Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How to move directory backup

How to move directory backup 26 Sep 2017 18:56 #8639

My directory backups all seem to be put on HD1, my small SSD, and I am running out of space. In System Preferences, I can add another drive as a location, but cannot remove HD1. How can I move the backups off HD1? They are Huge!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to move directory backup 26 Sep 2017 19:15 #8642

I tried to answer this question in your other thread.

If you are using TechTool Pro 9.5.2 or 9.5.3, and you cannot opt out of having the directory file be written to the protected volume after you have chosen a second location for the directory backup file, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You should be able to do that with these recent versions. You cannot do that with TechTool Pro 7.

Once you have chosen a second location, and saved it, you should be able to select the first location, and then use the minus sign to remove it.

Here is a detailed description from an earlier posting:

The Directory Backup feature of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane allows you to delete (using the minus sign) the default backup location for a protected volume after you have added another location (using the plus sign).

The interface in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane is intended to make certain that you cannot delete the default location without having already specified another location, thereby having no location at all.

If you choose to turn off the default location, after having chosen another location, the directory backup file is first written to /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection/(volume name). The directory backup file is copied to the other location that was chosen, at the root level of its volume, in a folder named /TechTool Protection. Then the original directory backup file at /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection(volume name) having just been copied to the other location, is deleted. In other words, at this point, the program cannot directly write the directory backup to the other location, but must copy it from the default location.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Sep 2017 19:22 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds