Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Memory Tester

Memory Tester 24 Nov 2011 05:39 #1598

I recently started having kernal panic attacks.

TechTools 4 on my Protege did of no help, memory/hardware passed.

I downloaded and used (free) Rember to help isolate that I had a bad stick of memory.

www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/08/testing...-mac-ram-memory.html

I'm surprised that a commercial utility didn't diagnose the issue as well as a freeware tool could.

Has the memory test in the newer version been upgraded to be more thorough?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Memory Tester 24 Nov 2011 06:29 #1599

There is no software-based RAM tester that tests every cell in each memory chip when you run it. Each time the test is run, a subset of the available addresses is checked. The more times the test is run, the greater the odds of finding a problem. The odds of finding a very small failure in one chip in a single run of the test are not good. In some cases, the problem arises only when the temperature of the memory chip is relatively high, so the later test has a better chance of finding the problem.

Rember is newer than TechTool Pro 4. The RAM tests in TechTool Pro 5 and 6 use more modern approach to testing RAM, and are more likely to find a problem.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2011 06:40 by micromattech3.

Re: Memory Tester 24 Nov 2011 06:51 #1600

Thanks (Eric?)....

I called TS and Sales was great assistance.

I am looking forward to the new version and Protogo. I'll miss the fast boot of Protege and have to look for a fast usb 2/usb 3 flash stick...

Have a happy Turkey Day and thanks for being there!

Re: Memory Tester 24 Nov 2011 07:28 #1601

You are welcome, and thanks for contacting sales before it is too late. We will be closed on Thanksgiving and Friday, November 25, the day on which Americans are now expected to stimulate the economy.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: gallifreyan
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds