Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 26 Jan 2017 15:53 #8027

Upon installing Techtool Pro 9.0.2 I received failure designations after S.M.A.R.T. TEST on three internal hard drives for the first time for attributes 5 and 196. I ran disk scans on all three drives under Techtool Pro no bad blocks/sectors. I have run other software tests and found no problems but now, after buying three new internal harddrives, I have come upon this Forum with a number of posts with questions about these readings using version 9.02. Can you explain why this version raises a failure message when other disk tests do not?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 26 Jan 2017 16:03 #8028

If other SMART tests are reading SMART attributes 5 and 196, they will report the same result. Try the free demo of SMART Utility, from Volitans Software.

There are good descriptions of the SMART attributes here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

As has been noted, the problem is not that the program is reporting bad data, but the proper interpretation of the data. You should contact the maker of the drive to get a definitive interpretation. Some SSD drive makers have used firmware that is reporting normal wear-leveling as if memory cells were bad and were being remapped to spare blocks, causing failures to be reported for the relevant SMART attributes, numbers 5 and 196.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 26 Jan 2017 16:03 #8029

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address, so you do not get a lot of spam.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 26 Jan 2017 18:14 #8030

Thank you for suggestion re user name. How do I change name?

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 26 Jan 2017 19:20 #8031

You are welcome.

Use the My Account link at the top of the page, then Account Information link. Change the "username" field.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 16 Feb 2017 06:16 #8074

I too am showing issues with Attributes 5 and 196, which seems like a LOT more than coincidence, what with poster " This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. " having the EXACT SAME ATTRIBUTE issues, wouldn't you say? I am using the free demo of SMART Utility that you recommended to him to obtain this information.

Attribute 5 is "Reallocated Sector Count" with Type as Pre-fail.
Attribute 196 is a "Reallocated Event Count" with Type as Old age.

I first noticed the S.M.A.R.T. problem using TechTool Pro 9.0.2; however, neither Micromat's "Checkmate" nor Apple's "Disc Utility" is showing anything wrong with S.M.A.R.T. When I called Apple, they said if Disk Utility says it's fine, then it's fine; however, I would have at least thought that Checkmate would have picked up on it since Micromat makes both softwares. I mean, what's up with that?
Attachments:

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 16 Feb 2017 10:56 #8075

Checkmate and Disk Utility do not report as many SMART attributes as TechTool Pro 9 does.

You should contact the makers of the mechanisms in the drives to see what they say about the interpretation of the results.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 20 Feb 2017 04:19 #8084

The iMac whose drive is in question has a Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 Media, 2TB SATA Internal Physical Disc of which 1.16TB are free. I also have an Apple 2TB Apple Time Capsule that I use Time Machine to backup with. Are you saying I should contact Hitachi or Apple?

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 20 Feb 2017 04:38 #8085

The S.M.A.R.T. test makes it clear which drive has been tested (see screen capture below). It is unlikely that an external drive will show up in the test, so I suspect you should contact Hitachi (now HGST).
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2017 04:41 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cello James

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 10 Mar 2017 19:33 #8105

Like rdavidson3 and Cello James, I also have gotten the S.M.A.R.T. notice of impending disk failure with attributes 5 and 196. I had my MacBookPro checked by my Apple-certified tech, who thoroughly tested the HDD including SMART testing. He said TechTool Pro 9.0.2 is "reporting a false positive S.M.A.R.T. test failure. Hard drive passes all diagnostic testing." The disk drive and the entire computer are functioning normally.

He suggested I just uninstall Techtool Pro. I am considering that, but is there any way to stop the constant nagging messages that my drive is about to fail?

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 10 Mar 2017 20:10 #8106

The program is reporting the data from the drive's own firmware.

You can turn off the alert by using the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. See page 9.6 of the pdf version of the manual, in the Help in the TechTool Pro application.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 15 Mar 2017 20:54 #8109

Thanks for the tip on turning it off. However, I don't know if you answered my question. Your post gives the SOURCE of the data ( the drive's own firmware) but that isn't the issue. What I wonder about is your INTERPRETATION of the data, i.e., that my HDD is about to fail. My Apple-certified tech says it doesn't mean that at all. I want to trust TechTool Pro, but don't know if I should.

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 15 Mar 2017 21:47 #8110

I have tried to make it clear in other threads that the interpretation of a few specific S.M.A.R.T. test results with SSD drives is at this time inherently problematic because normal wear-leveling is in some cases being interpreted by the drive itself as remapping of bad blocks to spare blocks.

The reason the program is reporting a S.M.A.R.T. failure is that the current value of the specific attribute is below what is called the threshold value. That is the way all S.M.A.R.T. testing works. If you tried the demo of SMART Utility from Volitans Software, you would get the same result. The problem is with the way the SSD drives have implemented S.M.A.R.T. testing. As always, the best thing to do is to contact the make of the drive. In some cases, they have a firmware update that improves the implementation of the S.M.A.R.T. reporting.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 18 Mar 2017 12:09 by micromattech3.

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 16 Mar 2017 20:29 #8111

Many thanks. Much better explanation and I appreciate it.

S.M.A.R.T. Check in Techtool Pro 9.0.2 shows failing three internal drives 16 Mar 2017 22:02 #8112

You are welcome, and thanks for the opportunity to discover that the explanation with the word "problematic" was not in my own database.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds