Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick

Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 03:27 #1387

I'm trying to create Protogo on my memory stick. It seems to be hanging while copying the system files. How long should it take to build the Protogo on the memory stick?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 03:29 #1388

I know what you mean about the copying of the system files. It can take at least 45 minutes to create the installation on a USB memory stick.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: nancyb

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 03:39 #1389

I just erased the memory stick to start over, and also copied the files from the disk image to my hard drive because I read somewhere here that you had to do that and then run the program from the hard drive. Was that necessary, or would it have done the job without copying everything to my hard drive first?

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 03:49 #1390

I tried to "quick reply," but I don't think it worked. Anyway, thanks for your comment above. I think I read somewhere on the forum that the files from the disk image should be copied from the hard drive, and then run the Protogo from the hard drive to create the memory stick. I'm doing that now. Was that an unnecessary step? It still is taking forever, but, at least I'm not as concerned about it as I was previously. There really are no directions anywhere on how to create the program on the memory stick except from helpful people like youself.

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 04:00 #1391

You are welcome, and thanks for your kind comment.

I think it makes sense to copy the program files to your hard drive. The Installer on the DVD can do that for you. It is certainly faster for the program to copy the system software files from your hard drive to your USB memory stick than to copy them from a DVD to your USB memory stick.

Here is a screen capture from pages 3 and 4 of the Help in the TechTool Protogo application (the text is difficult to copy without getting odd formatting):

TechToolProtogoinstallationinstructionsscreencapture.png
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011 04:05 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark1147

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 05:07 #1392

Thanks for the above reply. I did look at the Help-- I'm totally confused now, though. I think the memory stick did get created, but now, do I have to restart with that and then go to the Installer and will it install Protogo on to the memory stick. This is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. When I opened the memory stick, all I could do was restart with it; the folders all seemed to be there. You wouldn't mind, but I consider myself pretty computer literate and have always been able to fix everyone's problems (LOL), but this new Protogo has me stumped. I guess once I figure out how to get the memory stick configured correctly, I'll be fine.

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 05:37 #1393

If you simply mount the TechTool Protogo DVD, a window automatically opens. In the upper left corner of the window, you see the TechTool Protogo Installer. Run the Installer, which puts the TechTool Protogo application and its support files into your /Applications folder. Then eject the DVD, and launch the TechTool Protogo application on your hard drive. From there, you can read the Help within the application.

You can also read the manual directly from the mounted DVD. The manual is in the lower right corner of the window.

TechToolProtogomountedDVDscreencapture.png

The TechTool Protogo program puts the proper files on the USB memory stick. You do not have to make any changes to the contents of the memory stick yourself.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011 05:43 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nancyb

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 19:28 #1394

Well, I think everything is working now. Part of the problem was that I was using the USB memory stick from a hub. When I connected it to the computer, it worked. Trouble with Macs are that they only have a couple of connections, so I have to use a hub for some things. When I opened the installer, message was that 6.03 couldn't be installed on the memory stick. I opened the Applications Folder on the stick, and it was already there. I'm assuming it was installed when I created Protogo on the stick. Just takes some common sense thinking to realize that all computers don't handle the way things are created! What had me mostly confused was the fact that even though I could start up from the memory stick, there was no way to install Protogo. Guess I'm all set. Thanks for your help.

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Oct 2011 19:35 #1395

You are welcome, and thanks for the update. Perhaps this thread will save someone else some trouble.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 10 Nov 2011 05:32 #1520

I've been having some "problems" with my new 13" MBA. It was time to upgrade Techtool anyway, so I figured I'd get Protogo.

It was building the 11gig volume on my 16g Sandisk Cruzer when, well, SOMETHING happened. The Cruzer doesn't mount on my Mac. I can't format it with Disk Tools. Techtool 6 doesn't see any problems. I even tried to format it on the Windows side via VMWare, but it's telling me the stick is write protected!

What the heck??

Any suggestions??

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 10 Nov 2011 06:48 #1521

I think you should contact Sandisk and ask them if there is a remedy, or if the claim that the device is write protected is an indication that the memory stick is defective. No data written by any operating system should prevent reformatting a device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: micromat@grenald.com

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 11 Nov 2011 05:35 #1527

micromattech3 wrote:
I think you should contact Sandisk and ask them if there is a remedy, or if the claim that the device is write protected is an indication that the memory stick is defective. No data written by any operating system should prevent reformatting a device.

That's pretty much what I figured. But it was a weird coincidence that my first thumb drive failure would occur when my computer was going bonkers and I was downloading Protogo in an attempt to fix it (ultimately, the Genius Bar reinstalled Lion, and I'm working again).

I'm off to Staples to get a new thumb drive. Dunno what I'm going to do with the defective one. It's barely worth the effort to send it back to Sandisk...

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 11 Nov 2011 06:29 #1528

I suggest you search at Google for the terms Sandisk and the model number, and see if there are other reports of problems with this model. Whatever you do, make sure that if the new one is the same model you do not mistake the defective one for the new one if you pack for a trip.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 15 Dec 2011 00:56 #1681

Hello Nancy, now I'm having trouble building a bootable flash drive for my Mac Mini (new in 2008) and was wondering if you could recall how you solved your problem? I'd like to think I'm somewhat savvy but this has got me stumped - I can boot from the 4gb flash drive I've created but can't run anything except Disk Utility. Maybe my Mini just isn't capable and I need to upgrade but I wanted to check with you - thank you in advance for your help!
Jason

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Dec 2011 21:35 #1689

I'm not sure about the Mac Mini because I'm on an iMac, but I was helped through this forum. I was advised to install the TechTool Pro on my computer and then create the Protogo on a flash drive directly from the computer. This did work. I don't know why it made a difference to have it installed on my hard drive, but it did solve my problem. Good luck.

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 16 Dec 2011 21:37 #1690

Forgot to mention in my last reply that you need an 8 GB flash drive, and make sure you are creating the correct Protogo for the system on your Mac Mini.

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 18 Dec 2011 00:31 #1691

Thanks for the info - I will get this figured out, just have to get myself an 8 GB flash drive
and I should be set, I appreciate your help!

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 18 Dec 2011 15:48 #1699

OK, so I've gotten past my dead thumb drive problem, but now I have a new one. I created the larger install which is said to be needed for the mid-2011 MBAs, but my MacBook Air won't boot off of the thumb drive. Fortunately, I appear to have fixed my computer problems, but looking forward it would be nice...

Re: Creating TechTool Protogo on a 16GB Memory Stick 18 Dec 2011 20:46 #1701

You would have to use the Basic profile, which copies the needed system software profiles from your MacBook Air. Check to see if it appears that the files on the USB memory stick are similar to those of an installation of Mac OS X.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 18 Dec 2011 20:48 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds