Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 13 Sep 2017 00:03 #8552

I just saw this on www.macworld.com:

www.macworld.com/article/3199825/macs/ma...ecs-pricing-faq.html

Was wondering if we could obtain some kind of status as to compatibility of TechTool Pro V9.x with High Sierra, OS 10.13. For the last 2 Mac OS upgrades (OS 10.11, El Capitan, and OS 10.12, Sierra), TechTool compatibility was not available until after the initial release of each of them came out. In fact, for Sierra, TechTool did not have an upgrade available until about 2 months after OS 10.12 came out.

From my perspective, I see nothing "compelling" in High Sierra for me needing to immediately upgrade from Sierra, OS 10.12.6. But I always prefer to keep up to date. (Additionally, I have 4 other critical third party applications that have not been upgraded yet: Onyx, 1Password, SuperDuper!, and Logitech Control Center (for my Logitech mice)). Surprisingly, V15.35 of Office 2016 is compatible with High Sierra, and I have V15.37.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 13 Sep 2017 00:27 #8553

The developers are still examining the new APFS filesystem. It is not even fully documented by Apple. There is no way to know today all of the aspects of the next version of TechTool Pro that will do anything with the new filesystem. The next version will run under macOS 10.10.13 High Sierra. There is no way to know today when it will be released.

There is a new version of our free MacCheck utility , released today. It has volume structures and partition map tests that are compatible with APFS.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 13 Sep 2017 00:44 #8554

Thank you for that informative reply. I'm not surprised how "difficult" this upgrade will be, given the new File System. And it seems that to make matters worse, it is not fully documented yet!

I would not be surprised if a number of third party applications will not have updates "immediately" available. Also, one always hear that it is best to wait for either the ".1" or ".2" version of a new OS is released before upgrading.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 13 Sep 2017 00:48 #8555

You are welcome.

it is my understanding that some developers refuse to even start working on updates until the new system software is released to the public, because they do not want to waste time on something that can be made useless by changes between the last beta and the public release of the new system software.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 13 Sep 2017 01:42 #8556

The new version of MacCheck will be available in a few days, rather than today.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 13 Sep 2017 02:39 #8557

micromattech3 wrote:
You are welcome.

it is my understanding that some developers refuse to even start working on updates until the new system software is released to the public, because they do not want to waste time on something that can be made useless by changes between the last beta and the public release of the new system software.

I guess that could depend upon the application. But with this significant change with the file system, what you stated makes a lot of sense.

Again, appreciate your insights.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 13 Sep 2017 03:07 #8558

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 14 Sep 2017 15:45 #8563

The developer of Super Duper strongly recommends that you not immediately install High Sierra. His entire article is worth reading, and has more details about APFS than I have seen elsewhere:

www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/comments/news_on_the_march

Should I Update to High Sierra?
I think I usually tell people to "take it slow" with an entirely new OS version. While there have been "huge win" updates in the past (10.6 is a great example), High Sierra isn't one of those.

Rather, while it may be a good (or even great) update over time, it also has the potential to destabilize things far more than anything that's come before. It's going to be hard to judge its impact until its wide release, and even then, it'll be a while.

If you're a normal user, I would strongly encourage you to not update to High Sierra right away. Let others take the risk. Wait until things calm down and the initial problems, which are inevitable, are fixed. Continue doing what you've been doing before High Sierra: you're not missing anything of significance.

Apple's going to be OK if their "adoption graph" doesn't go straight up in the air.

After all, why should you be a statistic when you have work to do?

But I Want to Update Right Away
Don't.

I Insist on Updating Immediately!
Sigh. OK. But don't say you haven't been warned: we don't all float down here.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2017 15:48 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 14 Sep 2017 16:50 #8564

Thanks for that information. Given that I depend upon SuperDuper! (along with the other software I mentioned above), I of course will not be upgrading right away to High Sierra. There is nothing in High Sierra that is necessary for me to have. And again as I said above, only after all 6 of the products I mentioned are upgraded for High Sierra compatibility will I upgrade from Sierra, OS 10.12.6, to High Sierra, OS 10.13.x.

As you so correctly stated, let others take the risk, and wait until things calm down. That is always, always the smart thing to do with a Mac OS upgrade.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 14 Sep 2017 16:52 #8565

You are welcome, and I am pleased to see that you will not be an early adopter.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 19 Sep 2017 15:28 #8596

TTP 9.0.2 will not be compatible with High Sierra. ...Only TTP 9.5.x. Correct?
MBP i7 17 (Mid 2010) - 8GB RAM & 10.12.3. iPhone7 & iPad Air 2 WiFi

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 19 Sep 2017 15:43 #8598

Correct.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 16:17 #8603

thanks for that info, I don't want to update OS but know there will be a time I will have ... I use lots of old software and it was already hard to leave behind all the ones from my G4...that doesn't show a good futur

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 16:53 #8604

You are welcome.

I noticed this morning that a university is advising students, faculty, and staff to wait on the upgrade to High Sierra.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 17:49 #8608

micromattech3 wrote:
You are welcome.

I noticed this morning that a university is advising students, faculty, and staff to wait on the upgrade to High Sierra.

For a couple of real good reasons, look at these:

blog.macsales.com/42316-update-macos-hig...d-apfs-compatibility

eclecticlight.co/2017/09/15/high-sierra-...ed-on-fusion-drives/

Additionally, Drive Genius has released the newest version of their software, and it specifically for not permitting Drive Genius to run with OS 10.13 installed:

"Version 5.0.5:
Due to major changes in macOS 10.13, all current versions of Drive Genius are incompatible with the upcoming release. We are working hard on a new version to fully support 10.13, but in the meantime we are releasing 5.0.5 to disable Drive Genius on 10.13."

As it is, two critical apps I use, Onyx, and Tech Tool pro, have not been upgraded yet. And we all know why Tech Tool Pro is still in testing.

I wonder based on those links above, what effect this will have on disk utilities like Tech Tool Pro, Drive Genius, Disk Warrior, Onyx, etc. I am definitely not upgrading at this point.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 18:02 #8609

Thanks for posting the two links. The MacSales blog article has some interesting details about APFS and Boot Camp.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 18:59 #8610

micromattech3 wrote:
Thanks for posting the two links. The MacSales blog article has some interesting details about APFS and Boot Camp.

You are most welcome. I feel it os best to share such important information. Also, that move by the makers of Drive Genius tells you something also. I suspect Micromat is experiencing issues also with High Sierra. Any chance we can get an update about this Fusion Drive business? That does not affect me, as all my drives are Samsung SSDs (two internal and two external). But there could be other issues that MIcromat has encountered that could be problematic.

Again, given how much I depend upon Tech Tool pro (and Onyx) for my disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks, I just want to be as informed as possible.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 19:23 #8611

All I know about the Fusion Drive is that while it was supported by the beta versions of High Sierra, it will not be supported in the first public release. Apple has provided the beta testers with instructions for reverting back to HFS+, which involves reformatting the device and restoring the files from a backup.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 21:01 #8612

micromattech3 wrote:
All I know about the Fusion Drive is that while it was supported by the beta versions of High Sierra, it will not be supported in the first public release. Apple has provided the beta testers with instructions for reverting back to HFS+, which involves reformatting the device and restoring the files from a backup.

OK. it seems like given that all my drives are formatted as HFS+, I should be good to go, once the updates for Onyx, Tech Tool Pro, and the Logitech Control Center (for my Logitech mice) come out.

When I upgrade to High Sierra (at least V10.13.1, as things now stand), I will launch my Mac from its respective SuperDuper! backup (contains OS 10.12.6), use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal SSD as HFS+, do a clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.13.x, then use Migration Assistant (actually (I assume) the OS 10.13.x installer will offer me to use that process) to "migrate"/copy stuff from the backup, re-boot the machine, and if necessary, apply any High Sierra compatible updates at that time. That will the case, at least, for Onyx, as Titanium software makes a specific version of Onyx for each Mac OS.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 22 Sep 2017 21:38 #8613

One thing to keep in mind is that Migration Assistant imports Apple Mail accounts, but may not import the messages themselves. You may be prompted to import them the first time you launch mail, so it is a good idea to make sure that the backup used by Migration Assistant is still available.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 23 Sep 2017 02:46 #8614

micromattech3 wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that Migration Assistant imports Apple Mail accounts, but may not import the messages themselves. You may be prompted to import them the first time you launch mail, so it is a good idea to make sure that the backup used by Migration Assistant is still available.

Thanks for that information. Actually, when I get ready to upgrade, I will go through my normal weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repair, and backup tasks. That is, I run 1) Onyx, 2) Tech Tool Pro, and 3) SuperDuper!. The file "install macOS High Sierra" (or whatever it is called) will be on the machine I am using those tools on. Once that is done, I re-boot the machine from that just completed SuperDuper! backup, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal drive (SSD in my case), launch the file "Install macOS High Sierra" and perform a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of High Sierra, OS 10.13.x, and then via Migration Assistant, "migrate"/copy all my "stuff from the backup.

Also, I do not use Apple's Mail program, preferring Outlook 2016 (by the way, V15.35 of Office 2016 is already compatible with High Sierra. V15.38 came out last week, and I have already downloaded and installed the applicable "pieces" (ie, Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, and AutoUpdate). So, I should be good to go for Office 2016.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 23 Sep 2017 12:07 #8615

You are welcome, and it appears that you have a good plan for eventually upgrading.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 23 Sep 2017 14:42 #8616

micromattech3 wrote:
You are welcome, and it appears that you have a good plan for eventually upgrading.

I have actually followed those steps with the last two Mac OS upgrades, ie, from Yosemite to El Capitan, and then from El Capitan to Sierra. Having SuperDuper! bootable backups definitely makes the process smoother and straight forward. I even follow that script when "re-doing" a current Mac OS, that is, when Apple releases an upgrade within the current OS. I have done that twice with Sierra, and it worked flawlessly.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Sep 2017 14:32 #8631

mmt3, do I understand correctly the implication of what you say, namely, that running TTP 9.5.3 on High Sierra is currently considered unsafe, and not recommended - or, even stronger, should be avoided until further notice or update?

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Sep 2017 14:41 #8632

TechTool Pro 9.5.3 should not be used with macOS X High Sierra at all. It is not compatible with it. There will have to be an update to the program to make it run under High Sierra.

We have to examine the new APFS filesystem to make sure that any differences between what was in the public beta and what is in the version released yesterday have been found.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: gbdoc

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Sep 2017 14:43 #8633

Gotcha, thanks!

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Sep 2017 14:49 #8634

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 27 Sep 2017 21:11 #8647

This is a drag as I have already upgraded to 10.13 and bought TechTool Pro 9.5 on September 1.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 27 Sep 2017 21:46 #8649

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator. I have deleted your duplicate postings.

No claim was made that TechTool Pro 9.5.3 was compatible with High Sierra.

The upgrade to High Sierra is not something to be done soon or lightly:

From <<www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php...7&pid=25673#pid25673>> :

mbellon
A word of caution for those who have a MacPro 2013 ("Trash can") with an OWC Aura SSD. There is a known problem where the 10.13 installer will trash both the data partition and the recovery partition, requiring a complete reinstall and restore from backup.

Speaking with OWC, they say that they are working with Apple on the issue. Until then, don't try to install 10.13 until OWC says which dot release of 10.13 is OK - or for those not faint of heart:

1) Make a bootable clone of your Aura SSD that includes a recovery partition.
2) Install the Apple SSD.
3) Boot from recovery partition.
4) Install 10.12.x in the Apple SSD.
5) Boot the Apple SSD.
6) Upgrade to 10.13.
7) Reinstall the Aura.
8) Restore the Aura SSD from the bootable clone.
9) Upgrade to 10.13

Apparently there is a firmware upgrade that 10.13 installed, and it causes the problems if there is a non-Apple SSD present. Once the firmware is upgraded, the installer doesn't cause any problems.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Sep 2017 00:07 #8650

While I can understand your disappointment, be patient. You made a good buy with TTP, and it's surely be compatible with High Sierra sooner (I hope) or later, and then you'll be happy. If it's any consolation, AFAIK none of the other serious fixit apps are compatible, either; APFS is a whole 'nother ballgame for everybody.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Sep 2017 01:11 #8651

Thank you, gbdoc.

Here are some interesting details about the whole n'other ballgame, from Dave Nanian:

Cheat Sheet
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Sep 2017 16:12 #8652

As of now, Apple is only applying AFS to SSD, so standard hard drive and Fusion hard drives are not being upgrading with High Sierra.

Make an update 9.5.4 and specify that it is not compatible with SSD systems at this time, just like Apple said that they are not implementing AFS with High sieraa except on built in SSD systems!

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 28 Sep 2017 16:45 #8653

That is an interesting plan, but it is my impression that most of the work that needs to be done on the next update is not so much to make it run under High Sierra, but to make it compatible with APFS. Putting out a new version that requires constantly reminding people that it does not support APFS is, in my opinion, not practicable.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 01 Oct 2017 05:56 #8658

Glad that there was a specific TechToolPro 9.5.3 installer because version 9.5.1 would not update itself in High Sierra. Version 9.5.1 claimed to have downloaded the update and when i punched it to update and relaunch nothing happened.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 01 Oct 2017 09:36 #8659

TechTool Pro 9.5.3 is not compatible with High Sierra.

Release notes:

Changes:
• Fixed incorrect processor speed reporting for Macs running higher than 4 GHz.
• Updated manufacturer database for the Local Network tool.
• Updated French, German, Italian, Japanese and Chinese (Simplified) localizations.
• Updated location and computer identification strings for Check Computer.
• Other enhancements and improvements.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 01 Oct 2017 10:22 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 02 Oct 2017 17:41 #8663

micromattech3 wrote:
TechTool Pro 9.5.3 is not compatible with High Sierra..

Although I understand your advice it seems my other utilities DiskWarrior 5 and Cocktail ( High Sierra edition ) include the same features as TTPro 9.5.3 and there is no warnings from those developers.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 02 Oct 2017 21:56 #8664

Interesting. I did not know that Alsoft had a new release.

TechTool Pro is significantly more complex than either of the two programs you mentioned. Dave Nanian still points out that APFS is not fully documented. There is no APFS counterpart to TN1150.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 02 Oct 2017 22:32 #8666

That's not quite true. DW doesn't have a new release, and they say 5.0 is compatible with HS, but they also say "Apple File System (APFS) disks are not recognized by DiskWarrior 5.0 and will not appear in the list of disks." When HS is installed on an SSD, the default file system is APFS, so DW won't work on those (like mine).

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 02 Oct 2017 22:47 #8667

Thank you. I assumed that providing any kind of support for High Sierra would have required an update. I was looking at the text at the bottom of their main page.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 25 Oct 2017 20:01 #8700

I can definitely understand the difficulties involved in trying to arrive at a version of Tech Tool pro that is compatible with High Sierra. As it is, it looks like Disk Warrior is not fully compatible with High Sierra, and SuperDuper! (I depend on it!) is "kind of" compatible. Also, Titanium Software initially released a version of Onyx, V3.3.5, for High Sierra compatibility a few weeks ago (they are one of the few vendors that has specific versions of that product available for each Mac OS. Subsequently, they have released 3 updates to fix bugs, and it is now up to version 3.3.8.

Myself, I have never seen any compelling reason to upgrade to High Sierra immediately (in fact, it was the same for El Capitan and Sierra). Sierra (V10.12.6) is working fine.

IN any event, keep up the good work!

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 25 Oct 2017 20:06 #8701

Thanks for your observations and your kind comment about our work.

You have reminded me that I should check Dave Nanian's blog to see if he has any more comments about APFS.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 25 Oct 2017 22:36 #8702

I have taken a somewhat different approach and attitude towards using 3rd party software such as Micromat for maintenance of Apple's High Sierra.

My friend does not use any 3rd party software such as Micromat, DiskWarrior, Titanium . She just uses Apple's Disk Utility to run the First Aid on High Sierra plus the " combo " High Sierra update.

My extra step is to do a back up albeit not using Apple's Time Machine.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 25 Oct 2017 23:02 #8703

The feature set in TechTool Pro is in no way duplicated by what Apple provides in Disk Utility. Apple's Disk Utility simply ignores any SMART test attributes that, in my opinion, require the user to think or to ask questions.

People who rely only on Time Machine need to read this highly-informative if impolitely-titled TidBITS classic:

11 Stupid Backup Strategies

People who do not use Time Machine also need to read the same article.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2017 23:02 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Oct 2017 00:01 #8704

Thank you for the feedback. You obviously have more inside knowledge since you are in the business. I truly appreciate the information.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Oct 2017 00:09 #8705

You are welcome, and thanks for your supportive comment.

I have had several of the problems mentioned in Joe Kissell's TidBITS article arise on my own iMac.

My Time Machine backup has become corrupted, rendering it useless. My clone backup, which retains no older versions of files, has overwritten a good, old version of a file with a newer, corrupted version of a file (an essential Yojimbo database). Fortunately, these events were separated by months in time. The clone saved me when Time Machine failed, and Time Machine saved me when the updated clone contained only a corrupted file.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Oct 2017 00:10 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Oct 2017 04:22 #8706

Walter wrote:
I have taken a somewhat different approach and attitude towards using 3rd party software such as Micromat for maintenance of Apple's High Sierra.

My friend does not use any 3rd party software such as Micromat, DiskWarrior, Titanium . She just uses Apple's Disk Utility to run the First Aid on High Sierra plus the " combo " High Sierra update.

My extra step is to do a back up albeit not using Apple's Time Machine.

Disk Utility is "OK", but it plays second fiddle for disk maintenance/repairs to either Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior. Tech Tool Pro is nice, because it has so many useful features.

And yes, Time Machine is not that great. I am a true believer in SuperDuper!. It creates a bootable backup/clone, and it is just about like having another computer! It makes both recovery and a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of the Mac OS a breeze.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Oct 2017 04:33 #8707

micromattech3 wrote:
The feature set in TechTool Pro is in no way duplicated by what Apple provides in Disk Utility. Apple's Disk Utility simply ignores any SMART test attributes that, in my opinion, require the user to think or to ask questions.

People who rely only on Time Machine need to read this highly-informative if impolitely-titled TidBITS classic:

11 Stupid Backup Strategies

People who do not use Time Machine also need to read the same article.

Could not agree more!

However, in regards to the link posted about backups, a lot of it is out of date. First, both SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner provide a means for doing incremental backups. Secondly, backing up to an internal drive/partition on one's Mac is really dumb! The preferred way (and I believe, what most folks do) is to backup to an external device. Myself I have two external Samsung 512 gig 850 Pro SSDs, each in a nice, slim Orico enclosure, that I use for backups. (I have ALWAYS had external devices for backups).

As for not using Time Machine but another product (like SuperDuper!), each individual has their own circumstances. For my purposes, backing up once a week with SuperDuper! for each of my Macs is really enough. If a "disaster" does strike, the most critical (and just about impossible to recover) loss would be EMails. But given that I am retired, I really do not receive very much in terms to critical stuff. I also do a lot of disk cleanup on my own, on a daily basis, and also use Onyx and Tech Tool pro for more extensive disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Oct 2017 04:38 #8708

micromattech3 wrote:
You are welcome, and thanks for your supportive comment.

I have had several of the problems mentioned in Joe Kissell's TidBITS article arise on my own iMac.

My Time Machine backup has become corrupted, rendering it useless. My clone backup, which retains no older versions of files, has overwritten a good, old version of a file with a newer, corrupted version of a file (an essential Yojimbo database). Fortunately, these events were separated by months in time. The clone saved me when Time Machine failed, and Time Machine saved me when the updated clone contained only a corrupted file.

Another excellent reason to avoid High Sierra (for now).

It always baffles me why some folks upgrade to a new OS right away, especially when there is nothing "critical/must have" in the new OS. For myself, that is the exact situation with High Sierra. Yes, I will upgrade eventually, but ONLY after 1) Tech Tool pro and SuperDuper! are completely compatible with High Sierra, and 2) Appel releases at least one more update. From what I have read, the soon-to-be-released OS 10.13.1 update contains little, if anything, substantial regarding the repair of bugs.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Oct 2017 10:22 #8709

I think Joe Kissell's book about backups is more recent than his TidBITS article to which I linked.

That is a good point about the backup utilities being able to preserve older versions of files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Oct 2017 10:30 by micromattech3.

TechTool Pro 9.x and High Sierra, OS 10.13 26 Oct 2017 11:19 #8710

All these caveats are surely appropriate, and average-user’s data can probably never be absolutely secure, but my real-world experience has been fine, using this method: with two machines, my wife’s and mine, I’ve been making bootable clones about once a week on an external drive for as long as SuperDuper has been around, and have been using TimeMachine as well, since it was introduced (WiFi Time Capsule). About once a week I enter TimeMachine just to see what shape it’s in, and yes, I have occasionally found it was corrupted (but that hasn’t happened for quite some time now; perhaps the technology’s better). Result: since I’ve been doing this, I’ve NEVER irretrievably lost a file, old or new. (I also try to keep things generally in shape with OnyX, TTP, and Disk Warrior.)

Also FYI: the newest SuperDuper is now fine with APFS.
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds