Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Tech Tool's False Warning Message

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 29 Nov 2017 02:06 #8870

How do you stop Tech tool from putting up a False warnings...Tech Tools keep poping up warning of my mac having only 13% left on the disk warning...I have cleaned some of the disk and removed files, so now my HD has over 25% free space. But Tech Tools keeps reporting the 13%....Real Frustrating for a current product having such issues...I've even run the entire suite of tools hoping this would reset what the software thinks is wrong... It pops up the warning every 15 mins or so...real frustrating.
Ready to ask for a refund.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 29 Nov 2017 04:42 #8872

The amount of free space reported by TechTool Pro agrees with the amount of free space shown in the Storage tab of the Hardware section of the System Report you see when you choose About This Mac...and then System Report. The Finder does not take into account the space occupied by a number of directories.

You can turn off the warning in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. The feature is called Volume Usage. 13 % free space is considered too low, and is likely to result in free space so fragmented that virtual memory swapfiles are created in a fragmented state, which greatly reduces performance.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017 05:13 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 29 Nov 2017 04:51 #8874

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 29 Nov 2017 07:15 #8875

Thanks for the note about changing the user name, but I guess you don't use your own forum tools...you can change all the info but User name. PS there is no link called "My Account" here, but I found the info finally and you can change everything but the user name. How about one of you guys do it and make it "Tewart"

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 29 Nov 2017 07:24 #8876

Since you know lots more about a Macbook Pro than I do technically, how can the System Report show 10G free on storage, and when you do Option I on the hard drive it shows 99G free, shouldn't your tools also help fix this mis-match of info? It looks to be a problem and as a customer it would be nice to fix this issue.

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 29 Nov 2017 11:12 #8877

My Account is at the top of the forums page:

I cannot edit your account.
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017 11:13 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 29 Nov 2017 11:17 #8878

Option I uses the inaccurate data from the Finder. This has been known throughout the Macintosh community for years. For example:

Disk Utility showing less available space than the Finder in OS X
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 15 Dec 2018 14:58 #10478

Can any of you tell me what this means? /Users/gholmes/Desktop/Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 3.41.20 PM.jpg
Attachments:

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 15 Dec 2018 18:03 #10479

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.

The diagnosis from TechTool Pros SMART test shows that there is a problem with the SMART attribute called Current Pending Sectors. This attribute is one with which many people are not familiar. Please read carefully this description from the manual of our dedicated SMART utility, DriveScope:

Attribute 197 - Current Pending Sectors Count
Lower Raw Value is better - Critical Attribute
This attribute is the current count of unstable blocks waiting to be remapped. If a sector marked for remapping is subsequently written or read successfully, this value is decreased and the sector is not re-mapped to the reserve sector table. Remapping will only occur on a failed write attempt and if a spare sector is available, while failed reads do not cause remapping. After remapping a sector, the raw value will be decreased and reallocated sector count will be increased. See SMART attribute 5 increases in reallocated sectors.

WARNING: If a failure is reported for this attribute, backup the data immediately and consider replacing the device as soon as possible.

In the last year, I have had two interesting cases of elevated pending sector counts on my internal HGST drive, and have had helpful support from them in interpreting the results.

Twice my iMac (mid-2010) has frozen, and I have been unable to perform a proper shutdown. When the iMac froze, eight sectors on the internal drive were involved in a read or write event. Because the iMac froze, the read or write event failed, and the firmware of the drive marked those blocks as "pending", meaning they need investigation later.

DriveScope showed that there were eight pending blocks. I ran the Surface Scan in TechTool Pro, and it found eight blocks that it could not read. TechTool Pro identifies the unreadable blocks by their block numbers. DriveScope does not identify the pending blocks by their block numbers. I thought it was just too much of a coincidence that there were eight pending blocks and eight blocks found to be unreadable by the Surface Scan. It is possible that recent pending blocks cannot be read by the Surface Scan, because the drive's firmware prevents any reading from or writing to such blocks. That is something I hope to learn more about later.

A second run of the Surface Scan apparently caused the drive to investigate the pending blocks, which were found to be readable. The Surface Scan then reported no bad blocks, and the Current Pending Blocks count went from eight back to zero. I have screen captures of most of the steps involved in investigating the pending sectors.

So, I suggest that you be sure to back up your data, and run the Surface Scan. If it finds unreadable blocks (reported as "errors"), run it again in a few days. The maker of the drive mechanism may be able to give you some information about how their drives resolve pending blocks.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 14 Jul 2019 14:09 #11257

I started getting this false message today, even though my volumes all have at least half a terrabyte of space and there was no volume I have ever given the name TechTool was indicating.

Because the remedies given in the thread are such complex gobbledygook for the average user, my solution was to send TechTool Pro to the trash and delete it.

That didn't stop the messages, though, so I guess I'll have to restart.

I'll install TechTool again when I need to do something specific with it. A program like that shouldn't have that kind of bug.

Tech Tool's False Warning Message 14 Jul 2019 16:29 #11258

If the alert is for a volume you do not have, it is because a plist file has become corrupted.

For future reference, you do not remove TechTool Pro by dragging the application icon to the Trash.

The TechTool Pro 9 installer is in your available downloads, at the bottom of your My Account page, linked above. After you download the installer, launch it, and use the Customize button and the checkboxes to remove the program. Then reinstall it.

Before you uninstall the program, open the TechTool Protection system preferences pane, and make a screen capture of the way the Email Alerts feature is configured.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds