Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop

TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop 19 Apr 2017 17:05 #8160

Hi, I've got a MBPro with a 512Gb SSD drive, which I've got operating in Target Disk mode to try to recover data from before returning to Apple Store for repair to the SSD. The Volume Cloning tool doesn't change the main panel's option when selected, it just stays on eDrive or Volume Rebuild or whatever the last panel activated was. Then the Volume Rebuild option lists two volumes as Macintosh HD but says they are both startup volumes, and I'm not sure if it's picking up the fusion drive in my iMac or the combined iMac drive and the target disk MBPro.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop 19 Apr 2017 17:29 #8161

I suggest you quit the program, relaunch it, and then immediately go to the Volume Cloning panel.

As for distinguishing the two instances of Macintosh HD in the Volume Rebuild panel, hold the mouse pointer over the text "Macintosh HD" until some Tool Tip data appears. It might take a few seconds. You will see a description of the volume that includes its exact size, what kind of bus it is on, and what its mountpoint is. The active startup volume is always mounted on /, and the other volumes will have mountpoint paths that begin with /Volumes.

If you open Terminal, located in /Applications/Utilities, and then type

df

and press the Return key, you see a list of volumes and their current mountpoints. The mountpoints can change after a restart or reboot, but the active startup volume is always mounted on /.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop 19 Apr 2017 17:56 #8162

Here is a sample of the output of the df command in Terminal:

Open Terminal, located in /Applications/Utilities. Type:

df

Press the Return key.

You see a list of all mounted volumes:
MMT3siMacMid2010:~ MMT3$ df
Filesystem 512-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 1951845952 218993392 1732340560 12% /
devfs 378 378 0 100% /dev
map -hosts 0 0 0 100% /net
map auto_home 0 0 0 100% /home
/dev/disk2s2 976101344 287567440 688533904 30% /Volumes/H_G_Wells
/dev/disk1s2 951140392 201320600 749819792 22% /Volumes/Super_Duper_Clone
MMT3siMacMid2010:~ MMT3$

The active startup volume is described on the first line of the output. Its name does not appear, and the mountpoint is /. For the other volumes, the BSD identifier (such as /dev/disk2s2) is shown, and the mountpoint gives the name as it appears in the Finder (such as H_G_Wells), at the end of the line.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Apr 2017 17:59 by micromattech3.

TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop 20 Apr 2017 09:11 #8163

I've restarted both the machine and TTP9. The same situation occurs. Three disks are seen, two of which are the fusion drive on the internal bus (1Tb HDD SATA & 24Gb SSD PCIe). The external device can be seen in partition map check tool alongside the two internals. The volume structures check only sees the two internal disks, both mounted as Macintosh HD.The File Structures check sees a 1Tb internal disk and a 249Gb external SSD.
Volume cloning tool doesn't change the configuration panel when selected.

TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop 20 Apr 2017 10:30 #8164

It is nearly impossible to take a screen capture of how Tool Tip works, because the data goes away when the Command Shift Capslock 4 key combination is used. If you hold the mouse pointer over the name of the volume in the Volume Rebuild panel, and wait a few seconds, you will see a box with data such as:

/Volumes/H_G_Wells
disk2s2
4TB
External Firewire

Try reinstalling TechTool Pro, to see if that solves the problem with the volume cloning tool. If it does not, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some additional information. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop 20 Apr 2017 10:37 #8165

I found an old screen capture of ToolTip showing the description of a device in the Surface Scan window. It looks much the same but with different data for a volume in Volume Rebuild, but at least it shows what ToolTip looks like:
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP9 Volume Cloning and Volume Rebuild not working for Target Disk laptop 20 Apr 2017 23:15 #8166

By using this Terminal command, I was able to make a screen capture showing the ToolTip in the Volume Rebuild window:

screencapture -T 5 -C ~/Desktop/screencapture.png

The "5" specifies a 5 second delay between the pressing of the Return key in the Terminal window and the creation of the screen capture. During that 5 seconds, the user must make the ToolTip window appear. Repeated use of the command results in the output of the last use overwriting the output of the preceding use (a file named "screen capture.png").
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 20 Apr 2017 23:22 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds