Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 13:43 #8782

The most common reason why a volume cannot be unmounted is that it has open files on it:

Instructions for using the lsof command to locate open files.

You can try to determine why a boot is slow by repeating the boot while holding down the Command and V keys at the start of the boot, so that the data that will later appear in the system.log file is displayed onscreen during the boot (white text on a black background). Since you see pauses in real time, they are more readily brought to your attention than they would be by reading the system.log file with the Console application (in /Applications/Utilities).
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2017 13:19 by micromattech3.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gbdoc

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 18:30 #8783

just my personal thought and i do not want to create a war here:

Apple " claims " that we can create separate partitions on an external disk drive albeit in all my years ( +30 years dedicated to buying/using Apple products = the days when computers plus monitors cost more than ten thousand dollars in Canada ) i have learned the hard way that the Apple claim is really not true.

I found that it may work once in a while but when things go south you;re done. When you bring up the problem where ever there are always a thousand and 6 reasons telling me what i did wrong and it is never the Utility software at fault. i'm OK with that because computer software can go south or even a glitch in power can upset the startup or shutdown or even during the running of the programme. Even an third party application can be poorly coded.

These days with USB drives being relatively cheap i buy a USB drive and dedicate an MacOS to that drive and buy another USB drive to clone a copy sometimes i use ChronoSync to backup/clone.

Even after all that I fully trust and rely on businesses such Micromat to keep my MacOS running smoothly and i take their advice to heart because I'm sure they want to develop the best product on the market and want me to continue purchasing their software. So keep up the good work Micromat tech guys.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 18:46 #8784

gbdoc wrote:
Follow-up, and warning (don’t do what I did):

My setup:
2 AirBooks (mine and wife’s, both with 10.13.1, so both now APFS), both cloned (with SuperDuper!) onto separate partitions on an external disk drive, which also has 2 more partitions for “Extras”, one each for me and wife, containing docs and other stuff which we only use rarely). That drive, all 4 partitions on it, was originally HSF+.

Performance before High Sierra:
When I mounted the external drive, all 4 partitions came up quickly on my desktop, and when I ejected them, they all ejected neatly and promptly. When I booted from one of the clones, the bootup time was longer than bootup on the AirBooks, taking maybe about 3-4 minutes.

Performance now, with HS:
I reformatted the two clone partitions to APFS, and cloned each AirBook with SD’s “Erase and copy”. The 2 Extras partitions remain HFS+.

Strange behaviour 1: when I mount the external disk, the Extras partitions appear on my desktop as quickly as they did before, but the 2 clones only appear after a bit. And when I eject all 4 partitions, the Extras eject fine, but both clones not so fine: they disappear from the desktop, but for each I get a “couldn’t be ejected, must use force eject”. (Spotlight’s “Privacy” prefs are set to exclude all 4 partitions.)

Strange behaviour 2: booting up from both clones works, but now takes at least 10 minutes or more!!! And doing any work on that disk, opening files, apps, etc., is very sluggish.

Conclusion: it seems that APFS degrades performance on hard disks (non-SSDs). While it works, it works much more slowly than HFS+. In retrospect, it seems it was a mistake to reformat the clones to APFS. It’s a bummer that Disk Utility can’t reformat them back to HFS+. I understand that that can be done using Terminal, but I’ve never worked with that, and don’t feel comfortable trying.

That may change when TTP and Disk Warrior can finally work with APFS, maybe performance with HDs can be improved, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Thanks for that informative post. Too bad things are not yet "well".

From what I gather, you had been using an "earlier" beta version of SuperDuper! V3.0. Well, according to the latest blog from Shirt Pocket Software, it appears that such "struggles" are occurring with V3.0 of SuperDuper!

www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/comm...beta_7_spooktacular/

Fortunately, my entire disk "environment" are all Samsung SSDs. However, on by external ones, one of the partitions is only used for storing various items, while the other 2 are devoted to SuperDuper! backups. So, even if SuperDuper! and High Sierra were stabilized enough, and an upgrade for Tech Tool Pro was available, my internal SSDs would be formatted as APFS via a (clean) installation of High Sierra (OS 10.13.1 at this point), and when I choose to backup, via SuperDuper!, to each of my external SSDs, each applicable partition would first be formatted, by SuperDuper!, as APFS, and then the backup would proceed. However, that third partition would still be formatted as HFS+. I wonder how performance would be in that case.

I guess I could first copy the stuff off that "data" partition to another device (I still have a 1 TB external (slow 5400 rpm) HDD that I am trying to sell), Erase and Format that partition as APFS (via High Sierra), and then copy the stuff back. But, would that be necessary?

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 18:57 #8785

Walter,

Thanks for your kind comments and your confidence in us.

It should be possible to create more than one volume on a device. If one were to try to add a volume to a device, keep in mind that the task requires writing to the partition map, somethingApple has always emphasized requires making a backup of all the present volumes on the device. The partition map is a very small data structure, but a single bit error in it can lead to the loss of all the volumes on the device, and the need to reformat it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 19:56 #8786

micromattech3 wrote:
It should be possible to create more than one volume on a device. If one were to try to add a volume to a device, keep in mind that the task requires writing to the partition map, somethingApple has always emphasized requires making a backup of all the present volumes on the device. The partition map is a very small data structure, but a single bit error in it can lead to the loss of all the volumes on the device, and the need to reformat it.

We shouldn't forget that TTP has this wonderful thing, the eDrive, which is on a separate partition of the boot drive, and has never failed me. The one thing that irks me is that SuperDuper only clones one partition rather than the whole drive, so the eDrive isn't on the clone. I've thought about some work-around, but never tried anything.

In passing, I should mention how helpful many of these recent posts have been. Thanks to you all.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 19:58 #8787

micromattech3 wrote:
Walter,

Thanks for your kind comments and your confidence in us.

I know I have said it before, but just like Walter, keep up the good work, Micromat! I truly suspect that when a version of Tech Tool Pro for High Sierra compatibility is released, it will be rock solid.

Now, your comments about the partition map are interesting. As I mentioned, my two external Samsung 512 gig 850 Pro SSDs have 3 partitions each: two of them are for the respective SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs, and the third one just contains various types of files (Photos, Movies, and TV Series primarily). Each of those partitions (and of course each entire device) is formatted as HFS+. From what I understand, if I upgrade to High Sierra and SuperDuper! V3.0, each internal SSD (via a clean installation of OS 10.3.x), and both of the SuperDuper! backup partitions (via a SuperDuper! backup of the respective High Sierra-based system on each of my Macs) will be formatted/re-formatted as APFS. But I still have the question regarding the third "data" HFS+ partition on each of the external SSDs. Do I leave them alone, and will they function fine? And what about the partition map for each of those volumes? Or should I make exact of those external devices (ie, each partition) APFS? And if I do that, can I do it after SuperDuper! reformats the two backup partitions as APFS, and will the partition map be OK?

If the suggestion is to make each of the external SSDs APFS, would it be better to use the version of Disk Utility in High Sierra to format each entire volume as APFS, and then subsequently the 3 partitions? (I of course will first copy all 3 partitions to my (still available) external HDD).

It would not be surprising if this is a "continuing" effort/scenario, given the issues associated with APFS, High Sierra, and the beta 3.0 of SuperDuper!. I wonder how Carbon Copy Cloner is coping with all this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micromattech3

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 20:56 #8789

Akent35,

You have raised some interesting questions about devices with multiple volumes, but even at MacInTouch I have seen no comments about what happens when an internal SSD that has multiple volumes has High Sierra installed on its bootable volume.

Keep in mind that the partition map scheme for APFS is still GUID.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 21:00 #8790

Things can get confusing if you have more than one eDrive, which is why the program attempts to prevent it.

You could remove the eDrive on the internal drive, boot from the clone, create an eDrive on the device containing the clone, then boot from your internal drive and unmount the volumes on the device containing the clone. At that point, you could create a new eDrive on the internal drive. It has been years since I have tried that.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 21:14 #8792

micromattech3 wrote:
Things can get confusing if you have more than one eDrive, which is why the program attempts to prevent it.

You could remove the eDrive on the internal drive, boot from the clone, create an eDrive on the device containing the clone, then boot from your internal drive and unmount the volumes on the device containing the clone. At that point, you could create a new eDrive on the internal drive. It has been years since I have tried that.

Ah, I just remembered why I never tried to create an eDrive on my external backups, and why it's not a problem (must have had a senior moment). The major reason for booting from my clone is if my Mac's drive had such a big problem that I couldn't even access that drive's eDrive. But, of course, my clone already has TTP (and DW) on it, which I'd use to hopefully repair things. In other words, an eDrive on the clone is unnecessary.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 06 Nov 2017 23:06 #8793

bbdoc,

Thanks for clarifying your strategy.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 07 Nov 2017 19:18 #8794

micromattech3 wrote:
Akent35,

You have raised some interesting questions about devices with multiple volumes, but even at MacInTouch I have seen no comments about what happens when an internal SSD that has multiple volumes has High Sierra installed on its bootable volume.

Keep in mind that the partition map scheme for APFS is still GUID.

Thank you for the information about GUID. Regarding my environment, for both of my Macs, the internal SSD (the one I start each machine from) is just one partition (and as I have mentioned, I make a concerted effort, via on my own and with the help of Onyx and Tech Tool Pro) to keep each of them "lean, mean, and clean". It's the two external SSDs that are partitioned into 3 "pieces" (again, two of them are for the respective SuperDuper! backups for each of my Macs, and the third one contains just various "stuff"). It is the situation for those drives that I was talking about.

I'm just thinking that the best "solution" would be to 1) copy the stuff from third "data" partition to my spare external (non-SSD) drive, use Disk Utility via High Sierra to Erase and Format the drive as APFS at the Volume level, then partition it into 3 partitions, and for each partition, if necessary, format each one as APFS, and finally copy the date stuff back from my spare drive to one of the partitions. Of course, this is all for planning purposes, as I am not upgrading yet to High Sierra for the reasons I have already mentioned (ie, getting things straight with High Sierra, and compatible versions of Tech Tool Pro, SuperDuper! (non-beta), and the Logitech Control Center software need to be available). I just hope that even if my third party apps are compatible with High Sierra, that they can also access needed files that are on APFS volumes. One would suspect that would be the case, and in my case, 99% of that would be using VLC to watch movies and/or TV series on my Mac.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 07 Nov 2017 19:23 #8795

gbdoc wrote:
micromattech3 wrote:

Ah, I just remembered why I never tried to create an eDrive on my external backups, and why it's not a problem (must have had a senior moment). The major reason for booting from my clone is if my Mac's drive had such a big problem that I couldn't even access that drive's eDrive. But, of course, my clone already has TTP (and DW) on it, which I'd use to hopefully repair things. In other words, an eDrive on the clone is unnecessary.

Yes, gbdoc, TTP is on the clone. The eDrive is (primarily) needed to performing some of the tasks that TTP does, but must be done in an "isolated" manner. Whenever I start up TTP on either of my Macs to perform disk cleanup, maintenance, and repairs, I then select the eDrive to re-start my Mac from, just for the reason I mentioned. But as you noted, by booting your Mac from the clone and selecting TTP there to perform the tasks I mentioned on your Mac's internal drive, TTP will do those tasks in an "isolated" fashion, ie, not operating on the clone's environment.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 08 Nov 2017 18:48 #8796

Well, things are looking up! Shirt Pocket software has released V3.0 of SuperDuper!, and it is fully compatible with High Sierra. Here is the link that discusses that:

www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

I have already downloaded the new version, but note that it is fully compatible for any Mac OS 10.9 and above.

For myself, I am getting closer and closer to upgrading to High Sierra. Just need to see upgrades for Tech Tool Pro and the Logitech Control Center software for my Logitech mice.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 08 Nov 2017 19:33 #8797

Dave Nanian, author of Super Duper, has a new blog entry:

Bad Craziness, Good Release!
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 08 Nov 2017 19:59 #8798

micromattech3 wrote:
Dave Nanian, author of Super Duper, has a new blog entry:

Bad Craziness, Good Release!

Interesting stuff, to say the least! I just hope all the apps I use (which are (supposedly) compatible with High Sierra can handle APFS volumes. Again, one would think so.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 00:57 #8813

Hi. I was on the beta program on and off for years with hardly a problem. I had the developer Beta for 10.13.1 and it was working fine. The public release of 10.13.1 was now available.
I tried to update to public beta1 of 10.13.2 2 times. First time computer did not work at all and the screen had a circle with a slash. Tried several robots with the same result.
The second time after complete time machine backup the start up failed as it was loading start programs. I tries several reboots and watched as it crashed and then it restarted. I turned off one- drive and google sync. I did not try again. Now the software update wants to try again! By using a safe start I was able to revert to the public 10.13.1. I had the same problem on another computer and went back to 10.13.1. The release of 10.13.1 works fine with all the startup programs and all my other programs except TechTool Pro 9.X. I'm not happy about that. The Betas have been out for months. I used to be a beta tester for micromat many years ago when tech tool pro was first available.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 01:08 #8814

morris1,

If you review this entire thread, you will find that there are no programs in any way comparable to TechTool Pro that are compatible with High Sierra and APFS, and that APFS has yet to be properly documented by Apple at the developer level. I suspect that when Apple provides such documentation, Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket Software will mention in on his blog.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 01:19 #8815

BTW, Dave's newest SuperDuper! v. 3.0 (v100) is now good with APFS. Of course, it's not an industrial-strength fixit app, like TTP et al, but it's a big relief to at least have a reliable backup.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 01:24 #8816

If you read all of Dave Nanian's blog posts about the effort he had to make to provide support for APFS for a program that copies files from one volume to another, you can get some idea of the difficulty involved in making the diverse features of TechTool Pro work with APFS. "Copying files from one volume to another" turns out to be far more complex and subtle than the description suggests at first.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 04:45 #8817

morriss1 wrote:
Hi. I was on the beta program on and off for years with hardly a problem. I had the developer Beta for 10.13.1 and it was working fine. The public release of 10.13.1 was now available.
I tried to update to public beta1 of 10.13.2 2 times. First time computer did not work at all and the screen had a circle with a slash. Tried several robots with the same result.
The second time after complete time machine backup the start up failed as it was loading start programs. I tries several reboots and watched as it crashed and then it restarted. I turned off one- drive and google sync. I did not try again. Now the software update wants to try again! By using a safe start I was able to revert to the public 10.13.1. I had the same problem on another computer and went back to 10.13.1. The release of 10.13.1 works fine with all the startup programs and all my other programs except TechTool Pro 9.X. I'm not happy about that. The Betas have been out for months. I used to be a beta tester for micromat many years ago when tech tool pro was first available.

For me, besides waiting for an update to Tech Tool Pro, the Logitech Control Center Software for my Logitech Mice still needs to be upgraded for High Sierra compatibility. Quite a few folks are having issues with High Sierra and Logitech mice. I have opened two "tickets" with Logitech regarding this (one for each of my two different mice).

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 04:46 #8818

gbdoc wrote:
BTW, Dave's newest SuperDuper! v. 3.0 (v100) is now good with APFS. Of course, it's not an industrial-strength fixit app, like TTP et al, but it's a big relief to at least have a reliable backup.

Yes, I saw that right away when the new version came out on Tuesday, and that is one reason why I posted it here.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 04:48 #8819

micromattech3 wrote:
If you read all of Dave Nanian's blog posts about the effort he had to make to provide support for APFS for a program that copies files from one volume to another, you can get some idea of the difficulty involved in making the diverse features of TechTool Pro work with APFS. "Copying files from one volume to another" turns out to be far more complex and subtle than the description suggests at first.

Well stated! And it looks like Carbon Copy Cloner needed an update, V5.0.4, released earlier today, because of some issues with High Sierra. This link describes what that update entails:

bombich.com/kb/ccc5/release-notes

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 09:55 #8820

URGENT

After installing TechTool 9.53 update I found it impossible to create eDrive with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 ???
It says NO MAC OS available which means to me that you should make a new update compatible with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Thanks
Attachments:
macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 - MacBook Pro 17" November 2010

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Nov 2017 10:59 #8821

TechtRBH,

We have been working on this update for months.

TechTool Pro 9.5.3 is not compatible with High Sierra, and should not be used with it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 11 Nov 2017 00:38 #8822

From <<www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php...7&pid=28311#pid28311>>(be sure to continue reading follow-up comments) :

5 hours ago #28311 (746)

Ric Ford

I just stumbled upon this confirmation and explanation of an issue I'd encountered with High Sierra - a new delay during startup that I had not experienced with earlier OS X/macOS versions:

Cindori wrote:Apple File System Slow Boot on High Sierra

... The latest issue with APFS comes in the form of introducing an extra 15 seconds of booting time when Trim is enabled. It is currently believed that the filesystem is performing a routine Trim-related cleanup process during this time, which is causing boot times to increase for users who want their SSD’s to benefit from Trim.

Enabling Trim with Trim Enabler or Disk Sensei still works fine in High Sierra and will not introduce any other issues. It is still required to enable Trim to get the feature on third-party SSD’s in High Sierra. Trim is an important feature for Solid State Drive performance and longevity. Some users who want to enable Trim on High Sierra may notice an increase in boot time for now. I have opened a discussion with Apple developers about fixing the boot time issue in APFS. I am convinced this is an unintentional bug in APFS from Apple’s side that should be fixed in an upcoming version of High Sierra.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 11 Nov 2017 00:40 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 11 Nov 2017 02:41 #8823

Excuse me but this is too funnY:

" ...an extra 15 seconds of booting time... " Really... ???

I have HighSierra installed on a old fashioned Firewire HD ( one TB ) and also USB drive ( 2 TB ) and the startup seems to take forever and so an extra 15 means nothing.

Doesn't the size of the SSD affect the startup time ?

On the other hand, I do realize we live in a computer age of instant or at a blink of an eye result so i do understand those people who are upset when a start up takes an extra 15 or even more seconds.

Sorry Mister micromattech#3 for adding to your work of editing/approval so if you want to kill this posting it's OK with me.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 11 Nov 2017 11:45 #8824

I think the people who are observing the 15 seconds of extra boot time are more curious than upset.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 11 Nov 2017 19:06 #8831

micromattech3 wrote:
From <<www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php...7&pid=28311#pid28311>>(be sure to continue reading follow-up comments) :

5 hours ago #28311 (746)

Ric Ford

I just stumbled upon this confirmation and explanation of an issue I'd encountered with High Sierra - a new delay during startup that I had not experienced with earlier OS X/macOS versions:

Cindori wrote:Apple File System Slow Boot on High Sierra

... The latest issue with APFS comes in the form of introducing an extra 15 seconds of booting time when Trim is enabled. It is currently believed that the filesystem is performing a routine Trim-related cleanup process during this time, which is causing boot times to increase for users who want their SSD’s to benefit from Trim.

Enabling Trim with Trim Enabler or Disk Sensei still works fine in High Sierra and will not introduce any other issues. It is still required to enable Trim to get the feature on third-party SSD’s in High Sierra. Trim is an important feature for Solid State Drive performance and longevity. Some users who want to enable Trim on High Sierra may notice an increase in boot time for now. I have opened a discussion with Apple developers about fixing the boot time issue in APFS. I am convinced this is an unintentional bug in APFS from Apple’s side that should be fixed in an upcoming version of High Sierra.

Interesting, to say the least! I believe I saw yesterday in that link some discussions to the effect that possibly such slow downs (if there are any) are for SSDs that were not "original" ones supplied by Apple. MY mid 2013 13" MacBook has a "stock" 252 gig SSD (believe it is a "cloned" Samsung 840 EVO SSD), whereas my late 2012 MacMini has a 256 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD that I installed myself.

Can't get to that site right now (they are performing maintenance), but maybe later.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 11 Nov 2017 19:08 #8832

micromattech3 wrote:
I think the people who are observing the 15 seconds of extra boot time are more curious than upset.

I wonder about booting up from a SuperDuper! backup on an external SSD? I do have to say, though, that the connection is via USB 3.0. Not sure if a Thunderbolt connection would make much difference, but external cases with Thunderbolt ports are expensive.
Last Edit: 11 Nov 2017 20:04 by akent35.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 15 Nov 2017 06:13 #8835

Since I don't have a SSD and therefore High Sierra won't upgrade to APFS is it safe to use the latest TTPro?

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 15 Nov 2017 11:22 #8836

No, TechTool Pro 9.5.3 is not compatible with High Sierra.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 15 Nov 2017 19:43 #8843

kitmos wrote:
Since I don't have a SSD and therefore High Sierra won't upgrade to APFS is it safe to use the latest TTPro?

You really need to read all the posts above in this forum, and you will see that micromattech3 has stated on numerous occasions that the latest version of Tech Tool Pro is not compatible with High Sierra, Os 10.13.x.

Even if such a version was available (or you upgraded anyway), you can use OS 10.13.x with traditional HDDs.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 19 Nov 2017 19:45 #8849

If you are lucky enough to have a Carbon Copy Clone of the start up hard drive OS that is the earlier version and like me .. waited a month or two in upgrading the OS .. as some other applications are not supporting the older version yet .. while other applications are supporting the newer OS. But you really really want Tech Tool Pro to fix things that get muddle around ... and then every thing goes to heck. Then use your Carbon Copy clone start up disk of an earlier version of your OS and the Tech tool version that works.

I see Apple scooching the pooch all over the place now .. and my next purchase is a PC that has endless hardware upgradges but is also a cheaper piece of ka ka to own and operate. Apple as lost its shine with me and my iPhone when it no longer is iOS compatable I can always use it as an iPod that has wi-fi for my road tunes.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Nov 2017 02:07 #8856

Hello every one .... Happy Thanksgiving Day to you all.

Anyhow I used the High Sierra for about 3 days (3 startups) and without being able to use Techtool the Mac OS kept on slowing down, mouse jerk was exceptional in being almost useless and typing was hit or miss with lots of backspacing for corrections. So I saved my BACON !!!

I have Carbon Copy Cloner with the last saved bootable OS that i had in service which Tech Tool works on located on a thunderbolt hard drive .. and I got that MacOS 10.12.6 .... BACK .. whooo-hoooo .. I am in business now.

I don't know if you other guys are so lucky to have a quick back up to get you a fix like that .. and I do not know you can Command + R cold startup to do a recovery OS install from Apple ..for the older version of the OS and get you back to work.

Apple just seems to be going down hill in performance and destroying customer raport with this kind of unprofessional behaviour that I find odious, misplaced and a clear example of poor judgment. So much so they have lost me as a long time Apple customer. I now want to make enquiry at Sales if there is a PC version of Tech Tool when I get an unlimited hardware upgrade home computer.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Nov 2017 05:11 #8857

Alan Mac Farlane wrote:
Hello every one .... Happy Thanksgiving Day to you all.

Anyhow I used the High Sierra for about 3 days (3 startups) and without being able to use Techtool the Mac OS kept on slowing down, mouse jerk was exceptional in being almost useless and typing was hit or miss with lots of backspacing for corrections. So I saved my BACON !!!

I have Carbon Copy Cloner with the last saved bootable OS that i had in service which Tech Tool works on located on a thunderbolt hard drive .. and I got that MacOS 10.12.6 .... BACK .. whooo-hoooo .. I am in business now.

I don't know if you other guys are so lucky to have a quick back up to get you a fix like that .. and I do not know you can Command + R cold startup to do a recovery OS install from Apple ..for the older version of the OS and get you back to work.

Apple just seems to be going down hill in performance and destroying customer raport with this kind of unprofessional behaviour that I find odious, misplaced and a clear example of poor judgment. So much so they have lost me as a long time Apple customer. I now want to make enquiry at Sales if there is a PC version of Tech Tool when I get an unlimited hardware upgrade home computer.

Thanks for the report about High Sierra. Like you, I have SuperDuper!, and of course I will make a final backup of my OS 10.12.6 system for both of my Macs. As for Command + R, yeah, that is a way to recover, but nowhere near as fast or as efficient as from a SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner backup. Plus, with such backups, one has WAY more control over the recovery process. Additionally, depending on how you boot to that partition, you will get a different Mac OS.

I am curious, though, about the erratic mouse issues you had with Sierra. What brand of mouse are you using? I have been trying to get clear clarification from Logitech regarding my Logitech mice and High Sierra, but nothing definitive yet. Would appreciate some further information.

Oh, I am not upgrading yet, as I waiting for a High Sierra update for Tech Tool Pro. Even with that, I am definitely not feeling very comfortable with High Sierra. On another site I visit, a number of folks are reporting various issues with High Sierra. However, most of those folks are somewhat "rookies" to the Mac world, so I really don't know if their issues are that "genuine", in that they did not plan for the upgrade properly. As it is, if and when I "upgrade", I actually do an Erase and Re-Format of my internal SSD, then a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of the most current version of High Sierra at that time, and then, via Migration Assistant, "migrate"/copy all my needed stuff from that last OS 10.12.6 SuperDuper! backup.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Nov 2017 19:53 #8858

Hi Everyone!

When can we expect an update for TTP working with HS 10.13 ?

Thank-you !

Fabrice

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Nov 2017 19:54 #8859

There is no estimate for when the new version will be released.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Nov 2017 20:28 #8860

I for one am very pleased that Micromat is going through the testing of Tech Tool Pro so thoroughly. As it is, I continue to see issues that folks are having with High Sierra. For myself, even if I had the potential "issues" with my Logitech mice cleared up, and even if there was a High Sierra version of Tech Tool Pro available, I would still be hesitant to "upgrade/move" from Sierra, OS 10.12.6.

One other thing to remember is that there has been one upgrade to High Sierra already, OS 10.13.1, and from what I have read, V10.13.2 is in beta testing.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Nov 2017 22:09 #8861

By the way, regarding how long it's taking for Tech Tool Pro to have High Sierra compatibility, neither Disk Warrior nor Drive Genius are compatible yet either. Obviously the developers for all 3 of those products (ie, Tech Tool Pro, Drive Genius, and Disk Warrior) are encountering challenges/issues.

Again, I for one am pleased Micromat is being so, so thorough. And there is still no compelling reason to "upgrade" to High Sierra. The other day, I communicated with Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket Software (the company that develops SuperDuper!), and formatting external SSDs as APFS does not offer any speed benefits when booting SuperDuper! backups from such formatted devices.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Nov 2017 11:11 #8866

I have not had any problems with MacOS 10.13.1 High Sierra itself since updating both my iMac and my MacBook Pro, soon after release.

I have had no problems with my two Time Machine back ups, one to a local external drive and the other a remote NAS raid.
The only issues I have have had are that I have been unable to update my hard drive clone or eDrive using TechTool 9.5.3.

My TechTool history goes back over 10 years to TechTool 6. There is always a time lag between a significant new MacOS and a new TT Pro release, but I have confidence that the Micromat folks know what they are doing, and are doing it thoroughly.

Usual disclaimers. Just a happy customer

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Nov 2017 13:37 #8867

Thanks for your report about your experience with High Sierra, and your support and patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Nov 2017 13:56 #8868

Terry wrote:
I have had no problems with my two Time Machine back ups, one to a local external drive and the other a remote NAS raid.
The only issues I have have had are that I have been unable to update my hard drive clone or eDrive using TechTool 9.5.3

@ Terry -

This is OT, I know, but: I haven’t had a problem with HS, either, but my TM backups do have a big problem: the Mail backups don’t register the extra mailboxes I’ve created on my Mac. Do you have these, and, if so, are they visible, and can you restore them, or mails in them?

BTW, since you mention a clone problem, SuperDuper’s latest version has no problems with HS, and makes excellent and reliable clones.
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2017 16:54 by micromattech3. Reason: Added link to MacInTouch discussion by gbdoc

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Nov 2017 18:23 #8869

All this news about the stability of High Sierra is encouraging, but I am still waiting for the Tech Tool Pro update. Still nothing compelling in High Sierra that makes me want to upgrade.

That's excellent news about SuperDuper!, gbdoc. On another discussion site I visit, it seems to be the same for Carbon Copy Cloner. Both of them have had recent updates, SuperDuper! at V3.0.1, and Carbon Copy Cloner at V5.0.4.

By the way, as expected, SuperDuper! V3.0.1 still works flawlessly with Sierra, OS 10.12.6.
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2017 19:34 by akent35.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 29 Nov 2017 20:57 #8879

I know this might not be directly related to Tech Tool Pro, but I thought I'd post it anyway. Apparently there is/was a security issue with High Sierra, ie, OS 10.13.x. Someone could easily get access to a system running High Sierra by logging in as user "root" with no password needed! This link describes the issue:

www.macworld.com/article/3238868/macs/ma...ut-theres-a-fix.html

As the article states, earlier today Apple issued a permanent fix for this. It can be downloaded from here:

support.apple.com/kb/DL1940?locale=en_US

or one can follow the top of that article (click on "official fix") to do it the "lazy" way.

Myself, I always prefer to download the Security update myself (and save it, of course), in case I have to do a re-installation of the respective Mac OS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micromattech3

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 29 Nov 2017 23:40 #8880

Ric Ford at MacInTouch did some detailed and interesting experiments:

Apple Security
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017 23:40 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 01 Dec 2017 23:11 #8904

Terry wrote:

My TechTool history goes back over 10 years to TechTool 6. There is always a time lag between a significant new MacOS and a new TT Pro release, but I have confidence that the Micromat folks know what they are doing, and are doing it thoroughly.

Usual disclaimers. Just a happy customer

I also have a somewhat long "history" with Tech Tool Pro, at least as far back as Version 7. For these last 3 Mac OS releases, the upgrade for Tech Tool Pro has been arriving later and later. For El Capitan, it was about mid October 2015. For Sierra, it was about mid November 2016. For High Sierra, not yet.

Also, for both El Capitan and Sierra, by the time all my critical apps had the necessary updates (Tech Tool Pro was the last of each of those), I did not "upgrade" until the ".1" version of the OS was either already released (the case for Sierra), or was almost ready for release (case for El Capitan). For High Sierra, a ".2" release is almost ready, but from what I have read, there is nothing "dramatic" about that release.

Besides Tech Tool Pro, other products have also not had their upgrades immediately available. The one for me that I am distinctly aware of is Onyx, and with High Sierra, Titanium Software (the company that makes Onyx) has issued 3 subsequent updates to their initial High Sierra version. For both SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner, each of them have at at least 1 update since each of their initial High Sierra releases. Finally, as I have mentioned above, both Disk Warrior and Drive Genius (just like Tech Tool Pro) do not yet have releases for High Sierra compatibility.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 08 Dec 2017 21:49 #8918

Just curious if Micromat is testing Tech Tool Pro with the latest version of High Sierra, V10.13.2, that came out the other day. Other than some security "fixes" (including the infamous "root user" bug), I did not see anything earth shattering with that release.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 08 Dec 2017 22:44 #8919

TechTool Pro is always being tested with the developer releases and the public releases.

Here is an interesting article explaining in well-illustrated detail why it might be a bad idea to format a rotational hard drive with APFS if you use and edit large files:

Why You Might Not Want to Use APFS On HDDs, by Tim Standing, developer of SoftRAID. The beta administrator for TechTool Pro told me that Mr. Standing has been doing low-level file system work for over twenty-five years.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Dec 2017 20:58 #8920

Like others, I am waiting for the High Sierra update for Tech Tool Pro. It is the last of my third party applications that needs such an update before I upgrade.

However, I visit another site frequently throughout the day, and while "some" of those users are not too sophisticated, there have been so many reports of various issues with High Sierra. IN fact, in my experience, it has had the most number of issues I have seen in quite a file, for any new Mac OS release (and subsequent updates). So I'm wondering that even if Tech Tool Pro does release an High Sierra update, will it still be "ok" to upgrade?

Right now, I am happily running the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6, on both of my Macs, and given that I have not seen any compelling reason to upgrade to High Sierra, maybe it would be best to stay with Sierra. On that other site, the only benefit I have seen about the upgrade is that Office 2016 (and of course each of its apps) runs faster. I guess if I used all of Apple's apps (Safari, Spotlight, Pages, Notes, etc.), maybe things are "better". But I don't use any of Apple's apps (except the Finder, of course). Issues have ranged from Networking to VLC (even the newest version, V2.2.8, that came out the other day) not "directly" processing .flv files on a CD, with plenty of other things.

Additionally, in exchanges with Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket Software (they make SuperDuper!), formatting external SSDs as APFS (via High Sierra) offers no speed increase, especially in regards to SuperDuper!.

So, I wonder if other folks could "chime in" here, and relay their experiences (both positive and negative) with High Sierra. It would certainly be beneficial.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 10 Dec 2017 21:45 #8921

TechTool Pro 9.6.1 has been released. The upgrade is $20 for users of TechTool Pro 9 or 9.5. The upgrade has these features:

New In TechTool Pro 9.6

High Sierra and initial APFS compatibility

Apple is redefining how Macs use their disks. APFS, or Apple File System, is their new path forward. If you have upgraded, or plan to upgrade, to macOS High Sierra and have a solid state drive, your disk is going to get 'upgraded' to APFS. Be ready for APFS and macOS High Sierra with TechTool Pro 9.6 - it is the first third party Mac utility to offer APFS compatibility. And it has been fully tested to support High Sierra (macOS 10.13) as well. One extra upside to APFS drives: you don't need to start up from an eDrive to test them.

Trust us when we say that there is a lot going on with this new file system, so this is just *initial* support. Techtool Pro can now test and repair these disks, even eDrives on them, but we're still hard at work exploring the depths of this file system. Some more advanced features will be coming down the road.

NVMe Support

What's an NVMe, you ask? NVMe, like the SATA connection it replaces, is the phone line between your Mac and your disk. It's how your Mac can ask your drive if it thinks it's healthy. Micromat is the first company to translate this new connection, providing SMART health data from the drives in the latest Macs*. Not even Apple is providing this info yet.

*If your Mac is a MacBook from 2015 or later, a MacBook Pro from 2016 or later, or an iMac from 2016 or later and has a solid state drive, then it uses NVMe.

Internet speed tool

While many Mac utility 'apps' only perform a small subset of tasks, TechTool Pro strives to be your full suite of tests and tools. To that end, you can now test your internet connection speed without opening a web browser. Simply choose the Internet Speed tool to see the speed and signal quality of your internet connection.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: gbdoc
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds