Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't build eDrive

Can't build eDrive 21 Nov 2017 14:00 #8854

I have Mavericks running on a 1TB fusion drive on my 2011 iMac. Having been told I can't have the eDrive on a fusion drive, I also have a 75GB partition on the HDD on which I have installed Sierra - there's 61GB space left after doing that.

Back in Mavericks I selected the Sierra partition for the eDrive, and the fusion drive as the source. During Partitioning, the Partition Map was successfully checked, but as soon as it came to 'Splitting', the job failed. Clicking the Sierra destination once more on the eDrive window it told me there was not enough free space on the volume. Not enough?? 61GB free when all the eDrive requires in total is 20GB according to the manual?

There's something very wrong here. (I've done Volume Rebuild on the Sierra partition, then tried again - same failure).

What gives?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't build eDrive 21 Nov 2017 14:19 #8855

At this point, the eDrive is supposed to be able to be created on a Fusion drive. As I recall, you asked about this issue recently.

The most likely reason why the splitting could not be done was that the free space on the Sierra volume was too fragmented. In many cases, the code used to split the volume moves files in order to make enough free, contiguous disk space at one "end" of the volume to create the eDrive. I am not sure why that is not happening in your case. You could use the Volume Optimization preview to see how fragmented the free space is, and then, after making a backup of the Sierra volume, run the File Optimization and then the Volume Optimization on it.

If optimizing the Sierra volume does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email. Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 11 Dec 2017 19:33 #8944

hello, I too am unable to build a new eDrive. I can not use the Volume Optimization due to "...not Available on APFS formatted volumes..."

any suggestions?

Can't build eDrive 11 Dec 2017 19:41 #8946

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report.

Volume and File Optimizations are not enabled for SSD drives, because they would work against wear-leveling that extends the life of the drive.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 11 Dec 2017 19:41 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjgunther

Can't build eDrive 12 Dec 2017 00:57 #8958

Is this also possibly due to have File Vault on?

Can't build eDrive 12 Dec 2017 01:01 #8960

Yes, but I would have thought that you would get a dialog box telling you that FileVault must be disabled before the eDrive can be created.

From the TechTool Pro 9.6.1 manual, page 6.3:

NOTE FileVault must be disabled on the Mac OS X Source Volume prior to creating an eDrive. It can be re- enabled once the eDrive has been created.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjgunther

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 10:09 #8973

In answer to the replies so far:

1. The eDrive is not being created on the SSD - it's a separate partition on the HDD that only holds a basic installation of Sierra (this is not part of the Fusion Drive)
2. This partiton has been defragmented
3. File Vault is not on

I have sent emails to Micromat's help team and answered all their questions. I have not received a reply to my last email which was quite a while ago. I do hope this issue can be resolved as frankly I'm beginning to lose confidence in the product.

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 11:04 #8975

Thanks for the update.

I am not sure what you mean by "quite a while ago", but it would not hurt to send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. asking if they received your last message. Thanks for your cooperation and your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 17:01 #8977

Have re-sent my last email. Thank you.

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 18:02 #8978

You are welcome, and I hope some progress will be made soon.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 18:52 #8979

I am running HighSierra on a 2016 mqcbook pro and TechTool Pro 9.6.1. An eDrive can not be created on my hard drive formatted as APFS. It fails during the partition phase. I have tried on multiple drives. As long as the destination disk is formatted as APFS it fails.
I have notified support 48 hours ago as requested but have not had a reply.

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 18:59 #8980

Brand new MacBook Pro using High Sierra, and 500GB SDSD, with TechTool Pro 9.5.3. Encryption Vault turned off. Still cannot create an eDrive - no options shown as available for drive source or destination drive.

Do I need to upgrade>
Ken

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 19:10 #8981

I am running High Sierra and techtool pro 9.6.1 on my 2016 macbook pro. Techtool cannot build an eDrive on my internal SSD hard drive formatted as APFS. The application fails during the partition phase. I have tried t do so on multiple drives and only succeed when the destination drive is not formatted as APFS.
As requested by support 48 hours agoI have sent an email explaining the issue with the requested system report but have not heard back

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 19:21 #8984

leonardforman,

In the aftermath of a major new release, response time on support email may be slower than usual. Also, investigating why an eDrive cannot be created is sometimes not a straightforward matter. Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: leonardforman

Can't build eDrive 13 Dec 2017 19:23 #8985

kbausano,

TechTool Pro 9.5.3 is not compatible with High Sierra. The upgrade to TechTool Pro 9.6.1 is $20 in our online store.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 14 Dec 2017 14:36 #9008

I have Version 9.6.1 (3523-9aa8d64) running on 10.13.2 on an iMac with an Apple SSD.
Creating e-drive fails at partitioning stage.
When I upgraded to this version, I successfully deleted an e-drive created under 10.12 using 9.5.

Can't build eDrive 14 Dec 2017 15:34 #9011

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report and some log files related to the crash.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 15 Dec 2017 00:25 by micromattech3.

Can't build eDrive 14 Dec 2017 15:46 #9013

Tech support suggested several steps including creating a new user administrative account and download and reinstall a fresh copy of Mac OS. Doing that eliminated the problem and I was able to create the eDrive. Thanks

Can't build eDrive 14 Dec 2017 15:47 #9014

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

That approach sometimes works because the regular account was copying something to the eDrive that either took up too much space, or prevented it from working.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 14 Dec 2017 15:48 by micromattech3.

Can't build eDrive 16 Dec 2017 23:57 #9064

I also get the fail message whenever I try to build an eDrive with 9.6.1 in High Sierra. Turning off FileVault doesn’t help.

Can't build eDrive 17 Dec 2017 00:02 #9065

Please try the suggestions in posting #9013, above. If none of them work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report.

If the eDrive creation process fails at the partitioning stage:

In order to create the eDrive on a device containing a Recovery HD volume, the Recovery HD volume has to be moved. This process failed when some people had a Recovery HD volume that was not one of the default sizes used by Apple. Anyone who has the creation of the eDrive fail at the partitioning stage is asked to contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2017 00:02 by micromattech3.

Can't build eDrive 08 Jan 2018 22:38 #9212

I have tried contacting your help email team, but despite my repeating over and over again that I'm not trying to create the eDrive on the Fusion drive, they seem unable to understand this simple fact.

However, something in your last reply here may give a clue : the non-Fusion partition on my hard drive where I'm trying to create the eDrive, has a simple and basic installation of Sierra on. This will presumably have created a Recovery partition somewhere in that same partition (everything else on my computer is the Fusion Drive). Could it be the presence of the Sierra Recovery drive that causes the eDrive to fail immediately at the Splitting stage (though it appears to pass the first stage, Partition Map)?

Can't build eDrive 08 Jan 2018 23:24 #9213

That could be the problem.

There is a simple way to see all of the volumes on your devices. Open Terminal, located in /Applications/Utilities, and type:

diskutil list

Press the Return key. The output will look something like this, with your volumes shown and their mount points:
Macintosh:/ MMT3$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *4.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            4.0 TB     disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS G-Drive_Q_232           249.2 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *4.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS H_G_Wells               4.0 TB     disk2s2

The output above scrolls, so be sure to get to the last line, 2: Apple_HFS H_G_Wells 4.0 TB disk2s2.

There are two Recovery HD volumes in my system at the moment, both named Recovery HD, with a partition type of Apple_Boot.

Please send the output from your diskutil list command to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . In the aftermath of a new release, response times are sometimes longer than usual. We appreciate your patience, and you may be offered a build of the program that is intended to solve this problem. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2018 23:28 by micromattech3.

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 09:43 #9214

Diskutil list sent to help email.

FYI this is the relevant output:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 127.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 925.2 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS Sierra and eDrive 73.9 GB disk1s4
5: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s5
/dev/disk2
0: Apple_HFS Macintosh Fusion *1.1 TB disk2

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 11:23 #9215

Thanks for your cooperation. I hope this information will help to clarify why you have not been able to create an eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 14:33 #9216

Hi - what information?

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 16:05 #9217

The output of the diskutil list command, which you posted above. It may provide a clue about why the eDrive cannot be created.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 16:31 #9218

Hi - I understand the output of diskutil, but I don't see how it affects the creation of an eDrive?

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 17:41 #9219

From posting #9065, above:

In order to create the eDrive on a device containing a Recovery HD volume, the Recovery HD volume has to be moved. This process failed when some people had a Recovery HD volume that was not one of the default sizes used by Apple. Anyone who has the creation of the eDrive fail at the partitioning stage is asked to contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 17:46 #9220

1. How do you move a Recovery HD volume? It's invisible!
2. The Sierra Recovery HD would be a default size as it was created by the installation of Sierra.
3. The eDrive didn't fail at the partition map stage, but at the 'Splitting' stage.

I seem to be repeating myself many times!

Can't build eDrive 09 Jan 2018 18:36 #9221

The developers know how to use the system software tools to split volumes, whether they are visible or not. Splitting a volume requires updating the partition map.

I am not sure whether your case is identical to the others that have been reported, but the diskutil output cannot hurt.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 10 Jan 2018 11:01 #9227

Can you please advise me what to do then?

Can't build eDrive 10 Jan 2018 11:02 #9228

You need to get in touch with This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Please send them a message, including a link to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 10 Jan 2018 11:35 #9229

MicromatTid,

Please run the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks, and send that result to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. when the test finishes. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 10 Jan 2018 21:31 #9234

I have the same issue with a MBP High Sierra internal SSD (APFS) using TT 9.6.1. The installation bombs every time at the "partitioning" stage.

Can't build eDrive 10 Jan 2018 23:39 #9236

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Each of these failures needs to be investigated. Thanks for your cooperation.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: goestoeleven

Can't build eDrive 10 Jan 2018 23:53 #9237

Screen name changed.

I'm in touch with Support. Thanks!

Can't build eDrive 11 Jan 2018 00:04 #9238

That was commendably quick on changing the screen name, and thanks again.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 11 Jan 2018 00:07 #9239

avoiding spam is a powerful incentive!

Can't build eDrive 11 Jan 2018 00:13 #9240

True!
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 14 Jan 2018 10:02 #9267

I have already run TTP9 on my computer and there are no bad blocks.

To be honest, I'm really tired and fed up with running back and forth between this forum and the support team via email. I end up saying the same things over and over again. I do not think the support team are competent, either that or they do not bother to read my many messages.

I won't pursue this any further with the support team and ask that you - micromattech3 - take responsibility for my issue. Your first job is to convince me that I didn't make a very big mistake upgrading to TTP9, because right now I'm on the verge of asking for my money back.

Can't build eDrive 14 Jan 2018 11:11 #9269

MicromatTid,

Once you have gotten in touch with the support team, there is no need to post anything further about an issue in the forums, unless you wish to tell people what the ultimate resolution to the problem was, which other people may find helpful. There is no way that I can take responsibility for your issue.

It is possible that the support team is a bit behind in its work, because the new version was released recently. Some problems require more time to investigate than others, because the same symptoms can have multiple possible causes. Thanks for your cooperation, and I hope some progress will be made in your case soon.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 14 Jan 2018 23:04 #9276

"I hope some progress will be made in your case soon"

Well, please kick them into action because I'm not going to bother telling them again what I've already told them.

Can't build eDrive 14 Jan 2018 23:12 #9277

I have forwarded one of your recent additions to this thread to someone who can look into whether you have been sent replies to your recent messages. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 15 Jan 2018 18:24 #9278

You were sent a message on December 18, 2017, that explained to you that a Fusion drive can only have one partition added to the drive, which already contains the usual boot volume. You had already created a volume that you named eDrive. The user is not intended to create a volume named eDrive. The eDrive pane of TechTool Pro does that.

On January 11, 2018, the beta administrator for TechTool pro sent to you the 3609 build of the 9.6.2 beta of TechTool Pro, which we expected you to install to see if it resolved the problem. Neither the beta administrator nor This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. has received a reply from you about that. Please install the beta, see if it resolves the issue, and send the results via email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 16 Jan 2018 21:55 #9284

this is EXACTLY the kind of nonsense I've referred to. How many times must I tell you that the partition (for Sierra & eDRive) WAS CREATED ON THE MAC'S HDD BEFORE THE FUSION DRIVE WAS CREATED FROM THE REMAINDER OF THE HDD PLUS THE SSD.

If I had just £10 for each time I've told you and the support team this simple fact, I'd be very wealthy now.

Please act on this information or refund my money NOW.

Can't build eDrive 16 Jan 2018 22:07 #9285

You will be receiving a reply by email from us after someone has looked into the order of creation of volumes you have described.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 16 Jan 2018 22:17 #9286

Well, thank you. About time.

Can't build eDrive 16 Jan 2018 22:19 #9287

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive 25 Jan 2018 19:34 #9298

Hi every one, it seems that I have the same issue. I am running a version of the High Sierra (10.13.3) with an SSD 500Gb internal drive. I have recently bought a WD Elements external drive1Tb, which I have formated to APFS. I have tried to create can eDrive and this operation failed. I have also tried to create an image of the internal hard drive to this external drive and this also failed. I am running TechTool Prro 9.6.

Can someone help me with this issue, as it seems a total waist of money purchasing this version of TechTool.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds