Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Finder crashing and restarting in eDrive first time after creation

Finder crashing and restarting in eDrive first time after creation 10 Aug 2017 21:45 #8492

Apologies if this has been posted, previously:

I upgraded wife's MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) from Yosemite to Sierra 10.12.6 of course the TTP8 squawked, but I ignored it so I could erase the old eDrive.
After doing the upgrade to TTP9.5.1 (3131) i created an eDrive.
When I restarted to the eDrive, it immediately started throwing errors for Finder unexpectedly Quit. Of course OS X always tries to restart Finder.
I thought something glitched in eDrive creation, so I removed it and created it again. No luck, Finder crashed when booting to eDrive.

I managed to copy the details of the crash report to TextEdit file and email it to myself on MY MacBook Pro that I have successfully upgraded TTP8 to TTP9.5.1 (3131). Then I rebooted her MacBook Pro back to the regular HD.

In the details of the Crash Report was this:
Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore: file too short

I looked at Volumes/eDrive/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore on her eDrive and it was zero bytes.

I looked at it on my eDrive and it was 62.6MB, Hmm?

So I deleted the one on her MacBook eDrive and copied it from mine to a jump drive and then to the same folder on her MacBook, to see if that fixed the problem.

Shut everything down and rebooted to eDrive on her MacBook and voile! Finder came up with no problem. Not sure why there was no issues on my MacBook but problem occurred on hers. Main difference between the 2 Mac Books is that mine has SSD drive and hers has regular SATA HD. That and mine is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) and hers is MacBook Pro (13-inc, Mid 2010).

I am attaching the dump file for anyone to peruse.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 11 Aug 2017 17:42 by tomtoolman. Reason: correction.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Finder crashing and restarting in eDrive first time after creation 10 Aug 2017 21:52 #8493

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

I would appreciate it if you would send your report to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread, in case additional information, such as an Apple System Information report, would be helpful in our attempting to reproduce the problem of the file not being copied properly. Thank you.

I have to say that having read many thousands of postings online, yours is one of the best pieces of troubleshooting I have ever seen. Zero bytes always loses a contest with 62.6 MB.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Finder crashing and restarting in eDrive first time after creation 11 Aug 2017 17:41 #8494

Thanks. I was in IT for 40+ years. Most of that time I was on call supporting applications and had to troubleshoot and document any failures/corrective actions.

One thing I forgot. After the first eDrive creation failed and I removed it, I ran a surface scan to check for any bad places on the HD. None were found.

Finder crashing and restarting in eDrive first time after creation 11 Aug 2017 18:13 #8495

You are welcome.

A day later, I am still delighted at how you examined the problem.

It was a good idea to run the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks. If the failure had not been narrowed down to an empty file, it would have been prudent to check the disk directory of the eDrive for disk directory errors.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Finder crashing and restarting in eDrive first time after creation 11 Aug 2017 19:25 #8496

The beta administrator for TechTool Pro suspects that the problem may be caused by some subtle corruption in the installation of Sierra 10.12.6 on your wife's MacBook Pro. If you have a Recovery HD volume, it is not difficult to boot from it and reinstall the system software.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds