Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Update V8 eDrive to V9 without delete/recreate?

Update V8 eDrive to V9 without delete/recreate? 02 Sep 2017 17:39 #8530

I have a perfectly fine V8 eDrive, on a relatively full SSD. I'd rather not delete and re-create it, given that it is contiguous now.

Is there a way to simply update the files on it to TTP V9.5 (and the OS files)? This would seem to be a relatively simple script, taking from a working TTP installation on the same drive.

Thanks for your help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Update V8 eDrive to V9 without delete/recreate? 02 Sep 2017 18:28 #8531

You are welcome.

There is no way to update the system software on the eDrive without removing the present eDrive and creating a new one.

As long as the system software on the eDrive is between Mac OS X 10.8 and macOS Sierra 10.12, it is compatible with TechTool Pro 9.5.2. There is really no reason to upgrade the system software on the eDrive, provided it has current security updates. Because the system software on the eDrive is a subset of a full installation, it cannot be updated by running an updater or using Software Update or the Apple App Store.

You can replace the copy of TechTool Pro 8 on the eDrive by booting from the eDrive, quitting TechTool Pro 8 without restarting, copying the TechTool Pro 9.5.2 installer to the eDrive, and then running the TechTool Pro 9.5.2 installer. The installer should remove the installation of TechTool Pro 8 automatically.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2017 10:16 by micromattech3.

Update V8 eDrive to V9 without delete/recreate? 04 Sep 2017 02:54 #8532

Thanks! This worked just fine. My eDrive is reasonably recent, 10.11.3, so I just did as you said and now I have TTP V9 running on the eDrive without the hassle and time of re-creating it.

I had also installed several other utilities and text files with serial numbers, etc on the eDrive, adding to the hassle of re-creating it.

I disconnect from the Internet when running TTP anyway, so not worried about not having the latest security updates. If I need a file can always download on another box and transfer via USB.

Thanks for the time-saving tip and your speedy response!

Update V8 eDrive to V9 without delete/recreate? 04 Sep 2017 10:16 #8533

You are welcome, and thanks for mentioning your strategy of disconnecting from the Internet when running TechTool Pro.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds