Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation?

Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 25 Oct 2011 20:54 #1440

Here is the scenario - I have been asked to help a charity, for which I am a trustee, because they have managed to delete 2 year's worth of work (don't ask). Yes I have been telling them they need to sort IT procedures out! They have 8 Mac Book Pros, I am just in the process of finding out what versions.

My question is, I want to recover deleted files by scavenging the drive (in the hope that the deleted folder has not been overwritten yet).

We are going to buy Tech Tool come what may, but for this scenario, which should we buy, as in, which one will not write to/write the least to the drive?

My understanding is that I can either: a) buy TechTool Pro and install it on an unrelated machine, then burn a bootable DVD and try to boot the relevant machine from it - but presumably I can't boot a machine which doesn't have the serial number on it? Therefore this is not possible?
Or:
b) Download Pro ToGo on an unrelated (but the same OS) machine, install Tech Tool Pro on it, build a profile and then format a flash drive with Pro To Go and the profile, and then use it on the relevant machine?

However, I see no mention of Data Recovery in the Pro To Go support literature, although it says you get the full Tech Tool Pro installation with it.

Please tell me, which product am I better purchasing for this scenario?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 25 Oct 2011 21:40 #1441

I think that Protogo would serve your needs better, since you are dealing with multiple machines. It allows you to build a bootable device on a USB memory stick using either an Intel profile or PowerPC profile supplied with Protogo, or using the system software on a specific model.

Try to stop using the machines from which the files have been deleted.

You should be aware of the fact that when files are recovered by scavenging, rather than using disk directory data, the recovered files may not have their original names and folder structure, and that only files in one piece can possibly be recovered. That is true of all recovery programs that you can buy. Recovering fragmented deleted files is something that requires human intervention at a data recovery firm.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: LolMag

Re: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 28 Oct 2011 06:10 #1450

Updated question: we have been quoted between £500 - £1000 for data recovery, so the management have defaulted back to me as the recovery option.

They have a 'black box' HFS+ drive they backed files up to, as well as the originating laptop - the archive folder was deleted on this drive also, and the main folder overwritten. It is this drive I am going to try to scavenge, as it is the best chance for contiguous file recovery.

I do not quite understand if it is possible for me to use Pro To Go on an external drive, which won't have a profile built for it - is this going to work ok?

Also, they have 14 macbook pros of various OS flavours, and they have finally heeded my advice to protect and run diagnostics/defrags on them all (!). If we purchase Pro To Go, this means I have to run it serially on the 14, no? Which for free, I am not quite ready to do. So my question is, and I think I know the answer, but I have to tell it to them in words the voluntary sector understand and will pay for, do I need to persuade them to buy both? 14 licenses for future serenity, and Pro To Go for this resurrection deleted folder stuff?

Any contributory words in layman's terms greatly appreciated!

Re: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 28 Oct 2011 06:36 #1451

The profile refers to system software used to boot a Macintosh. Two profiles are supplied under license from Apple, one for PowerPC models and one for Intel-based models. It is also possible to build the Protogo device using the system software on a specific model.

The TechTool Protogo DVD contains an installer that installs the Protogo application into the /Applications folder of a Macintosh. The Protogo application is used to create the Protogo device, using hardware of your choice. The DVD also contains, in a folder named TechTool Pro 6.0.3 (for the current one) a TechTool Pro installer.

You should contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. about purchasing multiple licenses for TechTool Pro. The current license allows one serial number to be used on three machines.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 28 Oct 2011 07:13 #1452

Thank you so much for your speedy response. I am sorry that I cannot quite understand what you are saying, please bear with me while I try to explain where my head is at.

TechTool Pro 6.0.3 purchase and download and 14 license scenario:
Download, burn disk image to DVD, install on 14 machines, run at will/set to backup directories etc.

Pro To Go purchase and download scenario:
Download, install on a machine, create profile or use defaults, install and run on up to 3 machines.

Is this correct?
If this is correct, can I run Tech Tool to recover files on an external hard drive plugged on to one of the three machines?

Thank you for your patience.

Re: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 28 Oct 2011 08:24 #1453

You are welcome.

I think it might be simpler if you just contacted the sales department tomorrow and arranged to purchase enough TechTool Pro serial numbers for 14 machines, taking into account that one serial number works on three machines. in the meantime, you could download the manuals for the programs.

I originally suggested that you buy Protogo because I thought it would be convenient for you to be able to boot any of these Macintosh models from a USB memory stick. I think things will be go better if you have enough TechTool Pro licenses for the 14 machines, and one Protogo device that you can use to boot them. An alternative is to use one Macintosh to boot another, in FireWire Target Disk Mode. That assumes that the models have FireWire ports.

It is not necessary to download the disk image of the TechTool Pro bootable DVD. You can just download the TechTool Pro installer. The bootable DVD is mostly needed by people who have no access to a bootable external drive. It is always preferable to run the program from a hard drive volume or a USB memory stick rather than the DVD, because virtual memory cannot be used when the Macintosh is booted from a locked volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 28 Oct 2011 16:37 #1454

I will contact sales. Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Re: Tech Tool Pro v. Pro To Go in a data recovery crisis situation? 28 Oct 2011 17:24 #1455

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds