Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: S.M.A.R.T. Check -is it valid?

S.M.A.R.T. Check -is it valid? 13 Dec 2016 15:30 #7922

TechToolPro 9 is reporting HD S.M.A.R.T. failures on booth my iMac running Sierra and my MacBookPro running El Capitan. None of my other DiskUtilities find any S.M.A.R.T. problems/failures. Is this a glitch with TTP9 or is just that much better than all the other Disk Utilities? Need to know before I go through expense of buying and installing new HDs. I clone each drive once a week. -But need to know why only TTP9 is reporting S.M.A.R.T. problems/failures.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

S.M.A.R.T. Check -is it valid? 20 Jul 2017 03:33 #8459

Duplicate to be deleted.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

S.M.A.R.T. Check -is it valid? 24 Jul 2017 23:34 #8472

I too have this same question.
I hope i can upload 3 images to assist.
OK I dont even get to upload 1.
Whats the secret?
Now i dont even get a preview/
Attachments:

S.M.A.R.T. Check -is it valid? 24 Jul 2017 23:48 #8473

It appears that you can upload only one image per posting. I have been able to add more later, because I can edit postings.

This thread is a duplicate that I revived in an attempt to fix the counter that shows the number of unapproved postings, which is always showing (1) even when there are none.

If the drive is an SSD drive, you should contact the maker of the drive mechanism. There is an inherent difficulty in interpreting the results of the SMART test for SSDs when the SMART parameters refer to reallocation event count (SMART attribute 196) and reallocated sectors count (SMART attribute 5). The details are in the linked thread.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 Jul 2017 00:15 by micromattech3.

S.M.A.R.T. Check -is it valid? 25 Jul 2017 00:04 #8474

one of the failures is ssd, another is not here see
and what about that? Do we care, does it matter, do what? Thanks
OS image next up
Attachments:

S.M.A.R.T. Check -is it valid? 25 Jul 2017 00:14 #8475

As mentioned, for the SSD drive, you should contact the maker of the drive mechanism.

For a rotational hard drive, a failure for recallocation event count (SMART attribute 196) and reallocated sectors count (SMART attribute 5) means that the drive has remapped so many bad blocks to spare blocks that it no longer has enough spare blocks to work safely. The drive should be replaced. If the drive is still under warranty, a screen capture of the results of the SMART test will help in your warranty claim.

The details about bad blocks on rotational drives are in Surface Scan.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds