Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Rebuild fails precheck

Volume Rebuild fails precheck 29 Jul 2017 04:07 #8478

Hello. I'm using TTP 9.5.1 to attempt to mount my internal drive. I am running it off a bootable backup. The drive has two partitions: the Mac volume and a BootCamp volume. The BootCamp volume mounts fine. The other shows up as "--" in Disk Utility.

When I run TTP, the Volume Rebuild test and tool both state that the precheck failed. Is there any other way to get this volume to mount? I just want to copy some files off of it before I try reformatting the whole thing. I would try the Data Recovery, but it doesn't seem to work at all (it completes within just a few seconds and shows no files, even for searches that should have something). Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Rebuild fails precheck 29 Jul 2017 10:48 #8479

I assume you mean that both the Volume Structures test and the Volume Rebuild Tool show a failure in the precheck.

The only suggestion I can make is to restart, and then run the Partition Map tool in TechTool Pro, in case damage to the partition map is preventing the volume from mounting. Other than than, I appears to me that Apple has made it increasingly difficult to mount a volume with serious damage, because to mount a volume is to make it available for normal reading and writing. To write to a volume with serious directory damage might make the damage worse, and make data recovery by a data recovery firm more difficult.

If you run Disk Utility, does it allow you to verify the volume? If so, what diagnosis does it give?
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Rebuild fails precheck 29 Jul 2017 11:08 #8480

If you do not mind using the command line interface in Terminal, Apple has some instructions for using fsck_hfs. See this article:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176

and then scroll down to Option 3 (Advanced)

If you have not used Terminal before, this may seem difficult, but it is really not, if you follow the instructions slowly and carefully. In your case, when you use the df command, you are not looking for the identifier for your startup volume, but for the one that is not mounting. If it appears in the output of the df command, you should be able to see which volume it is by comparing the sizes of the volumes. Apple refers to the identifier as the Filesystem ID, for example, /dev/disk0s5.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Rebuild fails precheck 29 Jul 2017 14:14 #8481

If you decide to reformat the volume, I suggest you run the Surface Scan test first to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks. Such blocks could be the reason why the current volume header or disk directory is partially or totally unreadable.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Rebuild fails precheck 29 Jul 2017 19:31 #8482

I had the same issue and a friend used other software that rebuild the volume with out Problem after 3 minutes . I think that TTP can not rebuild the volume yet .
I hope in a next version this tool can repair and rebuild volumes,
I created a 32GB USB TTP using TechToll Protogo and the rebuild option didn't work.
Regards

Volume Rebuild fails precheck 29 Jul 2017 20:33 #8483

Cases in which TechTool Pro cannot rebuild a disk directory are rare. There are cases in which TechTool Pro can rebuild a disk directory that other utilities cannot. There are probably some cases that only one particular utility can fix, because someone mailed a drive to the developer, who made multiple bit-for-bit copies of the volume, and then the developer created an algorithm that solved the problem.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds