Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Optimization TTP 9.5.3 and OS 10.12.6

Volume Optimization TTP 9.5.3 and OS 10.12.6 26 Oct 2017 13:01 #8711

My backups seemed to be taking longer so I decided to check out my hard drives using the updated TTP 9.5. Several problems occurred, but I will just focus on this one for now.

I ran Volume Optimization on my Time Machine drive after turning off Time Machine. It is a 2 TB USB 3.0 WD drive.

5 days later I shut it off after it reached 60%.

I have an iMac 5K Retina with 32GB RAM and running a 4 GHz i7 processor. There is no reason I can come up with to explain it.

I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Optimization TTP 9.5.3 and OS 10.12.6 26 Oct 2017 13:14 #8712

There is no way to know how long an optimization should take. It depends on drive speed, bus speed, processor speed, and the exact distribution pattern of the file pieces (called "extents") and free space fragments on the volume.

The most efficient approach is to run the file optimization first, and then the volume optimization.

I suggest that you not optimize your Time Machine volume. One should never run a disk optimizer on a volume for which there is not a backup. Most people do not have a clone of their Time Machine. It might be helpful to use the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities, to see if the system log shows any unusual errors when Time Machine is running slowly.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Optimization TTP 9.5.3 and OS 10.12.6 28 Oct 2017 15:39 #8716

Thanks, but as I stated in my post, the drive was running very slow and I wanted to speed it up. I'm unaware of any other options to do so.

Days to run an optimization is nuts on any level.

Volume Optimization TTP 9.5.3 and OS 10.12.6 28 Oct 2017 16:20 #8717

If an optimization is taking too long, the best approach is to stop it and to use a utility capable of making a clone of the source volume to a destination volume, erasing the destination volume, and then cloning back to the source volume. Disk optimizers all work slowly on volumes with very many files, and heavily fragmented free space. Once the volume is optimized via clongin, subsequent optimizations can be done with a disk optimizer.

In the case of a Time Machine volume, be sure that the utility is capable of copying the hard links correctly. I know that Super Duper can clone a Time Machine volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Optimization TTP 9.5.3 and OS 10.12.6 28 Oct 2017 17:03 #8718

Try running the Surface Scan test to check the WD drive for unremapped bad blocks. The test is read-only, and can be run overnight.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds