fsck_hfs is the routine used by Disk Utility when it verifies or repairs a volume. If the system software on the Mac OS X Basic volume is older than the one on your usual boot volume (because you upgraded the software on the usual boot volume) there may be something about the newer volume directory that is confusing fsck_hfs on the Mac OS X Basic volume.

From the commands you used, it appears to me that you are using a model with a PowerPC processor. If I recall correctly, booting from another volume using the Startup Manager should not make a change to the boot volume that is stored in PRAM. In other words, when you attempt to boot from the Mac OS X Basic volume, use the Startup Manager (Option key held down at boot time) to choose to boot from the Mac OS X Basic volume, rather than choosing it in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Internal Drives No Longer Mount 04 Apr 2011 09:06 #211

Thanks for your help. Yep a G5.

OK the idea of checking the logs of the Mac OS X Basic volume sounds like a good place to start. I'll remember to hold down the option key to get the startup disk choice (good idea!). Won't have to zap the pram at least!

In the past when both of my machines were running the same OS (10.4) I could use the external Mac OS X Basic volume to repair either machine. So why, after a wipe and re-install of 10.5.8 on my boot disk BOTH internal drives, one being empty, don't mount is a weird mysterious thing.

The Protogo volume was made with the previous install that was on my boot drive which has now been replaced w/a completely new clean wipe and install and is the state in which this issue is occurring. I report back what I find in the log.

Re: Internal Drives No Longer Mount 04 Apr 2011 09:14 #212

Forgot to say no other app, diskwarrior, techtool, or disk utility can "see" the unmounted drives.

Re: Internal Drives No Longer Mount 04 Apr 2011 09:21 #213

Your last observation is very surprising.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Internal Drives No Longer Mount 04 Apr 2011 22:03 #223

Hi,
Here is the syslog taken while booted into the protogo partition. I selected from where is first see the word "fail".
The messages start repeating as you can see at the end.

Path monitoring failed on "/Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls": No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:34 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.ftpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
4/4/11 9:06:35 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.familycontrols) Failed to count the number of files in "/Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ALRHelperJobs": No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:35 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.familycontrols) Failed to count the number of files in "/Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ALRHelperJobs": No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:36 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:06:36 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.familycontrols) Failed to count the number of files in "/Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ALRHelperJobs": No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:36 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.familycontrols) Failed to count the number of files in "/Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ALRHelperJobs": No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:41 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:06:47 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[75]) Exited: Terminated
4/4/11 9:06:47 AM com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[84] launchctl: Couldn't stat("/etc/mach_init_per_user.d"): No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:47 AM com.apple.launchd[81] (com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
4/4/11 9:06:47 AM com.apple.launchd[81] (org.x.startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
4/4/11 9:06:47 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
4/4/11 9:06:50 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.familycontrols) Failed to count the number of files in "/Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ALRHelperJobs": No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:50 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.familycontrols) Failed to count the number of files in "/Library/Application Support/Apple/ParentalControls/ALRHelperJobs": No such file or directory
4/4/11 9:06:50 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager) Throttling respawn: Will start in 7 seconds
4/4/11 9:06:50 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager) Throttling respawn: Will start in 7 seconds
4/4/11 9:06:51 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:06:51 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:07:06 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:07:06 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:07:26 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:07:26 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..
4/4/11 9:07:51 AM com.apple.kdcmond[35] kdcmond cannot retreive the computer's local Hostname , retrying ..

Re: Internal Drives No Longer Mount 04 Apr 2011 22:14 #224

Thanks for the log data, which I have forwarded to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro.

I doubt the parental controls are the source of the problem, but it would be interesting to see if turning them off has any benefit.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eman

Re: Internal Drives No Longer Mount 06 Apr 2011 00:20 #237

We would like to have an Apple System Profiler report for your Macintosh, which may help us to understand the problem.

Under the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Click the More Info button, then choose Save As from the File menu. Use the System Profiler (xml) format, the default choice. Please send the resulting file and the link to this thread to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 Apr 2011 02:35 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds