Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive?

How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive? 23 Feb 2019 09:11 #10792

How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive?
I created an eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on a Seagate ssd drive, and all the previous data on the drive disappeared. All I see on the drive now is the eDrive. How to recover my previous data?
It is 1.5 TB capacity drive, and Info says 1.5 TB is available.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive? 23 Feb 2019 13:31 #10793

I am sorry to see that you had this outcome after creating an eDrive on the Seagate SSD. It is very difficult even for a data recovery company to recover data from an SSD. Very soon after a memory cell on an SSD is marked as free as opposed to occupied, it gets overwritten with zeros, to prepare it for the next write event. It is unlikely that there is anything left of the original disk directory.

TechTool Pro warns you to make a backup before you begin. The creation or removal of an eDrive involves writing to the partition map of the device. If something goes wrong, it is possible to lose all of the data on the device. From page 6.2 of the TechTool Pro 9.6.1 manual: "WARNING Always remember to backup important data prior to performing major operations such as eDrive creation or removal, optimizations, and volume rebuilds."

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2019 13:35 by micromattech3.

How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive? 24 Feb 2019 21:58 #10802

Thank you for your quick response, even though it is bad news for me. Yes, I see now I should have been more careful. I did not know that ssd drives re recoverable like hard drives. Luckily, the most important things I had on the Seagate ssd drive were from Macbook which I backed up with Time Machine. I went back to old Time machine backups and found the important stuff.

How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive? 24 Feb 2019 22:03 #10803

You are welcome, and I am really pleased to learn that you have a backup.

Now might be a good time to review backup strategy. This article is impolitely-titled, a bit out-of-date, and still an eye-opener for many people:

11 Stupid Backup Strategies
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive? 24 Feb 2019 22:04 #10804

One last thing: Can I reload the same Seagate disk with my files and still keep the eDrive on on the disk? Will everything be on the same partition? Should I put the edDrive in a seperate folder?

How to recover data lost after creating eDrive partition with TechTool Por 9 on Seagate ssd drive? 24 Feb 2019 22:08 #10805

The best approach, since the partition map on the Seagate may be damaged, is to reformat the drive using Disk Utility. Give it a GUID partition map, and a single MacOS Extended (journaled) volume, also known as an HFS+ (journaled) volume.

Before you put any other data on the drive, create the eDrive. The process of creating an eDrive creates a separate partition for the eDrive, which remains unmounted until you boot from it. Check to make sure that you can boot from the eDrive. Then, reboot from your usual startup volume, and put whatever files you want on the volume that you created when you formatted the drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds