Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release?

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 22 May 2017 17:24 #8229

Really?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gregneg, dme49r@yahoo.com

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 22 May 2017 17:45 #8230

The Data Recovery feature was completely rewritten. There is a description of the new features and improvements at www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 22 May 2017 18:30 #8231

This is NOT ok! We have been waiting for updates for version 9 for a halfyear and now you are offering a paid upgrade??? NO!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: willieoconnor, klaubrueck

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 May 2017 05:16 #8236

I also am dissappointed about Micromat charging 20 USD for an update of a product I bought in february 2017.

Not fair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dme49r@yahoo.com

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 May 2017 07:25 #8237

I only upgraded to Version 9 in march and now I have to buy a further upgrade from 9.03 to 9.5? no thanks...

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 May 2017 15:07 #8239

Less than 4 months after paying $40 to upgrade and now they want another $20? Not likely. Just give me the bug fixes in a smaller patch.

Erich

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 May 2017 15:23 #8240

I paid for the upgrade and 9.5.1 fails to install.
I know of one other person who had what sounds like the same issue.
My advice is to not purchase this upgrade as long as it is 9.5.1.
I will think long and hard before I upgrade again.
BTW, I have owned virtually every product Micromat has published since MacWorld Boston 1992.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 May 2017 15:25 #8241

Unfortunately, yours is not the same problem as the one reported earlier by fdastoor. His dmg file would not mount. Your installation failed. Please see my reply in your other thread.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 May 2017 16:35 #8248

My apologies as I am having a different issue.

To amend my previous comments re Micromat I would like to say that I have been impressed with Micromattech3's very helpful assistance outside of their normal office hours.
While I had installer failure reported it did indeed succeed on installing 9.5.1 in my applications folder.
What caused the failure issue remains a mystery.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 May 2017 16:49 #8255

Thank you for acknowledging the work done in these forums.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 24 May 2017 04:50 #8261

I just paid for my upgrade to Version 9 last month! I would have waited had I known THIS 9.5 upgrade was coming out!
And pay again now?!?
New data recovery in 9.5 notwithstanding, you guys at Micromat should upgrade me for free!

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 25 May 2017 11:22 #8276

The whole update is badly managed.

No mention of how the update is obtained in the Update Window in the TTPro 9 App.

Go the website and can't find a Download Button, I already own v9 so am not clicking the buy button.

Not very impressed by this lack of information on how to Upgrade.

Geoff

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 25 May 2017 12:51 #8277

If you use the Check for Update feature within the TechTool Pro application, you are informed that the update exists.

The update itself is in the store, because it is a paid update:

www.micromat.com/store
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 25 May 2017 15:42 #8281

I agree. Less than a year ago I paid to upgrade to version 9. Now 9 months later another 1/2 upgrade for another $20. The upgrade I paid to 8 lasted over a year before 9 came out. The cycle is getting shorter and shorter with constant requests for upgrade fees.

I'm a bit disappointed.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 25 May 2017 15:47 #8282

This upgrade costs half of the usual fee and has about half of the usual new features and improvements to old features.

We felt is was worth releasing this update as TechTool Pro 9.5.1 because the improved file recovery (which took months of work, and is both conceptually improved and written with modern APIs that will survive the next Apple system software release) would benefit people who need to recover files. Some people also wanted the other new features, and they were ready.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 25 May 2017 20:32 #8284

I have been a Tech Tool customer from the beginning.

After the last debacle with the misinformation deceptively omitted on version 9 compatibility w/Sierra.
Plus the nickel & diming for another supposed update.
I'm done with Tech tool & Micromat. Keep your update.

My version 9 protection panel still doesn't work.

It's become a useless program in my opinion.

Thanks for the memories, JDF III

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 25 May 2017 21:21 #8286

Did you send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as I asked you to on February 27, 2017, in your thread TTP 9.0.2 Protection panel?
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 May 2017 21:21 by micromattech3.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 26 May 2017 05:48 #8288

micromattech3 wrote:
This upgrade costs half of the usual fee and has about half of the usual new features and improvements to old features.

We felt is was worth releasing this update as TechTool Pro 9.5.1 because the improved file recovery (which took months of work, and is both conceptually improved and written with modern APIs that will survive the next Apple system software release) would benefit people who need to recover files. Some people also wanted the other new features, and they were ready.

Also very disappointed that this is labelled as a paid upgrade.

I only purchased the upgrade to v9 in April i.e. last month.

The Micromat stance that the new features took months of work (which I am sure they did) justifies a chargeable upgrade does not align with the upgrade price from v8 now being lower than it was before!

The upgrade price in April and now again to 9.5.x means that I would pay 3x as much than I would if I had waited a month. How is that an incentive to support the product?

The number of fixes listed in the release notes also indicate that this should be an update not an upgrade - fixing issues labelled as working properly in the v9.0.x and charging for this is simply not fair. e.g.
• Fixed SMART Check crash when SAT SMART Driver 0.10 is installed.
• Fixed inconsistent reporting by Power On Self-Test.

Micromat - not the nicest way you treat your customers.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 26 May 2017 10:05 #8291

The charge is for new features and improvements to old features, not bug fixes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 26 May 2017 20:34 #8308

So, if we fork over the $20.00, will the release be compatible with the upcoming 10.13 release and subsequent Public Beta releases probably starting in July if history is any indicator? I'm usually a Beta Tester...

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 26 May 2017 21:29 #8310

There is no way to know now what compatibility with OS X 10.13 will involve in terms of software development.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 27 May 2017 04:38 #8311

Why let people pay 32 dollars in march 2017 for un upgrade to Techtool Pro 9 and less then 2 months after upgrading people had to pay a fee again for an upgrade to Techtool Pro 9.5. Is that fair. I don't think so. You know for sure that in a short period there be a upgrade, but nevertheless you didn't inform the buyers about the new upgrade. Shame on you. This is not the way to handle customers.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 27 May 2017 08:20 #8312

I think you are a thief. We all have had very patience for more than six months waiting for an update to get compatibility with Sierra in 9.0. We paid for a software that worked very badly for months. And now we have to pay one more time! Let me laught because when Apple wil release the 10.13 I´m sure that we have the same story.

I'm not going to buy any new version of TTP nor recomend your company any more.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 28 May 2017 09:23 #8317

Well, I have to add my dismay to that already expressed and to tell you that not only will I not pay again for this upgrade but I will no longer buy ANY further Micromat products. In my opinion you treat your customer-base disgracefully.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 29 May 2017 15:36 #8328

Yes, I contacted help, and we went back and forth for weeks.
The problem was never solved, and was given up on by your help team.

Therefore I have given up on Techtool.
JDF III

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 29 May 2017 15:57 #8329

Thanks for the efforts you made in the investigation of the problem. It is extremely rare for us to be unable to reproduce and eventually fix a problem.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 30 May 2017 18:45 #8331

Customers who purchased TechTool Pro 9.0.2 on or after April 17, 2017 have had a TechTool Pro 9.5 serial number and download link added to their Available Downloads, at the bottom of their My Account page, linked in the upper left corner of the forums page.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 30 May 2017 18:46 #8332

Anyone who has a question about sales is asked to contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. directly, rather than posting to the tech support forums. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 01 Jun 2017 06:55 #8335

not good enough for me as I bought it in march... You have lost a customer. and i'll use what influence I have to make sure nobody here purchases your products here

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 14 Jun 2017 01:55 #8371

Not happy with the .5 paid upgrade policy. You clearly don't regard the work you've done on data recovery worthy of release as a major upgrade. Therefore, it's not worthy of an upgrade charge.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 Jun 2017 11:44 #8394

I am in the same position. Couldn't believe the "rap" sales dept gave me when I asked for a free upgrade since i had upgraded just 2 months earlier. There is no excuse to treat your customers this way. Unfortunately there are few alternatives out there, although I will now start looking in more earnest. One of the surprising things was the admission that they plan on providing a paying upgrade every year.... Been using TTP for MANY years, even when it was rather buggy, but this marketing change is not good, so time to move on. Any of you have suggestions?

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 Jun 2017 12:40 #8397

I will not approve postings that are essentially advertisements for our competitors.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 Jun 2017 14:59 #8398

For me I'll be public beta testing on High Sierra due out pretty soon. So any upgrade at this point would be kind of a moot point.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 23 Jun 2017 16:05 #8401

I am agreement with previous commenters. I purchased 9.0.2 five months ago plus the extra for a DVD, and now they want another $20. Not good business. Looking for alternatives.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 29 Nov 2017 03:57 #8871

So I paid $39.99 on 20th April to upgrade to 9.0.2 and because of 10 days until the beginning of May you feel you have to charge me $20? Look at my account, see how much money I have given you over the years. Is this the way you want to treat your loyal customers? I find this appalling customer service and lets face it, who uses the data recovery function anyhow? With time machine backups and clones it really is a redundant feature IMO
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017 12:29 by mackme.

A 20 dollar upgrade fee for a dot release? 29 Nov 2017 04:45 #8873

People do in fact use the Data Recovery feature. Time Machine volumes have extremely complex disk directories, and can become corrupted over time. A clone may not yet have been updated with the latest changes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds