Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: E Drive creation fails

E Drive creation fails 18 May 2018 10:50 #9673

Hi. I am running TTP 9.6.2 on OSX 10.13.4. When I try to create an E Drive on my laptop, the creation fails, saying that I do not have enough free space, and citing Time Machine snapshots as a possible source of the problem. According to the Finder I have 330 GB of free space on the internal drive (a 1 TB Apple SSD).

Any suggestions?

Michael
The administrator has disabled public write access.

E Drive creation fails 18 May 2018 12:48 #9674

The problem might be that a large amount of data would need to be moved to create the eDrive volume. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to explore that issue.

SEE CORRECTION BELOW: I should point out that since you are using High Sierra 10.13.4, there is not much point in having the eDrive on your internal drive. In order to run the Volume Structures test and the Surface Scan, or to rebuild the disk directory of a volume, you must now boot from a bootable volume on a different device than the one to be tested or having the volume to be rebuilt. This is due to changes that Apple has made in High Sierra. The eDrive will provide all of its functions if it is on a bootable external drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 27 May 2018 22:07 by micromattech3.

E Drive creation fails 18 May 2018 13:34 #9675

Thanks for the reply. Point taken about installing the eDrive on a separate bootable volume. I will do that.

E Drive creation fails 18 May 2018 14:19 #9676

You are welcome, and I am pleased to see that you will have the eDrive on another drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

E Drive creation fails 26 May 2018 17:13 #9682

micromattech3 wrote:

I should point out that since you are using High Sierra 10.13.4, there is not much point in having the eDrive on your internal drive. In order to run the Volume Structures test and the Surface Scan, or to rebuild the disk directory of a volume, you must now boot from a bootable volume on a different device than the one to be tested or having the volume to be rebuilt. This is due to changes that Apple has made in High Sierra. The eDrive will provide all of its functions if it is on a bootable external drive.

For the Volume Structures test and the rebuilding of the disk directory on my internal volume (SSDs, for both of my Macs), I can run them from my eDrive on both of my Macs (using OS 10.13.4). And this remained true after I upgraded TTPro to V9.6.3. In fact, I just did it for the Volumes Structure test on my Mac Mini while viewing your original post above, and it worked fine. But yes, for the Surface Scan, one needs to boot to a separate, external volume and run it from there. I can easily do that, as I use SuperDuper! to make bootable backups for both of my Macs.

E Drive creation fails 26 May 2018 17:23 #9684

It is a good plan to have more than one way to boot from another device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

E Drive creation fails 26 May 2018 17:59 #9687

micromattech3 wrote:
It is a good plan to have more than one way to boot from another device.

Yes, that is always sound advice (also why I make two SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs, to separate external drives (SSDs, in my case). But, as I pointed out, except for Surface Scan, all the other "functions" I use Tech Tool Pro for work very well from the eDrive.

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 19:29 #9697

Just to re-enforce what I stated above. For both of my Macs, when I go through my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs/backup tasks, after running Onyx, I then launch TTPro, and subsequently Restart TTPro via my eDrive. I then run the following tasks:

Memory Test
SMART Check
Partition Map
Volume Structures
Video Memory
Sensors Test
Fiel Structures
Fans Test
Battery Check (on my MacBook Air only)
Volume Rebuild

I assume when I run each of those tasks, they encompass the full functionality of all those tests, and it is the same as if I was running Tech Tool Pro from my SuperDuper! backup. Please confirm that for me.

And, as previously noted, the only task I cannot run from the "installed eDrive" (ie, the eDrive partition on each of my internal SSDs) is Surface Scan.

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 19:57 #9699

SEE CORRECTION BELOW: The TechTool Pro application functions the same way whether you run it from a Super Duper clone or an eDrive, but if you are using High Sierra, running the Surface Scan test, or using the Volume Structures test or the Volume Rebuild tool, requires booting from a volume on a device that is not the same device as the one to be scanned, or containing the volume to be tested or rebuilt.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 27 May 2018 22:07 by micromattech3.

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 21:13 #9700

I just reported above that when I went through my weekly maintenance yesterday on both of my Macs running the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.4, when I restarted the eDrive (V9.6.3) on both on my Macs' internal SSDs, I was able to run the Volume Structures test and the Volume Rebuild tool/task without a hitch. Your prior statement seems to contradict that (yes, I understand about the Surface Scan test).

I'll ask again: given that I can run the Volume Structures test and the Volume Rebuild tool/task from the eDrive located on my internal SSD, am I getting the full functionality?

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 21:41 #9701

Sorry for the error.

If you are using the most recent version of High Sierra, you should not be able to run the Volume or File Optimization tool on any volume that is on the same device as the volume that contains the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 21:41 #9702

To add to my post above, I just restarted my Mac Mini from the SuperDuper! backup I made yesterday, launched TTPro there, and ran both the Volume Structures test and the Volume Rebuild tool/task without a hitch. It did not look any different than when I ran those tasks yesterday from the eDrive contained on my internal SSD inside the Mac Mini. (Same for my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air).

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 21:51 #9703

I have made a correction to this thread and several other. Thanks for your observations, which agree with notes I made in January.

Restarting from a bootable volume on another device is required if you are using High Sierra and you wish to run the Surface Scan to examine your usual startup device, or perform a Volume Optimization or a File Optimization.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 27 May 2018 22:08 by micromattech3.

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 22:08 #9704

micromattech3 wrote:
I have made a correction to this thread and another. Thanks for your observations, which agree with notes I made in January.

Restarting from a bootable volume on another device is required if you are using High Sierra and you wish to run the Surface Scan to examine your usual startup device, or perform a Volume Optimization or a File Optimization.

Understand. And in my case, given that I have SSDs, the Volume and File Optimization tests are not to be run, correct?

E Drive creation fails 27 May 2018 22:12 #9705

Correct. The makers of SSD drives do not recommend running optimizations on them, because the drive's firmware puts file extents (pieces) in locations determined by wear-leveling code, which seeks to prolong the life of the drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds