Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: DC-In Sensor test failing

DC-In Sensor test failing 01 Apr 2018 15:56 #9526

I'm getting a Sensors test fail on my 2013 MacBook Air of "DC-In 16.56V Failed." This is only the case when the computer is plugged in. What does this failure indicate?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DC-In Sensor test failing 01 Apr 2018 16:18 #9527

All I can tell you is that the voltage does not closely match the specification for that voltage that Apple has published. If you send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , you may be able to learn some more details when you receive a reply on Monday.

From the TechTool Pro 9.6.1 manual, page 5.21 (page 45 of 129 of the pdf file):

Sensors Test:

Macs are equipped with a number of sensors that are used to monitor temperatures, voltages, and currents of various components on and attached to the motherboard. The Sensors test gathers the current values reported by the various sensors and compares them to a database of known minimum and maximum values. If any of the sensors falls outside of the current range, a failure is reported. In the event of a failure, it is recommended to take your Mac to an authorized Apple repair center.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2018 16:19 by micromattech3.

DC-In Sensor test failing 23 Jan 2019 03:49 #10565

Same problem: 2013 MacBook Air 13-inch getting a sensor failure test result. DC-in reading 16.03v is highlighted in red as being incorrect.

Other than contacting the help desk directly, what is the solution? Is this a big problem? The battery tests out as "good" and charges up and discharges properly.

One observation, the Mac turns off without my doing so. Does this plugged in and not plugged in. I have disabled all sleep settings, auto log off settings and screen savers. No system prefs are making it sleep, restart, log off or shut down.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Chris
Attachments:

DC-In Sensor test failing 23 Jan 2019 10:59 #10566

I suspect that the voltage is too high at least part of the time, and that is why the MacBook Air is turning itself off. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. may be able to confirm that. In any case, I think you will be taking your MacBook Air to a service center.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds