Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Can't build eDrive

Can't build eDrive 21 Nov 2017 14:00 #8854

I have Mavericks running on a 1TB fusion drive on my 2011 iMac. Having been told I can't have the eDrive on a fusion drive, I also have a 75GB partition on the HDD on which I have installed Sierra - there's 61GB space left after doing that.

Back in Mavericks I selected the Sierra partition for the eDrive, and the fusion drive as the source. During Partitioning, the Partition Map was successfully checked, but as soon as it came to 'Splitting', the job failed. Clicking the Sierra destination once more on the eDrive window it told me there was not enough free space on the volume. Not enough?? 61GB free when all the eDrive requires in total is 20GB according to the manual?

There's something very wrong here. (I've done Volume Rebuild on the Sierra partition, then tried again - same failure).

What gives?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't build eDrive 21 Nov 2017 14:19 #8855

At this point, the eDrive is supposed to be able to be created on a Fusion drive. As I recall, you asked about this issue recently.

The most likely reason why the splitting could not be done was that the free space on the Sierra volume was too fragmented. In many cases, the code used to split the volume moves files in order to make enough free, contiguous disk space at one "end" of the volume to create the eDrive. I am not sure why that is not happening in your case. You could use the Volume Optimization preview to see how fragmented the free space is, and then, after making a backup of the Sierra volume, run the File Optimization and then the Volume Optimization on it.

If optimizing the Sierra volume does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email. Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't build eDrive Yesterday 19:33 #8944

hello, I too am unable to build a new eDrive. I can not use the Volume Optimization due to "...not Available on APFS formatted volumes..."

any suggestions?

Can't build eDrive Yesterday 19:41 #8946

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report.

Volume and File Optimizations are not enabled for SSD drives, because they would work against wear-leveling that extends the life of the drive.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: Yesterday 19:41 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjgunther

Can't build eDrive Yesterday 00:57 #8958

Is this also possibly due to have File Vault on?

Can't build eDrive Yesterday 01:01 #8960

Yes, but I would have thought that you would get a dialog box telling you that FileVault must be disabled before the eDrive can be created.

From the TechTool Pro 9.6.1 manual, page 6.3:

NOTE FileVault must be disabled on the Mac OS X Source Volume prior to creating an eDrive. It can be re- enabled once the eDrive has been created.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjgunther
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds