Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Mac OS Trash Error Message: "This item will be deleted immediately."

Mac OS Trash Error Message: "This item will be deleted immediately." 28 Nov 2017 00:50 #8864

I have an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) running OS X El Capitan (10.11.6 (15G17023)). The startup disk is a 120 GB Solid State SATA Drive and I have an internal 1 TB SATA Disk for document storage.

When I delete an item from the Solid State SATA Drive, the item is moved to the Trash and I can choose to empty the trash at a later time.

When I try to delete an item from the internal SATA Disk, I get the alert message: "This item will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action."

Can TechTool Pro 9 be used to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mac OS Trash Error Message: "This item will be deleted immediately." 28 Nov 2017 02:08 #8865

It has been years since I have seen this problem. By searching for "El Capitan" and the exact text of the error message, I found this thread:

discussions.apple.com/thread/7572682?start=0&tstart=0

Try the solution outlined by Link Davis. It involves pasting one line of text into the Terminal application, located in /Applications/Utilities. He states at that the invisible Trash folder in your user folder has been replaced by a file. So, the reason the file you are trying to delete must be deleted immediately rather than put in the invisible Trash folder is that the Trash folder itself is gone(!). When you launch Terminal, the current directory is the one for the current user, so there is no need to change the current directory before creating the new Trash folder, which has its name preceded by a period, to make it invisible. Link Davis' command says to move the file named .Trash to a temporary directory, then create a folder named .Trash at the top level of the current user's home folder. It makes sense that this should work.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds