Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Upgrade questions

Upgrade questions 24 Sep 2011 01:44 #1302

I took advantage of your recent offer of upgrading from TTP5 to TTPTG which included Protogo and the upgrade to TTP6.

One of the issues that I have is that in my account there are no files to download from underneath the Available Downloads section. I managed, nonetheless, to download the one available file (ptg_301_dvd.dmg) from the order details page. Inside were the installation files for Protogo and TTP6 upgrade.

Where can I download the DMG to make a bootable DVD of TTP6? Or does Protogo replaces that now?
Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade questions 24 Sep 2011 03:13 #1303

TechTool Protogo includes TechTool Pro 6. The point of TechTool Protogo is that it allows you to make a bootable drive having TechTool Pro 6 on it, using either the Intel-compatible system software that comes with Protogo, the Power PC-compatible system software that comes with Protogo, or the Basic profile, which copies system software files from your Macintosh. One you have created a Protogo device, there is no point in having a bootable DVD with Mac OS X and TechTool Pro 6 on it, because it is much slower than a hard drive or USB memory stick, and virtual memory cannot be used when the Macintosh is booted from a locked volume.

If you are not familiar with TechTool Protogo, please be sure to read the manual carefully. The Protogo program completely erases the entire device (not just a volume on the device) you have chosen to use with Protogo.

The files that appear in the Available Downloads section are ones that you purchased in this store, which is new. There are no links to things purchased before this new online store was launched. It appears to me that you have what you should have in that area.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 00:51 #1316

I purchased TechTool Pro to Go and download the ptg_301.dmg. When I opened the .dmg file and tried to install it on an 8gb flash drive - it said I could not make the installation on the memory stick, seemingly because it did not have a System file. Can you help with details on how to convert my 8gb flash drive as noted in your sales literature?

Thanx - Gary

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 01:32 #1317

You should mount the dmg file and then copy the files to your Macintosh. Then launch the ProToGo application from your hard drive. The Intel and PowerPC profiles should work with your 8 GB flash drive, but not the Basic one, which is too large.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 01:32 #1318

Gary,
I remember something similar happening. I resolved it by using the "erase" feature (reformat) in Disk Utility. Afterwards it worked. Try that.

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 01:38 #1319

Thanks - help me a little more. I understood I could us the 8mb flash drive to start a PPC or Intel Mac and run Tech Tool Pro. I have several Mac's I maintain in the family and the reason I purchase TT Pro ToGo was to be able to use the flash drive for this purpose. Can you provide more details on how to accomplish this. Am I missing "a tremendous grasp of the obvious?" Thanx!!

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 03:20 #1321

Gary,

Take a look at the TechTool Protogo manual section about creating a custom profile, then make one that includes both the Intel and PowerPC profiles. They should both fit on the 8 GB flash drive. When you use your custom profile to create the Protogo device, the program will partition the flash drive, and install the Intel system software and TechTool Pro 6 on one partition, and the PowerPC system software and TechTool Pro on the other.

The thing you might be missing is that Protogo devices are created by running the Protogo application, and using one of the supplied profiles, or a custom one you created. I can see how someone unfamiliar with the Protogo application might think that a bootable device is made by dragging one of the profiles to the device, which is not how it works.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 03:25 #1322

The process I used was to erase the 8 mb flash drive with Disk Utility. I then repartitioned the flash drive for one GUID partition. I then opened the .dmg file and launched the installer. The only place it would let me install the application was on the boot drive of the Mac computer - the flash drive was visible but greyed out and not available. I presumed because the flash drive does not have system software installed. If this is the case the ProToGo application may not have the functionality I was expecting.

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 04:19 #1325

Thanks for your assistance - I did get it to install and work. But, my primary motivation for ProToGo was so I could use a flash drive to run TTPro on both my newer Intel Macs and older PPC Macs delegated to the kids. When I tried to install the PPC application on the flash drive it would not install ---- it said I cannot use a USB flash drive to boot a PPC computer. Sure wish it would do both! Darn.

Re: Upgrade questions 28 Sep 2011 05:54 #1326

Gary,

I had forgotten about PowerPC models not being able to boot from USB devices. The explanation given in the old MacFixIt Forums was that the USB bus is reset during the boot on almost all PowerPC models. There is at least one model that can have its Open Firmware hacked to permit booting from a USB device. I wish that flash memory with a FireWire interface had caught on. It was the basis for our Protégé device, no longer available.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds