Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Running TTP 9.6.2 on my late 2015 iMac concerns

Running TTP 9.6.2 on my late 2015 iMac concerns 29 Apr 2019 14:57 #10998

I am running Mac OS 10.14.4 Mojave on a late 2015 iMac with 28 MB of ram. I have a 121.33 GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD on board.
I have yet to get and install the latest version of TTP 11. in the meantime, I am running version 9.6.3 and would like to know the following:
Am I correct in assuming the SSD is only used to start up the machine and contains system software while everything else is stored on the standard mechanical drive? I noticed that the SSD uses Apple's APFS system which means I don't have to boot up from Tech Tool's eDrive - I'm hoping that is correct given the risk of losing all of the data on an SSD when eDrive is created.
All that being said, which tools should I / shouldn't I run? I know I should NOT run Volume Structures or Volume Rebuild on an SSD, but how do I run it on the 2 TB mechanical drive only? Is there a way to select one drive or the other in a Fusion Drive set up for testing and tools? Maybe I'm just bit paranoid but I want to make sure I don't screw this up.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Running TTP 9.6.2 on my late 2015 iMac concerns 29 Apr 2019 15:53 #10999

There have been a lot of changes since version 9. You should download the TechTool Pro 11.0.2 manual from:

www.micromat.com/index.php/productmanuals

You can run the Volume Structures test and Volume Rebuild on APFS volumes. You will have to restart from another volume to use Volume Rebuild on your usual startup volume.

You should not run the file or volume optimization on an SSD or a Fusion drive. There is no way for the program to distinguish the solid state part. I do not know the details of where Apple puts the various files. I have seen comments online claiming that frequently used small files get moved to the solid state part of a fusion drive, but I do not know how to prove that.

Before making an eDrive, be sure to make a backup of all volumes on the device. Because running some functions in TechTool Pro now requires starting from a volume on a different device than the volume to be tested or repaired, it is more practical to put the eDrive on an external drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Running TTP 9.6.2 on my late 2015 iMac concerns 29 Apr 2019 15:54 #11000

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Running TTP 9.6.2 on my late 2015 iMac concerns 29 Apr 2019 17:39 #11001

I just tried to create an E Drive on an external back up drive s you suggested. The "create eDrive" button is grayed out. Neither am I permitted to select destination or source volumes. What happens now?

Running TTP 9.6.2 on my late 2015 iMac concerns 29 Apr 2019 18:22 #11002

The external drive would have to be formatted with a GUID partition map and have a Mac OS Extended (journaled) or APFS volume on it.

In order to create the eDrive, the partition map must be modified, and the volume that is to be split to create the eDrive must be able to be unmounted. The usual reason why a volume cannot be unmounted is that it has open files on it. This thread has instructions for using the lsof command in terminal to identify the open files and the process that has them open:

www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...t-fusion-drive#10076

If these points do not help, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjt5@cox.net

Running TTP 9.6.2 on my late 2015 iMac concerns 29 Apr 2019 18:54 #11003

If you are still using TechTool Pro 9.6.2, it is not going to make an eDrive from an active startup volume that contains an installation of Mojave. You would have to buy and install the latest version first.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Apr 2019 18:54 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds